Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4773 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 17 of 37
25 April 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Go on with Italian, even if a bit farther from English (and German) than Dutch, it is probably easier to learn (until you get into those irregular verbs and tenses). Besides it's time to change language family, isn't it?
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 20 of 37
25 April 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
I would go for Italian.

Aside from the wealth of learning material, you're likely to find Italian communities where you live (I don't know where in Australia you are).

I know that there are several Italian Cultural Centres and Institutes in the bigger Australian cities. If they are anything like their American counterparts, they regularly hold cultural events at low cost or even free and are a great resource for film, music, food, and getting to know Italians and Italophiles. They even offer conversation classes and, when you are far enough along in the language, you'll be able to take the CEFR exam through them if that's a goal of yours.

R.
==

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 37
25 April 2011 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all your replies (and so fast too)!

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 23 of 37
26 April 2011 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
I think I'm going to attempt Dutch, since it "seems" right. Apart from Michel Thomas, Assimil, Pimsleur and Rosetta stone, what is some other recommended Dutch learning resources? Thank you.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5951 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 24 of 37
26 April 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
eXtreme wrote:
I think I'm going to attempt Dutch, since it "seems" right. Apart from Michel Thomas, Assimil, Pimsleur and Rosetta stone, what is some other recommended Dutch learning resources? Thank you.

You could try Teach Yourself and Colloquial. I got bored of TY after about 14 lessons (of 16 total, I think) and I've never tried Colloquial. But you never know, they could work for you. You could also try the Routledge Intensive Dutch Course, but again, I abandoned after just three lessons because it was too boring.

By the way, of the ones which you've listed there I would *highly* recommend Assimil and Michel Thomas.

Veel succes!

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version