United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4790 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 37
13 April 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
May I just ask why you don't wish to carry on with German? If you are already at
intermediate level it wouldn't take much effort to carry on to advanced level, especially
as you've got a good long timeframe. You don't want to get to intermediate level in
another language and then give that up!!! But the suggestions such as Spanish or Italian
seem the most suited, as maybe Dutch would suffer from being too like German which you
don't wish to carry on...

2 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5575 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 11 of 37
13 April 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
May I just ask why you don't wish to carry on with German?

I was wondering this myself - if we know why you don't want to carry on with German, then we can advise you better and perhaps avoid going down a route that you're just not interested in. For example, if the word order of German gives you trouble (personally, I think it's fun), then it would not be a good idea to go for Dutch, as the word order is very similar if not exactly the same.

There is Spanish, as many have said before me, as well as Italian. Learning Spanish or Italian will help you learn the other in the pair as well as French - but as I said before, French morphology, as well as spelling and pronunciation, are a fair bit more difficult than the aforementioned two. Also, if you really like Spanish, then I assume that looking at Catalan would be good in the future as well. I have no personal experience with Catalan, so I can't say for sure. German will open up a whole new world for you in the form of the rest of the Germanic languages, as someone else before me has said - Danish (albeit strange pronunciation, I've heard), Swedish, Norwegian among others. Also there's Slovene - which is a Slavic language which uses the Latin alphabet with a couple of extra letters - š, č, ž. It is easy to pronounce after learning its rules but it does have six cases... which, if you hate the German ones, would not be a good idea.

Good luck,

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5081 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 13 of 37
14 April 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
eXtreme wrote:

• Latin alphabet - I don't want to start with something overly complicated and unfamiliar, so a language that uses the Latin alphabet (I'm of course okay with some special letters), would be vastly preferred.

I really don't understand why people think that it's so hard to learn a different alphabet. It only took me a little over a week to get it down perfectly for Arabic. I think the only type of writing systems that you should really be wary of is Chinese or Japanese.
      Just remember that you can never fail in your studies as long as you have a great interest in the language being learned. I've stayed at my studies in a extremly foreign language that has different grammar and pronounciations for over a year. Just try to think about the feeling you'll get once you can finally read a newspaper or watch a movie/television. Choosing a language that you can stick with is key, after that everything comes natural.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 14 of 37
14 April 2011 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
^ This kind of answers the question of "why don't you want to continue in German?", because I simply have not been as interested on the language as a whole over the last few months. I've listened to German music, learned it both in school and out for ~8 years, and I want something fresh. There is nothing I don't particularly like about it, but even after having visited Germany itself, I still just simply aren't "feeling" the language, if you get what I mean.

I don't also have a problem with a language being similar to German (actually been rather interested in Dutch for quite some time now), since I don't "hate" it, it's just I think I need to learn something fresh for awhile. I know it is quite bad to leave languages at a intermediate-basic level, but I will still be actively exposed to the language through school, and music, so I won't forget what I have learned so far (hopefully anyway).

Also about the alphabet, I kind of figured if the language has a completely different alphabet, it would probably also have more alien grammar rules also, so yes, while I will probably try to learn a language with a different alphabet in the FUTURE, I think it would serve me well keeping close to English to firstly build my confidence.

Hope you understand what I just wrote.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 15 of 37
25 April 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Sorry for the bumping of an old post..but I believe I have narrowed down my choices to Italian or Dutch. Both of the cultures of these languages interest me (especially Italian food!). I have also noticed a rather large dutch population on the internet, which would give me plenty of opportunities to converse with natives if I chose that path.

Considering what I just said, can anybody give a suggestion which path to take? Keep in mind the cost of materials for the languages isn't an issue, so don't take cost into consideration when replying.

Once again, thank you for reading. I will also edit the OP with this new info.

eXtreme
Australia
Joined 4784 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes

Message 16 of 37
25 April 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Doesn't seem to let me edit my older posts, is this intended?

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version