Poland
Joined 5522 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 49 of 74
23 March 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
onurdolar wrote:

We have the term " Arap Saçı " ( arab hair ) and "işler arap saçına döndü " meaning " it became an arab hair used in situations became chaotic all of a sudden.

That reminds me, in Polish a mullet is also called Czech footballer. People would literally say 'He had a Czech footballer.'

onurdolar wrote:

In Turkish you can call someone "Monşer" ( mon cher ) to point out he is pretentious and ignorant

We sometimes say someone is 'Ą ę' meaning pretentious. It imitates the French sounds 'en' 'in'.

If someone has trouble understanding something, we say Don't pretend to be Greek meaning he acts as thought he doesn't understand Polish at all.

It's funny that Polish and Romanian both use Turkish as an example of a language totally incomprehensible.

Edited by pesahson on 23 March 2012 at 8:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 50 of 74
23 March 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
From Hungarian:

- Ez nekem kínai "It's Chinese to me" (cf. "It's Greek to me")
- angolkór "English disease" (rickets)
- angolosan távozni "to leave in the English way" (cf. "to take French leave")
- cigánykodni "to pull a gypsy" (to lie)
- sovány mint a sváb lábszár "as skinny as a Swabian leg" (cf. "as skinny as a beanpole". N.B. Many of the German-speaking farmers who settled in the Hungarian Kingdom were Swabians (from what is now Baden-Würtemburg) and this led to Swabians being often equated to Germans in general.)
- ahol a német jár, ott fű nem terem "Wherever the German goes, no grass grows"
- örülni neki, mint tót a pogácsának "to be as glad as a Slovak is about [getting] a pogács" (cf. "pleased as punch". N.B. a pogács is similar to a scone while tót is an older term for "Slovak" (BTW the Hungarian family name - Tóth is an alternative spelling of the word). The expression reflects the Hungarian sterotype that someone's extreme happiness is reminicsent of a Slovak being overjoyed by a simple treat)
- tótul nevetni "to laugh in Slovak" (to weep)
- csehül állni "to stand in the Czech way" (cf. "things are in a bad way")
- dohányozni mint a török "to smoke like a Turk" (cf. "to smoke like a chimney")
- nincs török a hátunkon "there's no Turk on our back" (don't stress out or rush about)
- nyikorogni, mint az oláh szekér "to creak like the Wallachian wagon (N.B. - oláh is an old term for "Romanian" - refers to unpleasantly noisy machinery)
- ordítani, mint az orosz az ólban "to bellow like the Russian in the pigsty" (i.e. to shout copiously or intensely)

From Polish:

- głupi jak Niemiec "dumb as a German"
- U niemców ani mucha się nie pożywi "Not even the fly eats well at a German's home" (stereotype of Germans being ruthless and inhospitable)
- gdzie Niemiec przejdzie, tam trawa nie rośnie "Wherever the German goes, no grass grows"
- zazdrosny jak Turek "as jealous as a Turk"
- wołoskie zaloty "Wallachian [~ Romanian] courtship" (boorish behaviour)
- włoska sztuczka "Italian ruse" (i.e. deception)
- gdzie Węgier, tam gniew, gdzie Słowak, tam śpiew "Wherever there's a Hungarian, there's anger. Wherever there's a Slovak, there's song"
- Litwin głupi jak świnia, a chytry jak wąż "The Lithuanian is as dumb as a pig but as shifty as a snake"
- uparty jak Rusin "stubborn as a Ruthenian" (Ruthenians were effectively the predecessors of today's Belorussians, Russians, Rusyns and Ukrainians and were the eastern rivals/neighbours of the Poles but the expression today often refers just to the Russians)

If anyone can read in Hungarian, this article is very worthwhile and is the source of most of the examples above.

Edited by Chung on 23 March 2012 at 9:40pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5522 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 51 of 74
23 March 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

From Polish:

- głupi jak Niemiec "dumb as a German"
- U niemców ani mucha się nie pożywi "Not even the fly eats well at a German's home" (stereotype of Germans being ruthless and inhospitable)
- gdzie Niemiec przejdzie, tam trawa nie rośnie "Wherever the German goes, no grass grows"
- zazdrosny jak Turek "as jealous as a Turk"
- wołoskie zaloty "Wallachian [~ Romanian] courtship" (boorish behaviour)
- włoska sztuczka "Italian ruse" (i.e. deception)
- gdzie Węgier, tam gniew, gdzie Słowak, tam śpiew "Wherever there's a Hungarian, there's anger. Wherever there's a Slovak, there's song"
- Litwin głupi jak świnia, a chytry jak wąż "The Lithuanian is as dumb as a pig but as shifty as a snake"
- uparty jak Rusin "stubborn as a Ruthenian" (Ruthenians were effectively the predecessors of today's Belorussians, Russians, Rusyns and Ukrainians and were the eastern rivals/neighbours of the Poles but the expression today often refers just to the Russians)

That's a lot of hostility towards our neighbours ;). But I have to admit I've never heard any of those sayings. Fortunately, many such stereotypes are a thing of the past.

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4416 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 52 of 74
06 April 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

gimnasia sueca = Swedish exercising = hard but pointless/incomprehensible physical

I think this might come from the fact that a Swede called Pehr Henrik Ling was one of the pioneers of gymnastics/calisthenics in the 19th century. In older English books people talk about Swedish exercises.

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6918 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 53 of 74
07 May 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Awesome thread, really interesting!

I have a couple more to add, not all derogatory.

An Indian summer is a late heat wave in the fall, usually after there's already
been a frost.

A Canadian tuxedo is an all-denim outfit.

A highly offensive one, not unlike "to gyp", is to Jew someone / get Jewed
meaning, I guess, to get cheated, swindled, or lowballed.

Extremely out of date nowadays due to its racist origins is mongoloid, which
I've seen used for people with Down's Syndrome and other developmental disabilities. I
gather the term came about because someone thought the facial features associated with
Down's Syndrome were similar to Mongolian features.

"Pardon my French" is a common phrase to jokingly excuse yourself when you
curse.

Chinese whispers and Chinese fire drills also come to mind, although I
have no idea what the connection to China is in either of those games. Chinese whispers
(aka Telephone) is where a line of people take turns whispering a phrase to one another
and it comes out all garbled by the end; a Chinese fire drill is where the occupants of
a car get out at a stoplight and race around the vehicle.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 54 of 74
07 May 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
dantalian wrote:
Faim de Siècle wrote:

French: filer У l'anglaise
English: to take French leave

In Russian the expression to take English leave (Уйти по-английски) with the same meaning("Leave of absence without permission or without announcing one's departure", including leaving a party without bidding farewell to the host") is quiet popular.

The same in Polish. ‘Wyjść po angielsku’.

In German, there are two versions of this: "französischer Abgang" (French leave) and "polnischer Abgang" (Polish leave). Both mean the same.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 55 of 74
07 May 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
In Polish:
- ty Rumunie! (you, Romanian!) - very offensive expressions with negative connotations - but was mostly created not because of Romanian people, but these with Roma origins
- poturczeniec - a person, who has convered to islam. Comes from the times of Ottoman Turkey
- cyganić (Cygan = Gipsy) - generally to lie
- czeski film (the Czech film) - the situation when nobody knows what and why actually happens
- Czy mam mówić do Ciebie po chińsku? (Should I speak to you in Chinese?) - when someone doesn't react for the things we're saying
- nie udawaj Greka (Don't pretend the Greek) - don't pretend, that you don't understand what I mean and/or that you don't know something
- raz na ruski rok (once a Russian year) - seldom, occasionally

And an interesting idiom in Russian - Бенгальские огни - sparklers (in Polish - zimne ognie, literally "cold fires") :)

Edited by prz_ on 07 May 2012 at 8:55pm

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4845 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 56 of 74
09 May 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
My favorite one is "voici les anglais qui arrivent"... Something a Frenchwoman might say once a month.

Edited by espejismo on 09 May 2012 at 11:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version