Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 17 of 29
29 August 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:

I also once saw him
apologise to a pretty girl he worked with when he was completely in the right and she
was the one totally out of order, I asked him why he had done this and he said, "I have
to because one day she might sleep with me." Total slag (but I liked him anyway).

The rules are always stricter for women…
There are tons of situations in the life when men are criticized and women not. Or women
are forgiven and men are not. This example also shows that the fact that there are more
men among chefs does not necessarily make harm to women.

1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4282 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 29
02 September 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
Quote:
And what about women? On a reality show last year, a 26 year
old girl
was accused of being "a pedophile whore" for making out with a 22 year old guy, so as
always, the rules
are stricter for woman, but is there a word for it

In English the word "cougar" is used to describe a woman who goes after younger men.

This is a new word. I'm not sure there were any words for this until recently. Not
that I would
know!

I've come across sources that refine the slang further, defining a woman on the hunt
for younger men as "Pumas" if they're in their 30's and "Cougars" if they're in their
40's.

By the way, the term "dirty old man" referring to an older man on the lookout for much
younger women is a very commonly used idiom in the Philippines, but speakers will
almost always use the acronym "D.O.M.". The usage of the word conjures an image of a
balding man in his fifties or above, possibly sporting a shirt unbuttoned enough to
bare some of his chest, flashing around jewelry, driving a fancy car and ostentatiously
showing off his personal wealth, in his attempt to attract much younger women.

For example: Dios ko, tignan mo naman ang matanda na yan, mukhang D.O.M.. Puro alahas
at naka-Rolex pa ata. Nakatayo lang sa tabi ng Ferrari niya na nakaparada sa harap ng
club, payosi-yosi habang nakatingin sa chicks. (Colloquial Tagalog)

Translation: Oh dear, take a look at that old guy, he looks like a dirty old man. He
has quite a lot of jewelry on and is most probably wearing a Rolex. He's just standing
there beside his Ferrari parked in front of the club, smoking cigarettes while staring
at chicks.

Edited by Duke100782 on 06 September 2012 at 9:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4460 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 19 of 29
03 September 2012 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Sticking with Asia:

In Mandarin they say that sort of older man likes to eat tofu (吃豆腐). I guess this is because a young woman’s body is ideally soft, pale and jiggly, like beancurd.

In Thai there is something similar yet not quite identical. Thai has two terms for coconut: the young green kind is called “maphrao orn”, the old brown kind (the kind usually available in the West) is “maphrao thuenthuek”. So a woman who is no longer young may get called an “old coconut” – again sort of an organic metaphor having to do with her coloration, softness etc.

In my experience, it’s okay to joke about tofu with young Chinese – you might even get a compliment for your knowledge of idioms - but mentioning you know about sao thuenthuek to a middle-aged Thai woman is generally a mistake.

I should add that an old man who likes young women in Thai is called "tao hua nguu" or snakehead - a very negative term.

Edited by viedums on 03 September 2012 at 6:08pm

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4465 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 29
04 September 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
the very image of a "dirty old man" bears this out...he is usually imagined as a low status
older individual "perving on" younger women rather than a high status older man successfully dating them

I think it's the opposite. The rich old man is seen as using his wealth to help him succeed, which is a dirtier image
than a poor old man who relies on his charm.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 21 of 29
04 September 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Random review wrote:
the very image of a "dirty old man" bears this out...he is usually imagined as a low status
older individual "perving on" younger women rather than a high status older man successfully dating them

I think it's the opposite. The rich old man is seen as using his wealth to help him succeed, which is a dirtier image
than a poor old man who relies on his charm.
I think the point of the stereotype was that the rich man succeeds, whether through charm or money (and even if he does fail, he at least does so "with style"), whereas the poor old man fails, but tries anyway, which leads to him being labelled a perv. I believe the "dirty" bit of "dirty old man" here refers specifically to perceived sexual deviancy rather than underhandedness. This doesn't always have to do with money or age either - in a high school or college, if a self-confident jock and a socially awkward nerd both repeatedly try to ask one girl out, which one of them is more likely to be labelled a "creep"?

Edited by vonPeterhof on 04 September 2012 at 10:37am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 22 of 29
04 September 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

I think it's the opposite. The rich old man is seen as using his wealth to help him
succeed, which is a dirtier image than a poor old man who relies on his charm.

And on the the other side of it, we have the "gold-diggers" - those that seek out rich
old men (or women), hoping to cash in on their death.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 09 September 2012 at 3:29pm

ericblair
United States
Joined 4505 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 23 of 29
05 September 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Wow, Solfrid - this sounds like the opening to a personal ad to me! I
almost blushed
reading it, then thought ... she can't possible mean what I think she means.

In the US "pig" is gay slang for a man who likes lots of lots of sex, with lots of men,
and has no shame about it. A dirty pig likes nasty sex. It's not quite an insult, and
among some crowds it's a term of endearment.

Wow, what part of the US are you from? I am a native, and have never heard the term "pig"
used that way. I mean, I've heard it used to refer to a guy who is all about sex, not
never at all with a gay connotation. More about him being like a sex-crazed pervert for
women.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 24 of 29
05 September 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

I think it's the opposite. The rich old man is seen as using his wealth to help him
succeed, which is a dirtier image than a poor old man who relies on his charm.

Um, I didn't write that...

Edited by vonPeterhof on 05 September 2012 at 10:19am

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version