JClangue
Canada
Joined 3562 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Catalan

Message 81 of 111
19 August 2014 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Just spent another hour on Mandarin tonight. Learned another 40 words and at this pace
I'll be at B2 writing skill in not too long! Don't see what everybody is saying when they
claim that writing is so hard in Chinese! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5140 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 82 of 111
19 August 2014 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
JClangue wrote:
Just spent another hour on Mandarin tonight. Learned another 40 words and at this
pace
I'll be at B2 writing skill in not too long! Don't see what everybody is saying when they
claim that writing is so hard in Chinese! :)

Good luck. I'll look forward to see your progress with those 5 languages in a year :-)

Stolan
United States
Joined 3838 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 83 of 111
19 August 2014 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

I guess you speak perfect Mandarin then? Considering it's so easy? :)

I'm still learning, it isn't devoid of complexity, but I find it so strange that people keep on ranking it as one of the
top ten hardest languages when it is not conservative at all nor is it exceptionally difficult compared to related
languages.

Go to Taiwan and tell a Hokkien speaker or go to Hong Kong and tell a Cantonese speaker
"Mandarin one of the hardest if not the hardest language to learn in the world"
and they will stare at you blankly with confusion.

Of course, westerners thinking languages outside of the west as Vortigese doesn't help.

Edited by Stolan on 19 August 2014 at 7:55pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 84 of 111
19 August 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
At least you changed it from the original, which was even worse... but there's a lot of
sweeping generalizations in that post. Whence cometh your beef with westerners?

I also fail to see how conservatism has any influence on complexity at all, but it just
might be me.

Edited by tarvos on 19 August 2014 at 8:02pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3838 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 85 of 111
20 August 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
At least you changed it from the original, which was even worse... but there's a lot of
sweeping generalizations in that post. Whence cometh your beef with westerners?

I also fail to see how conservatism has any influence on complexity at all, but it just
might be me.

Conservatism refers to the fact that Min Chinese retains far more features that have been lost in Mandarin due to its
history such as very unpredictable tone sandhi. But you may have a point:
Min/Cantonese is starting to develop tonal morphology, something that Mandarin is not doing as much.
A language could innovate but the other doesn't and is "conservative" because of that.
I already answered that question before about westerners before.

To Iversen:

Chinese may not work out but what about getting at least one language of the east Asian typology, something from
that sprachbund, into the list of languages you know or at least become familiar with one then decide.

Edited by Stolan on 20 August 2014 at 12:47am

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5405 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 86 of 111
20 August 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Of course, westerners thinking languages outside of the west as Vortigese doesn't help

A language with telepathic elements, where everybody is speaking simultaneously, that sounds great! New challenges!

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 87 of 111
20 August 2014 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

Conservatism refers to the fact that Min Chinese retains far more features that have
been lost in Mandarin due to its history such as very unpredictable tone sandhi.

Maybe in this case. But in general it just means that relatively ancient features of a
language are retained. But that really implies zero: ancient features do not have to be
complex whatsoever, they could equally well be analytical. So that complexity is
affected by conservatism is an illogical statement, it only works if the language was
complex to begin with - and whether it is is a matter of debate already because I don't
consider Icelandic for example that complex. It's just more explicit in its statements
and it has some funny sounds you have to learn. Maybe it is complex from the linguist's
or academic point of view, but for the average language learner, that is irrelevant.

Quote:
I already answered that question before about westerners before.

No, you spouted rude remarks and made generalistic comments trying to back it up with a
very thinly veiled layer of nonsensical linguistic argumentation. Pull the other one,
it's got bells on.

You are trying to theoretize a discussion about people's impression of language
learning (a highly applied skill) with a whole lot of cultural dimensions and then
based on that flimsy theoretical framework you are trying to diss a whole group of
people. Don't you see that it makes you look a) completely ignorant and b) rude as
hell?

Making the comment that all westerners consider eastern languages "insect speech"
(before you happily changed the term to a form of gobbledigook, which only slightly
nuances the statement) is just plain insulting, especially on a forum where Asian
languages are cherished. We appreciate it if your prejudices don't come into play here
and certainly not based on some rather flimsy linguistic argument.

Edited by tarvos on 20 August 2014 at 10:43am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4513 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 88 of 111
20 August 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Double post edited out.

Edited by tarvos on 20 August 2014 at 10:42am

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version