Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 57 of 111
16 August 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
My maths is a little rusty, but maybe it's like a graph that starts out like a straight
line graph with a positive slope, and then gradually rounds to a not quite horizontal
asymptotic curve, always increasing, but slowly, slowly, slowly.

Hence the so-called 80-20 "law" coming into effect, the better you know a language, or
in
other words, diminishing returns setting in, when seasoned HTLALers start looking for
another language (or digging one off the shelf / out of the drawer, that they've been
saving for this time).

EDIT:

This was in response to Patrickwillens' post here:
here

Edited by montmorency on 16 August 2014 at 10:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4815 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 58 of 111
16 August 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I would say the realistic fast-pace-learning times for cefr levels in european languages go like this:

A1: two or three weeks from the beginning
A2: a month-six weeks from A1
B1: two-four months from A2
B2: six months-a year from B1
C1: a year or two
C2: passive skills in a year as well, active after several years or never for many of us.

For exemple, I don't believe I'll ever have all the active skills at C2 level for any single language as I would need a long time immersion.

But this table of mine counts with two prerequisites:

1.It is a standard european language (I mean slavic, Germanic or romance). German, French or Polish could be, in my opinion, following this pattern for natives of other european languages. Celtic and other such languages could be a different story.

2.It is a language with enough resources of various kinds. Even some larger languages have a huge gap of quite nothing for the intermediates and the native material is hard to get from abroad.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4474 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 59 of 111
16 August 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
For Swedish and Norwegian, you can get from 0 to B2 in 6 months' time provided that you study 5-6 hours per day.

Edited by Medulin on 16 August 2014 at 9:57pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 60 of 111
16 August 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I did it in that time and without that amount of study ;)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 61 of 111
16 August 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Yes, but you are hardly normal. And you know that I say that with all possible love and affection :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 62 of 111
17 August 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
No, I am Dutch, it helps.
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4936 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 63 of 111
17 August 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

How long did it take you to get where you are now with Mandarin? I'm going on the assumption that you are not yet at a B2 level, since it's still listed under "studying", but maybe I'm mistaken (HTLAL's method of listing what one speaks vs studies is not all that flexible, IMO).

I think I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but it took me a good four years of studying Turkish before I moved it to "speaks", and even then it was a year after I took and passed my B2 TELC exams.

R.
==

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 64 of 111
17 August 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
tarvos wrote:
I did it in that time and without that amount of study
;)

How long did it take you to get where you are now with Mandarin? I'm going on the
assumption that you are not yet at a B2 level, since it's still listed under
"studying", but maybe I'm mistaken (HTLAL's method of listing what one speaks vs
studies is not all that flexible, IMO).

I think I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but it took me a good four
years of studying Turkish before I moved it to "speaks", and even then it was a year
after I took and passed my B2 TELC exams.

R.
==

We were talking about Swedish. Mandarin is another story entirely but I have just
started and as such I'm pretty much A0. I started like 1,5 weeks ago. I don't find it
terrifying at all and I have no idea what everyone else is complaining about. Sure, the
tones take some work, and I can imagine the writing posing a problem. Other than that,
I don't see the trouble?

The thing is that it is partly dependent on mentality. Mandarin gets a bad rap because
of the writing system (and I can say that that is something you might struggle with),
however I don't find it that bad apart from the characters. The tones are certainly a
unique aspect and you do have to work on them diligently, but it's perfectly doable and
I find that tones always assimilate in a way to the suprasegmental sound of a language
(much as the Swedish melody sounds different in isolation than in longer spoken
material).

Will it take longer to assimilate? Yes, but that's more to do with the fact that you
have to deal with alien vocabulary. That means you can take less shortcuts. But even
then it's perfectly doable, and Mandarin has certain advantages in vocabulary - shorter
words, some words play different roles depending on the context (e.g. a word may be a
noun or a verb simultaneously depending on context etc.). There's much less explicit
morphology to learn. Mandarin stacks words together more logically too (pig meat
instead of pork, etc.).

Eventually, learning another language consists of tricks and tips like this. Nor am
I afraid of Turkish, Finnish, Hungarian or whatever else outlandish language you wish
to throw at me. All I need is a connection to the language and a practical part of my
life in which I can set aside time for its use. As I will probably be going to China,
in the case of Mandarin that's guaranteed. I don't really consider languages more in
terms of intrinsic difficulty - I hate that terminology.

The biggest step in language learning is not any intrinsic trick to grammar or
vocabulary - that's a cognitive aspect you can internalise and learn. It's about
mentality and posing yourself challenges and striving to improve. Certain things, like
5 B2 in 1 year, is something you don't have the time for - brains do have a capacity
limit - but in a few years it's definitely possible. It's all up to how well you use
your time.

Saying 4 years actually doesn't mean much to me - 4 years of what? Consistent
immersion? Sitting around and listening to the radio? It all matters.

B2, I find, is a particularly nice goal because it allows you to function relatively
autonomously without too much strain involved. But I have different goals for different
languages and sometimes professional skills are required, sometimes they're not.
Failure and success are way more dependent on the way you measure them than the actual
level you attain.

Edited by tarvos on 17 August 2014 at 8:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version