BGreco
Joined 6188 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 145 of 154
07 April 2008 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I got a few questions. Does anyone have any shortcuts to making parallel texts? I'm going to make one for Angels and Demons before summer for a big project (I'm sure I'll have a log up. I'm going to try to learn Spanish in a month as a little linguistic experiment), and it's a whole novel, so it'll take a while.

Also, you said if Atamagaii agrees. I know s/he's banned, but you make it seem as if you still have a way of contacting him/her?

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 146 of 154
08 April 2008 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
BGreco wrote:
I got a few questions. Does anyone have any shortcuts to making parallel texts? I'm going to make one for Angels and Demons before summer for a big project (I'm sure I'll have a log up. I'm going to try to learn Spanish in a month as a little linguistic experiment), and it's a whole novel, so it'll take a while.

Also, you said if Atamagaii agrees. I know s/he's banned, but you make it seem as if you still have a way of contacting him/her?

Yes, I have his/her email address, and provide it in PM to anyone who asks.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 148 of 154
24 May 2008 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Lingual Scholar wrote:
Volte,

I have some questions if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all.

Lingual Scholar wrote:

1. What does step 5 comprise?
2. How does the author define 'echoing'? Speaking aloud at the same time as the recording?

See the thread on the active stages of L-R, which is a question-and-answer dialog between atamagaii and an anonymous student (not me). It defines recitation. It uses the term 'shadowing', if you're searching within it, not echoing.

Lingual Scholar wrote:

3. Why is the echoing first done without looking at the written text of the target language?

Because echoing and reading aren't the same thing, as atamagaii says.

My personal experience is that I don't sound the same if I'm echoing what I hear as closely as I can, as opposed to reading and trying to match a recorded native speaker.

Good luck!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 150 of 154
25 May 2008 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Lingual Scholar wrote:
I realize that they aren't the same thing. My question is why is the echoing (without the text in front of you)
done *first* (i.e. before reading aloud with the audio with the text in front of you)?

Thanks for the information, by the way.

I can only speculate, and I'd prefer not to propagate potentially incorrect information. PM me and I'll send you atamagaii's email address so you can ask directly.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 151 of 154
25 May 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Lingual Scholar wrote:
I realize that they aren't the same thing. My question is why is the echoing (without the text in front of you)
done *first* (i.e. before reading aloud with the audio with the text in front of you)?

Thanks for the information, by the way.

An_atamagaii_by_any_other_name wrote:
the reason is simple: when you're looking at the written text you tend to pronounce in your native way, so first you have to learn how to pronounce properly

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version