Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 41 of 312
18 April 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Kon-Tiki is a bit like a documentary with some thrilling scenes (like shark attacks). The dialogues are not really important, only the pictures are. So it's probably a good film for learners because you don't need to understand everything to understand the story. It's entertaining for about half the time, then it gets a bit repetitive. The problem is that the end is known because it is an adaption of a well-known book, so the main thrill is gone.
I usually like Norwegian horror movies for learning because the pictures are self-explaining. The Fritt Vild triology, Rovdyr and Død Snø would be examples.
With all those movies, I would recommend using headphones to get rid of background noises. It makes it a lot easier to understand the dialogues, which are actually pretty easy vocabulary wise.
Fatso is pretty funny and easy to understand (even without headphones), but one of the main actors is Swedish.
One other easy to follow film would be "Få Meg På, For Faen", which plays mainly in rural Western Norway, so you can expect some dialect, but they talk with skarre-r, which I find a lot easier to understand than rulle-r because skarre-r doesn't induce all these assimilations.

Edited by daegga on 18 April 2013 at 10:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 42 of 312
01 May 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Huh, it's been some time. Nothing fancy to report, really.
I finished Kongernes kamp and moved on to Storm af sværd (A Song of Ice and Fire 3). This was the best among those books in English, so I'm quite excited about finally listening to it in Danish.
My re-watch of Borgen is advancing slowly, I don't have a lot of time for watching TV right now. I'm now somewhere at the beginning of Season 2.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 43 of 312
31 May 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I've finally finished my rewatch of Borgen season 2. I've been ill these last few weeks, so my motivation has been quite low. Still not fully recovered, but it's time to get going again. I'm looking forward to watching season 3 :)

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 44 of 312
24 June 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Terrible how fast time goes by these days. 24 days since my last entry, and only today I started to watch season 3 of Borgen. I'm quite glad about my progress though, I could understand most of it without subtitles and without headphones. And it's a lot more exciting to watch new episodes than old ones.
As far as the audiobook goes, I've almost finished it, I have at most 2 hours or so left (the whole audiobook has over 42 hours). More about that when I'm done.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4348 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 45 of 312
25 June 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
I'm quite glad about my progress though, I could understand most of it without subtitles and without headphones.

Not bad! My listening skills have also improved a lot over the past two months, and I can now watch TV and listen to the radio with about 80% comprehension. I seem to recall that I claimed to be at 80% a long time ago already, but in retrospect my earlier estimates may have been a tad optimistic. :-) I now feel like I'm in a kind of transitional phase where my Danish is gradually becoming less and less dependent on my Swedish (only in terms of passive skills, unfortunately).

Do you remember going through a similar stage in your studies? I often get the feeling that written Danish and Norwegian only differ in spelling, but the spoken varieties appear to be slightly less identical. Anyway, ha det så bra och lycka till med dina danskstudier!

Edited by sans-serif on 26 June 2013 at 3:21pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 46 of 312
29 July 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Oh my, I didn't update my log for over a month. I had a lot of distress learning for my
finals, but now they are over.
I've long finished Borgen and ASoIaF. Borgen was great, I'll miss it. I'll probably buy
the remaining 2 books of ASoIaF when they get translated to Danish, at least book 5 was
amazing in English.
I'm halfway through the first audiobook of the Jordens børn series (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel. There are 6 books and over 170h of audio.
I've watched Blinkende lygter without subtitles but with headphones and could
understand it just fine. I still have a lot of troubles with "Pusher", even with
headphones.

@sans-serif
I can't really tell. Passively, Danish seems just like another Norwegian dialect to me.
A bit harder to understand than real Norwegian dialects, but still close enough. I
don't internally translate into Norwegian if that's what you mean and I stopped doing
that very fast.
Actively, they are kind of separated in my mind anyway, I think I distinguish languages
by accent. If I need to come up with a word I haven't used in Danish before but which I
usually use without problems in Norwegian, it takes a long time to spit it out. So I
think it's best to avoid any links there and focus on languages in isolation.

Edited by daegga on 08 November 2013 at 11:09pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 47 of 312
05 August 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm actually doing stuff in Danish at work now ... who would have thought it

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 48 of 312
18 October 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
been busy with Danish and Swedish audio books

I guess I'm not the blogging kind of guy...

This discussion contains 312 messages over 39 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version