Edited by daegga on 11 February 2015 at 11:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6505 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 186 of 312
12 February 2015 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Quote:
De flest' har jo magten, så det er så nemt, det bliver præcist som de flest' har
bestemt. Men var vi kloge bare for det at vi er mange i flok, tænk så kloge vi ku'
blive, hvis vi bare var nok. Der er nok en ting, der var skønt at har vidst, om de
flest' er de bedst' eller bare de flest'.

Hvordan skriver man egentlig på vendelbomål? Findes der en standard?

It only occurred to me today that the Danes pronounce 'vidste' and 'vidst' as [vesdə]
and [vesd], ie. with [e], not [ i ] as the main vowel. I don't remember I ever heard it that way, but that's what Den danske ordbog says. I thought it was dialect when Niels Hausgaard used that pronunciation.
Learning something new every day ...

While there still was an institute for dialect studies at Århus university, prof. Skautrup and his colleges collected words for a "jydsk ordbog", but they only got to the letter 'I". I haven't checked it before now - it has a homepage at www.jyskordbog.dk/hjemmesider/index.html. It is nevertheless an interesting site, but it wouldn't help Daegga much because you need a dictionary FROM something TO the relevant dialect to boost your active use of the dialect - I have the same problem with New Norwegian, Ancient French and a few others. There are some other dialect dictionaries available, but they are mostly smaller, out of print and I have yet to see one that goes from Standard Danish to some kind of dialect.

In my log I have a couple of times written in Southern Jutish (just for fun - I don't study or speak it), but to prepare for such a venture I first have to read something in the dialect (there is a clubmagazine from Æ Synnejysk Forening called 'Æ Blaj') and then I imagine my mother's neighbour while I write. I haven't found a similar magazine in any of the Western or Northern Jutish dialects, and you can't read rural writings from around 1900 all the time without getting a slightly moldy feeling.

By the way: the sentence "Der er nok en ting, der var skønt at har vidst, om de flest' er de bedst' eller bare de flest'" is special on several accounts - in standard Danish it would be "der er nok en ting (som) det ville være skønt at vide:" (with "nok" = 'one more'). I have written about intrusive "at"s a few days ago in my log, but there it was the conjunction "at" which could turn up in relative clauses and in some cases even usurp the role as relative conjunction. In the sentence above it is the "at" before infinitives which somehow has transmogryphed into a conjunction with a finite verbform in the clause - but the 'feel' is still that of an infinitival phrase.

I am actually tempted to use this sentence as an example in my talk about subordinate clauses in Berlin...    

Edited by Iversen on 12 February 2015 at 1:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 187 of 312
12 February 2015 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Now that you say it, I think the sentence was actually "Der er nok en ting, der var skønt
at ha' vidst", ie. with the infinitive ([hæ], not [hɑ]). But it's hard to tell for me
when it's dialect, the vowels are often different. But it would certainly make sense to
use the infinitive.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 188 of 312
15 February 2015 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Hvad fanden foregår der i København?! Sindsygt altså ...

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 189 of 312
06 March 2015 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
cross-post from the other universe:
Currently watching "Mord uden grænser" aka "The team". Unfortunately it contains less
Danish than I'd have liked. I logged 30min for the first episode and I might add another
30min for the rest of the 8 episodes altogether. There is a dramatic drop of Danish after
the first episode in favor of English and German. Disappointing.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 190 of 312
07 March 2015 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Nå er Anno 1764 over, mer enn 22 timer varierende norsk paret med kunnskap og glede. Vi
sees igjen neste sesong, kjære nett-tv.

Dette kan eg.

Edited by daegga on 07 March 2015 at 1:01am

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 191 of 312
07 March 2015 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Have to put "Krakel Spektakel" and "Svenskjævler" on my to-watch list.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 192 of 312
07 March 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I watched Kesäkaverit for about 1 hour without understanding much (and with no
subtitles available), just couldn't stop watching :D

This discussion contains 312 messages over 39 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version