Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 177 of 314
07 February 2015 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm for an output-based challenge. It can be numerical (= write a
100-word paragraph. I'd also count translating a 100-word paragraph into English as an
output-based challenge because this would involve working on the text really
intensively, something I personally have trouble doing, in terms of motivation,
patience, practice etc. What I wouldn't like to see would be challenges such as "read
100 words", "listen to 100 minutes of audio", "do 100 Anki reps", but this I've
already made myself clear about in my previous post, I assume. Now, translating even
into source language involves a little more involvement than a passive challenge,
indeed, so I count it as an output challenge, too.

"Read 100 words" and the like would be too generic, and really, not that much of a
challenge since we already do that anyway. I'm at a stage where I can take a
"translate 100 words" is possible, but I'm also trying to think of what the absolute
beginners can do. Translate 10-20 words of text or passage? Or is that too easy/too
hard?

How about memorize 50 lines of dialogue/lyrics and test yourself by saying them
without looking or listening? That could be scaled accordingly for different levels.
And you'll be working both your output skills in that you would be "speaking" through
reciting, and your input since you wouldn't be producing anything original.

But eventually we'll have to phase out of this and really have real output challenges
anyway, so yes, I see your point Expug.

:S

Let me know.

Edited by Woodsei on 07 February 2015 at 3:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 178 of 314
07 February 2015 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
You know, I'm starting to think that just holding a challenge without necessarily
sticking to a numerical count might be less stressful and better in the long run. At
least we'll be able to do all we can without feeling like not meeting the number means
failing.

So a translation challenge? Or an oral challenge?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5447 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 179 of 314
07 February 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I think the song idea is a great start. I say we should ease into the output challenges.
We can start off with reciting a song's lyrics. Then maybe next month we could do a
translation challenge.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4147 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 180 of 314
07 February 2015 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I really like the song lyrics idea. At least I'd get some motivation to finally learn to play something
new ;)
Another idea could be giving the participants two options, one being an output challenge, and one
being an input challenge.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5333 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 181 of 314
08 February 2015 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
"Read 100 words" and the like would be too generic, and really, not that much of a challenge since we already do that
anyway. I'm at a stage where I can take a "translate 100 words" is possible, but I'm also trying to think of what the absolute
beginners can do. Translate 10-20 words of text or passage? Or is that too easy/too hard?

The point about the "100 challenge" that makes it scale so well, though, is that the challenge itself doesn't dictate 100 of what, only the
number and time period is specified (e.g., 100; one month). This not only allows flexibility in input vs. output (as each participant
effectively chooses one's own challenge), but also in scale. If two members both chose to apply the 100 to reading, one who is fairly
advanced may find themselves only properly challenged by 100 pages yet a beginner may still struggle with 100 lines or even 100 words
of text.

In my opinion the challenge should specify a task or a quantity but not both to allow each participant to scale the challenge appropriately
to that participant's own level in the language and available time. For example, if we are memorizing a song, then I wouldn't specify word
count or length since that allows scaling for language level and available time. I personally would tackle a longer and/or more complex
Korean song than I would a Japanese song for that same challenge. So for Korean I'd have several options and would pick something
appropriate for my level, but for Japanese I would likely pick something fairly short and repetitive.

Also remember that some of us are doing more than one challenge language so we have to double or triple any presented challenge
making scaling options a plus.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4147 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 182 of 314
08 February 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Additional resource for those interested in the Cursive Script. The page might take a moment to load.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 183 of 314
08 February 2015 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Ok, thanks for pointing this out, Warp. So, since it's already the 8th of the month :), I was thinking of either:

1. Memorize a song in your TL and recite it at the end of the month without looking at text or shadowing with the audio.
Obviously this is for advanced learners. For intermediates, memorize a section of the song, like the first part up until
the chorus ends. For beginners, memorize only the chorus, and you'll find songs in the pop genre fairly repetitive.

I can't help but think it might me still be hard for absolute beginners.

2. As Warp3 suggested, and yuhakko earlier, use the number 100 in an activity of your choosing everyday (e.g. 100 minutes
of reading daily), post it here on the team thread so we know, and stick to it till the end of the challenge. Since
everyone can gauge better their own level of language, the activities chosen will be approachable, yet challenging. And
it also echoes Ezy Ryder's suggestion to have the option of making the challenge either output or input based.

Ok, so now we can all make a choice, and I will decide today which one we'll go with, depending on how many want
to do what, and then the less favored of the two will be pushed to next month.

It seems CZ and Ezy Ryder are willing to go with the song idea. Who else is up for participating?

N.B. Thanks for posting the cursive script link, Ezy Ryder! I was looking for something like this for a while now. The
Yamasa institute also gives out the script for the individual characters, but it's Japanese.

Edited by Woodsei on 08 February 2015 at 7:34pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5333 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 184 of 314
08 February 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Either idea is fine with me and, as you noted, we can do the other one next month. One big
point in the favor of pushing the "100 challenge" to March, though, is that we are already a
full week into February. By pushing the 100 challenge into March and thus knowing about it
in advance, we would both have time to select what we want to do "100" of and have the
opportunity to utilize a full month for the challenge, rather than 3 weeks.

Edited by Warp3 on 08 February 2015 at 7:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version