aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6419 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 49 of 96
17 February 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I am using assimil and have found it to be an excellent and easy to use program. However I have to agree with the admisistrator that it will not give you the depth nor the breadth that FSI will give you. I do believe that Assimil is the top supplement to FSI. They complement each like ying and yang. One FSI weakness is being a bit dated whereas Assimil is up to the minute. I also believe Assimil might hold the edge in vocabulary in some of the languages. Some FSI courses are better than others. I believe FSI teaches greater automaticity. Granted different people have different learning styles but it pays to be able to adapt. At first I was totally put off by FSI. But decided that I could not exclude it from my program as a major component, not a stand alone but a part, especially if my goal was to approach fluency as closely as possible.   I disciplined myself to make it work for me. So why the debate over which is best and which to use? Let's use both! They are each excellent in their own ways! Of course at some point authenic materials designed for native speakers are a must. By the way, is there an Assimil Mandarin for English speakers available?

Edited by Cage on 17 February 2007 at 5:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6387 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 50 of 96
17 February 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I like yourself believe in the use of many programms to learn a language, im not about to slate anything I have'nt used. Im also a major fan of the michel thomas courses. I believe the Assimil courses would be absolutly great if it were not for the translations. Im aware this isn't a FSI thread but where can one buy them? (In England)

P.S - I believe assimil do a chinese course but not sure which type.

Edited by Roger on 17 February 2007 at 5:44pm

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6419 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 51 of 96
17 February 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Roger, have you tried multilingualbooks.com? audio forum.com?

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 52 of 96
17 February 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
They complement each like ying and yang.

Great quote!

Guided imitation versus guided immersion has been hot topic on this forum, besides “basic fluency”, for some time.

Cage wrote:
So why the debate over which is best and which to use? Let's use both! They are each excellent in their own ways!

Very true! Assimil is much more of a vocabulary centric course while FSI is more sentence pattern based. If you adapt both of them to your learning they can act as two scissor blades to slice through a language.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds

Message 53 of 96
17 February 2007 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Roger wrote:
Im aware this isn't a FSI thread but where can one buy them? (In England)

You should just be able to download it here, but you might have to wait a while for Italian FSI.

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6319 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 54 of 96
17 February 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
      But assimil is only a Problem causing programme, it has caused nothing but frustration for many many learners. I do know its helped loads of people but how can you learn with such rough translations?
      I thought some FSI courses were supposed to be rubbish aswell, namely the italian one which has been said to be completley useless. Im not out to ruin assimil, its just useless in my opinion (note: my opinion)
      It dosent say how much those FSI courses are. is that all they offer? and do the courses they offer include advanced material?

Edited by Vinnie on 17 February 2007 at 6:11pm

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds

Message 55 of 96
17 February 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Vinnie wrote:
       But assimil is only a Problem causing programme, it has caused nothing but frustration for many many learners. I do know its helped loads of people but how can you learn with such rough translations?
      I thought some FSI courses were supposed to be rubbish aswell, namely the italian one which has been said to be completley useless. Im not out to ruin assimil, its just useless in my opinion (note: my opinion)
      It dosent say how much those FSI courses are. is that all they offer? and do the courses they offer include advanced material?

Vinnie, you are the only one so far to have rubbished both FSI and Assimil in one post.:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6319 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 56 of 96
17 February 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
      In one post yes, and im not sayin FSI is rubbish im saying i heard its rubbish. Also i find pimsleur tend to think learners are little kids or summin. any more language courses i could review?

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version