Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 113 of 154
15 March 2008 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Day 34: 15 minutes L-R.
Day 35: No L-R, several hours of music-only Polish radio.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 114 of 154
22 March 2008 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
The last while has been a disaster for studying. I've managed to work a little on parallel text creation, and listen to some Polish, but not to do L-R. A huge number of factors have intervened, including broken headphones, major computer problems (I've had -3- computers start smoking in the last couple of weeks - and I've had to spend time fixing all of them), death of a relative, preparation for a good friend's birthday, etc, etc, etc.

On the positive side: I've managed to get permission to post a question-answer session on the active phase of L-R, and other people, such as brian00321, have picked up the torch on writing about L-R.

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6031 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 116 of 154
31 March 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
The last while has been a disaster for studying. I've managed to work a little on parallel text creation, and listen to some Polish, but not to do L-R. A huge number of factors have intervened, including broken headphones, major computer problems (I've had -3- computers start smoking in the last couple of weeks - and I've had to spend time fixing all of them), death of a relative, preparation for a good friend's birthday, etc, etc, etc.

I'm curious to hear if you've been able to pursue your studies the last week or so, and how your active phase of Polish L-R is going. I'm still at too low numbers on my L-Ring...

Sorry for filling up your thread with questions, but what software do you use for parallel texts?   Open Office?   I am getting sick of trying to do this in Word (the bugs in the program become VERY apparent quickly), and I'm going to try my hand at using LaTeX for parallel text creation in the next couple days.

Edited by kealist on 31 March 2008 at 11:26pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 117 of 154
01 April 2008 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
kealist wrote:

I'm curious to hear if you've been able to pursue your studies the last week or so, and how your active phase of Polish L-R is going. I'm still at too low numbers on my L-Ring...

Nope. I've had a bad flu and a number of headaches; I wasn't even able to finish a single novel in plain old English with no audio.

When I resume Polish, I plan to do another incubation period, albeit probably a shorter one, before pursing active work. Small active bits of Polish are dancing around in my head still, which is good, but I'm pretty sure I'll need some time to get back up to speed. Odds are extremely good that it won't be this week; I'm booked solid with other plans.

kealist wrote:

Sorry for filling up your thread with questions, but what software do you use for parallel texts?   Open Office?   I am getting sick of trying to do this in Word (the bugs in the program become VERY apparent quickly), and I'm going to try my hand at using LaTeX for parallel text creation in the next couple days.

Don't worry about asking questions!

I tried using OpenOffice. It would have delays of 30 seconds or more whenever the number of lines would change; it was unusable. The newest Microsoft Office was better (on XP under VirtualBox; on OS X, I have an old version without Unicode support!) - I found it quite usable.

My original inclination was also to use LaTeX, but I thought a little harder about it and decided against it; I don't want to do anywhere near that much typing. Coaxing LaTeX to do layouts other than its defaults can be an exercise in tedious frustration (and I say this as someone who's written a tool for displaying artwork in it, numerous 20-50 page documents, papers, etc). I'll be curious to see how it goes for you.

I'm currently thinking about another approach, but I'd prefer not to mention it until I'm convinced it's not a waste of time; there's no point having multiple people fall down the wrong rabbit hole.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 118 of 154
01 April 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Parallel text creation should be pretty easy in Pages.

duallanguage
United States
duallanguagebooks.co
Joined 5877 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 119 of 154
01 April 2008 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
It's great to see others are working with parallel texts! They're the best. Especially with audio.

Myself, I use Word 2003, but when the file size gets unwieldy I start a new document. It usually starts slowing down at 200 pages or so.

Good luck with preparing the texts!

-David Eastman

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6031 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 120 of 154
01 April 2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Parallel text creation should be pretty easy in Pages.

Can you give the reasoning behind this? Are there certain features that would be particularly beneficial?

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version