Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
74 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
Patchy
Joined 4923 days ago

25 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 41 of 74
07 July 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=mr_chinnery] An 'Irish waterfall' is when you inhale into your nostrils a mouthful of smoke. [/
QUOTE]

In Ireland this is known as "French inhaling".
1 person has voted this message useful

Dreadslinger
United States
Joined 4688 days ago

18 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 74
07 July 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Patchy wrote:
[QUOTE=mr_chinnery] An 'Irish waterfall' is when you inhale into your nostrils a mouthful of smoke. [/
QUOTE]

In Ireland this is known as "French inhaling".

lol I knew I was forgetting one. "French inhaling" is what I've always heard it called here, too.

Neri
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4658 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 43 of 74
09 September 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Arti wrote:

"Swedish table" - that's usually used for hotels and banquets - it's when you come to the table with food and take how much you want in your plate.

Huh. In Japanese an all-you-can-eat buffet is バイキング料理 (Viking food).

In English someone who lost a bet and doesn't pay up is said to 'Welsh'. Similarly if you cheat someone, perhaps by giving them less than they paid for, you're said to gyp them (from gypsy, which is a term for the Romani people... with connotations like that, I can see why they don't tend to like it).

In French sarrasin is both an old term for Muslims and a still-common term for buckwheat (in English, the term is Saracen).

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5213 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 44 of 74
12 September 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Neri wrote:

Huh. In Japanese an all-you-can-eat buffet is バイキング料理 (Viking food).

That'll be because the Swedes originally popularised the idea of the buffet (as far as I'm aware anyway). We sometimes will call a buffet a smorgasbord (smörgåsbord in the original Swedish) and evidently the Japanese thought it more fun to call it "viking food".

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 45 of 74
23 March 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
dantalian wrote:
Faim de Siècle wrote:

French: filer У l'anglaise
English: to take French leave

In Russian the expression to take English leave (Уйти по-английски) with the same meaning("Leave of absence without permission or without announcing one's departure", including leaving a party without bidding farewell to the host") is quiet popular.

The same in Polish. ‘Wyjść po angielsku’.

anamsc wrote:
There's also "pardon my French" and "it's all Greek to me". I don't think those are particularly negative, though. Most of the English ones in this thread I hadn't heard of!

In Poland one could say ‘Pardon my Latin’.
If someone doesn’t understand anything from what was said, he can say ‘it was like sitting in a Turkish lecture’.

Chung wrote:
The following phrases or expressions exist in Polish:

- "...jak w czeskim filmie" "...like in a Czech film" (used to refer to something absurd, incoherent or incomprehensible)

I’ve read that the origine of this phrase comes from a Czech movie titled ‘Nobody knows anything’ (Nikdo nic neví from 1947). People now use those two phrases (Czech movie/Nobody knows anything) to express the same meaning.
Some other phrases that come to my mind:
‘to be picky like a French poodle’
‘a Chinese volunteer’ someone who didn’t volunteer at all
‘like in Mexico/Saigon’ or literally ‘what Mexico!/what Saigon!’ meaning a chaotic situation

Edited by pesahson on 23 March 2012 at 8:28pm

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5341 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 46 of 74
23 March 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
The Romanian equivalent of the "Dutch" way of paying is "a plăti nemţeşte" (to pay the German way).

When someone doesn't understand something, you can ask them: "eşti turc?" (are you Turkish?)

We probably have more that I can't think of right now... There are bound to be a lot in reference to Gypsies.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 47 of 74
23 March 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
This is a fantastic thread; i would like to add some examples from Turkish

Most famous one is "Fransız kalmak" ( being french ) meaning to be completely clueless about something,

We have the term " Arap Saçı " ( arab hair ) and "işler arap saçına döndü " meaning " it became an arab hair used in situations became chaotic all of a sudden.

In Turkish you can call someone "Monşer" ( mon cher ) to point out he is pretentious and ignorant

You can say "Onda Arnavut inadı var" ( he is stubborn as an Albanian ) when someone is too stubborn. "Arnavut damarı tutmak" ( having an Albanian vein ) is used in the same meaning.

"Çin malı gibi" ( like Chinese wares ) is used to point out something is very low quality

"Alman Usulü" ( German way ) also exist in Turkey.

The term "İngiliz Oyunu" ( English game ) refers to making sneaky plans

edit: Ah also you can say "did it chinese way" to imply you had unconventional sex.

There are also many references about Jewish and Roma people, Greeks and Armenians those that are way more insulting. ( those can be used as an insult themselves and one would be probably offended to be called armenian in turkey )

Edited by onurdolar on 23 March 2012 at 5:34pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5341 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 48 of 74
23 March 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
onurdolar wrote:

"Çin malı gibi" ( like Chinese wares ) is used to point out something is very low quality

We have this in Romanian as well, "chinezării", meaning Chinese wares or something of low quality.

Edited by manish on 23 March 2012 at 6:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version