Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 29
28 August 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
In Norwegian, the expression for " a dirty old man" (an older guy who is very interested in young girls) is called "an old pig". I was reminded of the expression the other day, when I got caught in the elevator with my boss, and we were talking about how happy I was with the guys who work for me, and I said; "And I am not unhappy with my boss either". I added that it was not often that I gave him a compliment, since he was my boss, but that I assumed that he liked to have the occasional compliment too.

"Sure", he said. "Even old pigs need love!"

Now my face was probably worth a picture in that moment, because I could not make the connection between the friendly compliment and that expression, but since he loves to joke, I then just laughed. It got me wondering what that expression is like in other languages though. Are they all dirty old men, or are there the occasional beast out there?

And what about women? On a reality show last year, a 26 year old girl was accused of being "a pedophile whore" for making out with a 22 year old guy, so as always, the rules are stricter for woman, but is there a word for it (apart from the charming expression I just quoted)?
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4743 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 29
28 August 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
In Argentine slang there is the very interesting word "guardabosques". It litearlly means "forest ranger" (like a ranger from a temperate forest in the southern half of the country, those from tropical forests in the far north are called "guardaparque", don't ask me why but it may be more regionalism than semantics). But in the lunfardo it became to mean "a man who lurks behind the scenes waiting to steal another man's wife or girlfriend, usually a much younger girl than him"...

Yes, all that information is encoded when you tell an older guy "Que guardabosques que sos!" ("sos" due to voseo). But over time it broadened its meaning to signify any situation when you as a guy waits for the first chance to take a girl away from someone.

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 29
28 August 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In Norwegian, the expression for " a dirty old man" (an older
guy who is very interested in young girls) is called "an old pig". I was reminded of
the expression the other day, when I got caught in the elevator with my boss, and we
were talking about how happy I was with the guys who work for me, and I said; "And I am
not unhappy with my boss either". I added that it was not often that I gave him a
compliment, since he was my boss, but that I assumed that he liked to have the
occasional compliment too.

Now my face was probably worth a picture in that moment, because I could not make the
connection between the friendly compliment and that expression, but since he loves to
joke, I then just laughed. It got me wondering what that expression is like in other
languages though. Are they all dirty old men, or are there the occasional beast out
there?

And what about women? On a reality show last year, a 26 year old girl was accused of
being "a pedophile whore" for making out with a 22 year old guy, so as always, the
rules are stricter for woman, but is there a word for it (apart from the charming
expression I just quoted)?

Седина в бороду, а бес в ребро. The reaction to that girl is really strange. Why do you
think that the rules are always stricter for women?

Edited by Марк on 28 August 2012 at 9:33pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 4 of 29
28 August 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In Norwegian, the expression for " a dirty old man" (an older
guy who is very interested in young girls) is called "an old pig". I was reminded of
the expression the other day, when I got caught in the elevator with my boss, and we
were talking about how happy I was with the guys who work for me, and I said; "And I am
not unhappy with my boss either". I added that it was not often that I gave him a
compliment, since he was my boss, but that I assumed that he liked to have the
occasional compliment too.

Now my face was probably worth a picture in that moment, because I could not make the
connection between the friendly compliment and that expression, but since he loves to
joke, I then just laughed. It got me wondering what that expression is like in other
languages though. Are they all dirty old men, or are there the occasional beast out
there?

And what about women? On a reality show last year, a 26 year old girl was accused of
being "a pedophile whore" for making out with a 22 year old guy, so as always, the
rules are stricter for woman, but is there a word for it (apart from the charming
expression I just quoted)?

Седина в бороду - бес в ребро. The reaction to that girl is really strange. Why do you
think that the rules are always stricter to women?

Are you serious?
5 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 29
28 August 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
In some situations women are perceived as a safer alternative to men: link.

Overall though I can't immediately think of a male version of "slut".

Edited by frenkeld on 28 August 2012 at 8:09pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 29
28 August 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Aaah, where is @leosmith when you need him! I'm sure he'd have something to say about this.

Edited by iguanamon on 28 August 2012 at 8:09pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 7 of 29
28 August 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Aaah, where is @leosmith when you need him! I'm sure he'd have something to say about this.

Not as a representative of the old pigs, I trust :-)

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4495 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 8 of 29
28 August 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
There are several words you can use for a male version of "Schlampe" or "Flittchen", for example "Alter Sack", "Geiler Bock", "Stelzbock" etc.

I'd guess there are even more expressions of this kind with negative connotations describing males than females in German. As a German, I was a little surprised when i saw the "are you serious?" comment, but we shouldn't forget that even inside Europe, even inside one country, things like these may differ. The more liberal Northern Germany sure has a whole different mentality from the more conservative Southern Germany.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version