United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 145 of 314
20 January 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
NZ, I definitely understand what you mean. No need for apologies! I realized that while
here on the forum, and on a topic we all understand, it could be written the way Warp3
wrote it, but in more formal settings, it's better form to have it as you stated.

Thank you for pointing out this different. I'm learning a lot through these discussions,
and this is essentially why we are all here anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4400 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 146 of 314
24 January 2015 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
suzukaze wrote:
I wouldn't get much far from こんにちわ 涼風 です XD

Well, then, there you go. You've got that covered :D

Yay, something is better than nothing XD

Woodsei wrote:
Jpod101 is very good. Timmy did post a similar question to yours early in the thread, so you might want to look out for our comments in case you haven't already.

Yes, I saw Timmy's post and that actually pushed me to try Jpod101. The friend who recommended me the course checked it out very quickly because he choose to study another language shortly after so I wasn't sure it was actually good.

Woodsei wrote:
I rambled. Let me know if you have any questions!

You didn't ramble at all! Your tips were very useful. Jpod101 is indeed a bit overwhelming, my friend gave me all the material he downloaded and there's a lot to go through. With French I only did a couple of courses (Pimsleur, Assimil, and a bit of Michel Thomas) and then moved to native material. I think that accessing that kind of material quite early helped a lot my comprehension skills. Ideally, I would like to follow the same path with Japanese. Too bad I won't be able to rely on language similarity this time :P

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 147 of 314
24 January 2015 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi Suzukaze!

Jpod isn't something that you have to go through first before you access native
material. It's very useful when you use it in conjunction with native content, because
the speech is almost as if you're watching a Jdorama or an anime. It will help get you
there faster, if you're the kind of person who might get muddled going through native
material alone. If you like structure, you can definitely use a shorter course like
Assimil first. I didn't finish it, not because it isn't good, but because that's just
me :) But out of what I've seen, Assimil Japanese has been very good at giving you
graded sentence patterns (you see almost all the basic sentence patterns that you
need, really), and without all the noise of exercises and extra material that isn't
very useful. If I choose courses, I prefer the Assimil approach rather than the
traditional grammar approach, because it gives you what you need to get there, and the
method itself can be adapted to how you use native material (e.g. drama episode,
Japanese subtitles, English subs if you need them). I learn grammar better when I
encounter it out in the wild and puzzle over it and then look it up, and Assimil does
that, albeit in an artificial fashion. You can also use Tae Kim's grammar guide as a
concise explanation of the basic and common grammar points to jump start your
comprehension, and reserve the reference grammars for later. These are all ways to get
to authentic sources as soon as possible. I'd be lying if I didn't say Assimil hasn't
helped me. I used only the first book, and I didn't do it as was intended, but treated
it more like a reader, where I listened to the audio, and read the Japanese text, and
only looked at the word-for-word translation to figure the meanings of the different
words/structures. Early in the first couple of lessons the translation might have been
helpful, but they confused me, basically because the word order is different, and
because the gist of the meaning, and intonation of the Japanese wasn't accurately
portrayed by the English. What I mean is, translations, no matter how good they are,
can never really capture the subtle nuances of the native language. So I only used the
literal one to just loo up what I didn't know, and to keep myself in Japanese-only
mode. I also did it only once. As you can see, it was probably a very sloppy way of
going about it, but even that helped me tons. I was able to follow an anime a lot
better afterwards. Yes, I didn't now what was being said for the most part, but I
understood a lot more words and expressions than before, the audio became clearer and
easier to follow, and I could at least tell what is a noun, adjective, where the verb
was, the tenses, sentence copulas and compound structure, etc. I guess if I had
studied Assimil as I was supposed to do, I might have gained a lot more, but oh well.

I'm talking to you about Assimil because that's really the only course I checked
thoroughly, and not others. You can use it as you did with French and then dive into
native material. If you still need the added support as you go through authentic
sources in the early stages, Jpod will definitely help get you there, and I believe is
really all you need. Even in the intermediate and advanced stages. The argument for
Jpod is how comprehensive and rich it is. With Assimil, you'll practice lots of
structures in a way that doesn't focus too much on grammar, yet you're being
introduced to it. With Jpod, you are basically using and re-using these structures in
condensed ways, through tons of exposure to hundreds of words/expressions, and
different contexts. It also gives you the various politeness levels in a very
comprehensive manner that doesn't feel like an afterthought. Many dialogues have
combined politeness levels, which mirror real content. I haven't seen it done that
well or that naturally in any other course. I have yet to see to see a source that is
as dense and rich in words, collocations, and idiomatic usages as Jpod, plus all the
useful cultural tips. I wish I could stick to it myself, and really hope to pick it
up. It's just that currently I'm enjoying using authentic sources by themselves a lot
more. But who knows. I might sneak in Jpod because it could be a good way to measure
my progress and know where I am level-wise. And I'm sure I'll learn tons, too.

Edited by Woodsei on 25 January 2015 at 9:55am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5591 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 148 of 314
25 January 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
@Crush

Thanks a lot for encouragement! I started to learn Mandarin several years ago, but I had no practice during last 3
years.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4430 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 149 of 314
25 January 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi all, as I talked about in my log, I want to find a way to increase my listening skills in Japanese. With that in mind, I started to go through my old
bookmarks. As a result, I've found (again) quite a few ressources which I thought might be of use to some of you.

Njuku: A website which hasn't been updated for a while but with loads of rather short texts coupled with the audio and some
vocabulary under each one. They are rather simple as the topic is usually centered around the Japanese language itself.

Japanese Classical Literature at bedtime: This website is rather well-known (I've seen it here in the past), but here
you have it again. It is a composition of many old Japanese stories written and read outloud. As the stories are old, there's usually loads of "not very
common" vocabulary. Still, might be good practice.

Bauddha: Loads of stories in bilingual form, English on the left and Japanese on the right. I have gone through much
of the website, but it seems there are also speeches from some people (saw Bill Clinton's first inaugural speech). Surely good practice for those who are
hesitating to dive in native literature.

ECIS: A website very bad-looking but seems like good practice. There are 3 levels
(intermediate, Advanced, Superior) and they seem different in purpose. I checked one only (advanced) and the point was to fill the gaps in the transcript
after watching the video.

Nihongoperapera: A guy who wrote about his experiences with the different JLPTs. He has good tips and a few links
to more good ones. A good read.

Music PV: Not to study, but a website with the new Japanese music coming out. All in Japanese but, hey, we all gotta dive in
at one point right?

Finally, on Nihongo Perapera, I saw a link to the website's owner's other website : Oh My Japan which is about connecting
people to Japanese people to practice (like interpals and what not but specifically for Japanese). I'll probably try it out to increase my output of Japanese.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4595 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 150 of 314
25 January 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
@yuhakko: Thank you :) I was about to add most of them until I saw your post. Music PV is
new for me, though, so I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.

Since you've asked for more ways to increase your listening, I have a bunch of sites I've
bookmarked, so I'll post them here shortly for you, and anyone else who might be
interested.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6350 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 151 of 314
27 January 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Here's my self-introduction in Korean and English (corrected on lang-8):

안녕하세요! 저는 라트비아의 수도 리가에 살고 있는 에비타라고 합니다. 제 나이는 33살이에요. 대학에서 컴퓨터 공학을 전공했고 지금 소프트웨어 테스터로 일해요. 한국어를 배운 지 거의 삼 년 되었어요.

사람들이 저한테 왜 한국어를 배우고 싶냐고 물어보면 항상 대답하기 어려워요. 삼 년 전에 한국 드라마 하나도 못 보고 K-Pop도 듣지 못했어요. 사실은 저는 그때 실업자라서 시간이 많았어요. 외국어에 원래 관심이 많이 있었지만 유럽의 언어밖에 생각이 없었어요. 하지만 2012년 3월에 갑자기 아시아 언어 공부해 보기로 마음먹었어요. 중국어와 일본어와 한국어 중에서 한국어를 선택했어요. 처음에는 그냥 한국어는 라트비아어와 어떻게 다른지 호기심이 있었는데 나중에 빨리 푹 빠졌어요.

------------------------------

Hello!

My name is Evita and I live in Riga, which is the capital city of Latvia. I am 33 years old. I studied computer science at university and at the moment I'm working as a software tester. I have been learning Korean for almost three years.

I always have difficulty answering when people ask me why I want to learn Korean. Three years ago, I hadn't seen a single Korean drama and I didn't listen to K-Pop either. Actually I was unemployed at that time and therefore I had a lot of free time. I've always been interested in foreign languages but only the European ones. In March 2012 I suddenly decided to try to learn an Asian language. I considered Korean, Chinese and Japanese and I chose Korean because I liked how it sounded. At first I was just curious about the differences between Korean and Latvian but I quickly fell in love with Korean.

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3469 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 152 of 314
28 January 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Introduction in Korean:

안녕하세요?
저는 NZ입니다. 저는일본/브라질사람 입니다.
한국어를4주일공부하고 있습니다.
잘 부탁합니다. *

Hello!
I am Nieng Zhonghan. I am Japanese/Brazilian.
I studied Korean for 4 weeks. **

*I have no idea how to translate this expression.
**Most of times I have been looking at Korean resources, so actually I haven’t really
started seriously yet.

Introduction in Chinese

大家好!我是Nieng Zhonghan。

我喜歡學語言,所以我決定在家學漢語, 德語和韓語.

我覺得漢語是非常好聽的語言。不管怎麼樣, 我今年要好好去學中文才行。我就是這麼覺得 的。

我大部分的時間都在上課,可是沒事時我喜歡 跟朋友去逛街,聊天,看電影,肆虐,哈哈

我家有寵物,有兩隻狗狗,一隻長頸鹿,還有 一隻恐龍。阿,不是兩隻狗狗, 是三隻狗狗. 牠們都很可
愛,
對我們來說牠們就是我們家人。

我就是這樣的人,好高興認識你。

My rough translation***:

Hello everyone! I am Nieng Zhonghan.

I like learning languages; therefore I decided to learn Chinese, German and Korean.

Chinese is a beautiful language. So, no matter what, this year I am going to learn it.

I spend most of the time at work, but during my free time I like I like chatting with
friends, watching movies and raging (committing atrocities).

My family is constituted of two dogs, a giraffe, and a dinosaur. Ah, not two dogs, but
three dogs. They are all cute and they are part of my family.

Nice to meet you.

***I am not good at translating as I haven’t thought in English when I was writing. I
had to make some adaptions in order to make the sentences not too weird in English,
but still they are. If I translate it too literally, then, I would lose it
semantically, syntactically and morphologically, though any other better translations
are possible if I take more time thinking.

Now more seriously, let me write another introduction...

大家好!

最近我一直在用一種系統的,具有學術性且更 加明智的方式來學習一些語言。

我的內心特質是喜歡相對性和跨學科性,我真 的認為,只有通過整體的方式才能研究例如數 學,物理
學,
天文學,統計學,文學,語言學,歷史,哲學 ,宗教,心理學,人文學等科目。我只想成為 一名充滿好

心的學者,但那並不意味著我只是專注於某些 領域的分散性的知識,而是能通過一直學習從 而建立一種
全面
的思維方式。我一生致力於追求學習不斷挑戰 自我,擴充眼界,而學習語言就是我的方法。

I am not going to translate it literally here as I didn't like my previous
translations. So, let me excuse here and write the general idea of my text.

Basically I wrote (or I wanted to say) that I have been looking for a holistic
approach of learning interdisciplinary subjects (in my concept and in my definition it
is so) such as mathematics, physics, astronomy, statistics; literature, linguistics;
history, philosophy, religion, psychology among other humanities fields. I want to
devote my life in order to challenge myself in many ways and learning a language is
one of the approaches to reach some of my specific goals.

This is all I can write actively now. Yes, it is nothing yet, but I couldn’t remember
many things without taking a look at my dictionary, textbooks and grammar. When I
write, I try to give all my best at that moment so that I can really know what my
current level is without looking at other resources. In February if I have the
patience and time, I will try to read again my text looking at the right words in a
dictionary, checking at the correct writing (orthography) and checking the grammar
books. Corrections from more experienced learners or native speakers would be always
welcome.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 28 January 2015 at 3:04pm

This discussion contains 314 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version