Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
154 messages over 20 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 19 20 Next >>
Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5943 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 17 of 154
10 February 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Oh she did? I am still trying out the original L-R plan at step 1, maybe I'll do phonetic study too. Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 154
10 February 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
Oh she did? I am still trying out the original L-R plan at step 1, maybe I'll do phonetic study too. Thanks

Yep. Found via the google query:

site:how-to-learn-any-language.com intitle:"listening-reading" pronounciation atamagaii

Edited by Volte on 10 February 2008 at 6:12am

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 6001 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 19 of 154
10 February 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Quote:
(To atamagaii: Yes, I know it's production too early;

Dear LG,
I told you many a time, "Do it your own way". I do not mind, on the contrary, I AM glad. I do not expect anybody to comply. It's not a perfect academy. Besides, negative knowledge is very important, too.
Any time you need my help I'll be there.

Be happy, go lucky.

Powodzenia! Do zobaczenia! Tam, gdzie ludzie nie majÄ… cienia.

Radosne nic
bez granic
poezJA

Edited by atamagaii on 10 February 2008 at 6:19am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 20 of 154
10 February 2008 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
atamagaii wrote:
Quote:
(To atamagaii: Yes, I know it's production too early;

Dear LG,
I told you many a time, "Do it your own way". I do not mind, on the contrary, I AM glad. I do not expect anybody to comply. Besides, negative knowledge is very important, too.

Yep - sometimes I need to hit my head on the wall before I realize that it was a really stupid idea. Likewise, seeing where advice (both 'negative' (what not to do) and 'positive' (what to do)) holds and falls down can best be tested by checking both what happens when it or part of it is followed, and conversely, not followed, as long as the potential consequences aren't too bad. Given that, counting French, I have 14 years of doing languages what I currently believe to be a wrong way, I'm not too terrified of a little further damage to ones I have years of mis-doing.

atamagaii wrote:

Any time you need my help I'll be there.

Be happy, go lucky.

Thank you, and the same to you.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 21 of 154
10 February 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Day 1 of L-R take 2:

Today started off late, and I found myself putting off L-R. I listened to Polish radio for several hours, followed by some Polish music/poems. At 4pm, I started L-R; between 4 and 12, I did 3 hours of L-R, interspersed with Polish radio and non-language activities (I mean 3 hours of time actively spent on L-R, with the other 5 on Polish radio and non-language things). All told, I spent well over 5 hours listening to Polish radio/music/poetry, but I'm not sure how much more, not having timed it.

I've passively learned at least dozens of words, and probably closer to on the order of a hundred. I've been using 'The Master and Margarita' as my text, and have gone through the first 5 chapters. It contains a lot of rather long sentences, and both word and clause order is often different from English. As in the first attempt, I can usually map the clauses from one language to another, but this time, I'm managing to map words much more often as well.

For some reason, I'm finding the text a lot easier this time. It may be because I'm more familiar with it, or because I've done a bit more reading of 'serious' literature in the meanwhile (with "The Name of the Rose", for instance). The upshot of this is that I frequently read the English, then the Polish along with the audio, without losing my concentration; I pick up words very much more effectively this way. I'm doing this for a minority of paragraphs, but a significant minority, and it accounts for almost all the words I consider myself to passively have learned today.

I've also found that I'm not getting tired of L-R at all, despite having put in 3 hours, fairly near my previous maximum. I paused as I'd previously decided to post at midnight on my progress, but I could have easily continued, and intend to after this post.

My plan for tomorrow is to mix L-R, explicit grammar study, and Polish radio and music into the discretionary time I do have. I also intend to post daily logs of this experiment.

Finally: atama-ga-ii has been banned again, and decided to leave the forum. I consider this to be very sad, and the forum to be impoverished by his/her absence. I also consider the administrator's auto-replacement of his/her nick, so that when I merely type his/her nick without the dashes: atama-ga-ii becomes ' the Troll known as atamagaii', to be very childish and unnecessarily spiteful -- a trolling below most of those of atama-ga-ii, frankly.

Edited by Volte on 10 February 2008 at 5:30pm

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 22 of 154
10 February 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Day 1 of L-R take 2:

Finally: atama-ga-ii has been banned again, and decided to leave the forum. I consider this to be very sad, and the forum to be impoverished by his/her absence. I also consider the administrator's auto-replacement of his/her nick, so that when I merely type his/her nick without the dashes: atama-ga-ii becomes ' the Troll known as atamagaii', to be very childish and unnecessarily spiteful -- a trolling below most of those of atama-ga-ii, frankly.

I agree whole-heartedly with you on this point. This seems like a very childish way to act. No need for the auto-replacement.

Bonne chance with your Polish studies! Maybe you could find some Chopin letter's wrote in Polish on the internet somewhere.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 23 of 154
10 February 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
vanityx3 wrote:

Bonne chance with your Polish studies! Maybe you could find some Chopin letter's wrote in Polish on the internet somewhere.

Merci beaucoup. I hadn't realized that Chopin had written letters in Polish; I may look for those later on.

Edited by Volte on 10 February 2008 at 7:50pm

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 24 of 154
11 February 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
vanityx3 wrote:

Merci beaucoup. I hadn't realized that Chopin had written letters in Polish; I may look for those later on.

I don't know for sure, but I thought it may be a possibility that he wrote some letters in Polish, maybe to family. I know he wrote mostly in French. But he always kept the letters from his first love in an enveloped signed in Polish, "My sorrow". I don't know the Polish for this though.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version