37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 37
12 April 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I am currently looking for a suitable language to learn. I am 14, and my goal is to learn at least one foreign language by the time I'm done high-school, to an advanced level. I'm currently intermediate in German, but I don't really have any wish to continue with it. So I will list some things I'm looking for an maybe you can be kind enough to post some suggestions for me :)

Some things I am looking for are:

• Easy to Pronounce - I think the biggest obstacle I will face when learning a language would be pronunciation, so, obviously, I would prefer a language which is rather easy to pronounce.

• Latin alphabet - I don't want to start with something overly complicated and unfamiliar, so a language that uses the Latin alphabet (I'm of course okay with some special letters), would be vastly preferred.

• Similar/same word order as English - Again, I want to keep it nice and simple for my first, so a word order that's recognisable would be great.

• An abundance of resources - I don't particularly want to scour the web for hours at a time to find some learning resources, so this is also rather high on my "list"

I don't really find learning grammar/vocabulary too daunting, if that helps. I understand that I may be being very "picky", but I just want to know which languages would best fit my criteria, with some knowledge from some experts :-). Thank you for reading (if I need to edit anything, tell me).
1 person has voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5080 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 2 of 37
12 April 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Dutch or Swedish

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 37
12 April 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Spanish. Abundance of resources, abundance of speakers, startling similarity in word order, a zillion cognates. For
an English-speaker, this has to be the easiest language to get going on.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5575 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 37
12 April 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
My instant thought when I read this was French, but neither its pronunciation nor its spelling are simple. I agree with tbone - there are loads of resources for Spanish and lots to read and listen to once you get good at it, it uses the Latin alphabet and the pronunciation is pretty simple. I would give you one piece of advice though - you shouldn't pick a language because its ease of learning. You should pick it because you're interested in its culture, its literature, telenovelas, or something like that. I have been known to pick languages before just because I like the sound of them, the fact that they're complicated or just because they're different - and my interest in them fizzled out or hit a plateau at some point - making it much more difficult to continue.

Good luck, whichever you choose.

Jack
2 persons have voted this message useful

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 5 of 37
13 April 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I realize that, but I thought if I knew some choices on which would match the things I'm looking for, I could look a little more in-depth in them and see if it's a language that I would be interested in learning. Thank you for all the replies so far :).

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5951 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 37
13 April 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Spanish sounds like it would be a good choice for you because it meets all of your criteria, as does Italian. Swedish might be another good option if you'd like something different, but there isn't exactly an "abundance" of resources for it. If you already know some German, Dutch should also be extremely easy for you as they are very closely related. Anything that might pose a problem for you in Dutch, such as the word order, you will have already encountered in German. :)

I personally never thought that the pronunciation or spelling of French or Portuguese were difficult but they might be for some people. You could look into them and see what you think and if they don't seem too hard you have two more options.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 7 of 37
13 April 2011 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your insight :). I actually was considering Italian since I heard it's easy to pronounce, and I like the culture (and the food of course :P). I guess it would also help in the learning of other romance languages later on.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5160 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 8 of 37
13 April 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I think Spanish or Italian would be the best languages of your criteria, but since you already know German it shouldn't be too hard to learn Dutch, Danish, Swedish or Norwegian. So you actually have a lot to choose from :) Good luck!

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version