Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4155 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 73 of 111
18 August 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, I'd like to point out two things. First one, some Chinese languages can be written also with Latin alphabet (e.g.,
Taiwanese Hokkien).
Secondly; my experience with reading Chinese characters might be fairly limited, but so far my impression is, that you
don't really need to see every single stroke of each character. When I read, I just see the shapes of characters (it's sort
of like "jizz"), and that's enough for recognition. I generally don't have to disassemble each character into it's radicals
and their strokes. The most extreme case I've experienced, was watching a not-so-high-resolution video, where the
strokes of the characters in the subtitles pretty much just melted together, nevertheless only a minority of them was
unreadable (to me, and probably just because they were unknown to me, which meant I couldn't have yet gotten used to
their shapes).
However, keep in mind I'm not yet proficient in any language using them, so perhaps some more proficient member here
could state their opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5151 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 74 of 111
18 August 2014 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
To read the following in the original, with a grasp of detail and nuance superior to what an ideal translation could provide:

- Преступление и наказание
- Mysterier
- დათა თუთაშხია
- こゝろ
- Kritik der reinen Vernunft
- उपनिषदः
- مقدمة ابن خلدون
- Cel mai iubit dintre pământeni
- Φαίδων
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3838 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 75 of 111
18 August 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Hairy goal? Well, learning all languages in Europe wouldn't be a bad thing, and I suppose it
qualifies as hairy. Add a few Austronesian ones and maybe a few more on top of the pile and then it really
looks like fun. But not Chinese (of any kind). I have seen their books, and you need a microscope to see the lines in
the signs - even with the simplified system. My eyesight isn't moving in that direction.

You don't need to read it, I know a few British guys and an American who live in Hong Kong who can't read anything
but can speak Cantonese, they can recognize a few characters but they usually just say "I'll have what he's having"
when they walk into a restaurant.

Tones are an overrated difficulty, Mandarin has 4 tones but no consonant clusters, a tiny vowel range, only nasals
can end codas, if it weren't for those 4 puny tones, it would be twice as simple as Spanish.

Would you rather say "xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ" than treat tonality just like nasalization, palatization, creaky voice,
aspiration, vowel length, etc. It is a phonological feature out of numerous that it not exceptional.

Edited by Stolan on 18 August 2014 at 11:31pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 76 of 111
18 August 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Would you rather say "xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ" than treat tonality just like nasalization, palatization,
creaky voice, aspiration, vowel length, etc.

Why not? I love Nuxalk! :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 77 of 111
18 August 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Hairy goal? Well, learning all languages in Europe
wouldn't be a bad thing, and I suppose it
qualifies as hairy. Add a few Austronesian ones and maybe a few more on top of the pile
and then it really
looks like fun. But not Chinese (of any kind). I have seen their books, and you need a
microscope to see the lines in
the signs - even with the simplified system. My eyesight isn't moving in that
direction.

You don't need to read it, I know a few British guys and an American who live in Hong
Kong who can't read anything
but can speak Cantonese, they can recognize a few characters but they usually just say
"I'll have what he's having"
when they walk into a restaurant.

Tones are an overrated difficulty, Mandarin has 4 tones but no consonant clusters, a
tiny vowel range, only nasals
can end codas, if it weren't for those 4 puny tones, it would be twice as simple as
Spanish.

Would you rather say "xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ" than treat tonality just like
nasalization, palatization, creaky voice,
aspiration, vowel length, etc. It is a phonological feature out of numerous that it not
exceptional.

I guess you speak perfect Mandarin then? Considering it's so easy? :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6509 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 111
19 August 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I'm not particularly scared of the tones - they remind me of the diphtongs which are common in many languages. For instance I have noticed that Dutch diphtongs sound like the go down, whereas Afrikaans has diphtongs that sound like they go upwards. I would just consider the tones as characteristics of single phonemes - my guess is that it would be more difficult to learn them if you confused them with short-range sentence tones.

If the Chinese used Pinyin systematically I might consider learning Mandarin, but in spite of Ezy_Ryder's calming words I still don't like those pesky small bundles of lines. It may be true that you eventually learn to recognize the general shape, but it takes a lot of study time to get there. If I had to learn Mandarin or another CHinese language I would use Pinyin as a bridge and learn the speech and the writing in parallel. It would be hopeless first to learn the writing and then the language, as I could do with Russian and Greek.

Edited by Iversen on 19 August 2014 at 2:03am

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5151 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 79 of 111
19 August 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'm not particularly scared of the tones - they remind me of the diftongs which are common in many languages. For instance I have noticed that Dutch diphtongs sound like the go down, whereas Afrikaans has diphtongs that sound like they go upwards. I would just consider the tones as characteristics of single phonemes - my guess is that it would be more difficult to learn them if you confused them with short-range sentence tones.

If the Chinese used Pinyin systematically I might consider learning Mandarin, but in spite of Ezy_Ryder's calming words I still don't like those pesky small bundles of lines. It may be true that you eventually learn to recognize the general shape, but it takes a lot of study time to get there. If I had to learn Mandarin or another CHinese language I would use Pinyin as a bridge and learn the speech and the writing in parallel. It would be hopeless first to learn the writing and then the language, as I could do with Russian and Greek.

You have a conception of what it would be like to use the Chinese writing system, however the actual experience of doing so may be entirely different. You might be missing out on something special simply for lack of trying. My humble suggestion would be to purchase one or two beginning Chinese or Japanese textbooks, and just start working through them. At worst, you will gain a comparative and typological knowledge of these languages; the only risk you run is liking and learning them.

I myself had many notions of what it would be like to study Japanese, Chinese and Arabic, yet in practice they turned out to be much more hospitable than I could ever have imagined.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4474 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 80 of 111
19 August 2014 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

If the Chinese used Pinyin systematically

When Chinese DO use Pinyin, it's Pinyin without tone markers :)

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version