Joined 6470 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 96
14 January 2007 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
The key on assimil is WRITE the lesson too, not just heard it. I have studied German, Japanese and French with Assimil, and if you write the lessons after hearing and reading em till you understand it, it works. And the 2ยบ wave its important to, so, what you have incorporated in "rules" will pass to be incorparated by the intuition, its just a mental process.

Assimil books owns

Hola Guido:

What method do you use with Assimil?
Do you write lessons in the first wave or in the second wave? Do you do more than two waves?

1 person has voted this message useful

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6319 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 96
14 January 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I have completed Assimil Italian.
                                       I used it completing only 3 lessons per week, but doing the 3 lessons during the whole week. This allowed me to really get all the material in my mind.

I would start a lesson simply by listening to the cd and reading the text, then i would pause and repeat. I do not worry about pronounciation too much at this point. Once through the lesson i would cover the Italian text and would try to write the lesson out (translating from english to Italian), if i could not remember a particular part i would simply look at the italian text. Once i had done this for the whole lesson i would then leave it and go about my daily tasks. A few hours later i would then read the text again and listen to the cd, cover the Italian text again and translate the lesson from english to Italian. The difference this time being that id rarely make a mistake. The next day i would review all i had learned the previous.

I had to use this method because of work, so it was purly by accident that i discovered this way of doing it. But the first few lessons i completed were to the standard instructions, and i can honestly say i did't remember much until i started with this method. Yes it may have taken me about 9 months to complete, but that doesnt matter. After all you are wanting to aquire the language and remember it not get it in a race where you dont remember it. And now i can recall nearly all of the lessons when i choose.

Edited by Vinnie on 14 January 2007 at 8:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6323 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 11 of 96
14 January 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
]

Hola Guido:

Do you write lessons in the first wave or in the second wave? Do you do more than two waves?

This is what i do: write every lesson (all of em), but when im on lesson 50 (which one i already wrote) i read the "my mother language tongue text, but spelling it in the target language"... and it works... Ya, sometimes you forget some expression and words of, for example, the french Argot (popular part of the language).

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6470 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 12 of 96
14 January 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
slucido wrote:
]

Hola Guido:

This is what i do: write every lesson (all of em), but when im on lesson 50 (which one i already wrote) i read the "my mother language tongue text, but spelling it in the target language"... and it works... Ya, sometimes you forget some expression and words of, for example, the french Argot (popular part of the language).

If I understand your steps are:

1-Read and listen every day a lesson in target language.
and after write the lesson.

2-After lesson 50, your start from the first lesson and translate from your native language (second wave) and continue with first wave.

It seems you use the standard Assimil method, but writing the lessons, isn't it?

Do your repeat aloud the lessons in the first wave?

In the second wave, do you translate speaking aloud or writing or both?

Edited by slucido on 14 January 2007 at 5:16pm

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6387 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 13 of 96
15 January 2007 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
It may seem standard but writing has a major difference in helping one understand the language.

Thanks vinnie your method is similar to mine except i do one lesson per day.

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6753 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 14 of 96
18 January 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor, may I ask what your timing is and how many lessons you do per day when learning with your method?

Edited by Zorndyke on 18 January 2007 at 12:31pm

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 15 of 96
18 January 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
Linguamor, may I ask what your timing is and how many lessons you do per day when learning with your method?

In the example I have given above, I would be doing 10-12 lessons per session, 5-6 new lessons and 5-6 of the immediately preceding lessons. However, in order to proceed at this pace, the language would have to be relatively easy, either because it was related to one I already knew, e.g. Italian after French, or German after Norwegian, or because I had already used other materials in the language. With a more difficult language, e.g. Greek, Russian, the pace would be slower, 2-3 new lessons and 2-3 of the immediately preceding lessons. Depending on the time I had available, the "sessions" would often be broken up into smaller "mini-sessions" - I might do two of the preceding lessons in one "mini-session", three more in another "mini-session" later in the day, and then a couple of new lessons the next day.

The goal of proceeding through language learning materials this way was to assimilate the basic structure of the language and 2500-3000 of the most frequent words and phrases as quickly as possible so that I could get on with using the language, i.e. reading, watching movies and TV, and conversing with speakers of the language.

Edited by Linguamor on 20 January 2007 at 2:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6753 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 16 of 96
18 January 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the reply, Linguamor.
I will use this method for Swedish and see how well it works for me.

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version