leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 33 of 37
01 May 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Just don't make the mistake of cutting audio out of your language plan. It may "feel" like you're learning things well,
but when it comes to conversation and listening, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That may be what
shut down your German.
1 person has voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5081 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 34 of 37
02 May 2011 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Just don't make the mistake of cutting audio out of your language plan. It may "feel" like you're learning things well,
but when it comes to conversation and listening, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That may be what
shut down your German.

I agree, this is a very important thing to do. I can tell you from experience that not listening or speaking in the language enough is harmful to your overall knowledge. I may be able to read news articles and even write ok, but when listening to Arabic I often find myself not being able to understand much of what's said.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 35 of 37
02 May 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
I worded that badly, I'm not cutting audio completely out of my language plan, since 2 out of 3 of the "books" I have come with audio (anyway afterwards I finish these books I will probably listen to some novels in the target language to help compensate this)

By the way German is a 100% completely different situation

leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 36 of 37
03 May 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
eXtreme wrote:
2 out of 3 of the "books" I have come with audio

That may not be enough, judging from my experience with text book audio. I recommend at least 10 min a day,
and you should avoid repeating the same material too often. Podcasts are ideal for this.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 37 of 37
03 May 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
eXtreme wrote:
2 out of 3 of the "books" I have come with audio

That may not be enough, judging from my experience with text book audio. I recommend at least 10 min a day,
and you should avoid repeating the same material too often. Podcasts are ideal for this.

Ok, thanks.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version