Negative traits attributed to others

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
74 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 9 10 Next >>
Polyglot_gr
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 4889 days ago

29 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, SpanishC2, DutchC1, Swedish, PortugueseC1, Romanian, Polish, Catalan, Russian, Hungarian

Message 25 of 74
14 December 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Some examples from Greek:

He became a Turk (Έγινε Τούρκος) = He got very angry
I am not your Philippino girl (Δεν είμαι η Φιλιππινέζα σου) = I am not you servant
This is Chinese (Αυτά είναι Κινέζικα) = This is incomprehensible
They live like Gypsies (Ζούνε σαν τους Γύφτους) = They live in a very poor, dirty and untidy house
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 26 of 74
14 December 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
There's a word used pretty universally in Mexico to mean, among other negative things, someone stupid or not educated - naco.

If you asked anyone what the etymology of the word was you'd get different answers, but one of those would be that the word can be traced back to an indigenous language in Mexico called Nacozari.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 27 of 74
24 December 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
The following phrases or expressions exist in Polish:

- "...jak w czeskim filmie" "...like in a Czech film" (used to refer to something absurd, incoherent or incomprehensible)

- "czeski błąd" "Czech mistake" (a colloquial term corresponding broadly to "typo" or "silly mistake")

The cultural subtext for these two expressions is that Poles and Czechs have often been rivals and the language reflects traces of mild contempt stemming from this rivalry. It's a bit like the English and French with less bloodshed. There wasn't anything as nasty or long-standing as the 100 Years' War or Napoleonic Wars between only Poles and Bohemians. I'm not aware of any expressions in Czech (or Slovak for that matter) that are jabs at Poles, although I confess that I know Polish (and Slovak) better than I know Czech.

- "raz na ruski rok" "once in a Russian year" (broadly similar to the expression "once in a blue moon")

A Pole explained the subtext for this phrase as follows: For Poles many things Russian are ill-defined or definable per the whims of some higher authority. This alludes to the Polish experience of previous Russian occupiers ruling Polish territory by fiat with laws or regulations being bent quickly to suit whatever the czar/Red Army/apparatchik/General Secretary wanted.

Corcyra
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4795 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 74
17 March 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
In Spanish, the word for wife is "esposa." The word for handcuffs is "esposas." So
technically handcuffs = wives hahaha
1 person has voted this message useful

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5551 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 29 of 74
17 March 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
An 'Irish waterfall' is when you inhale into your nostrils a mouthful of smoke. Here is a
man doing one with some kind of exotic cigar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUN1V9aJ7Y&feature=fvst

The Irish have reputation for being stupid in England, so anything stupid or contrary can
be called 'Irish'. Except Irish coffees, they are gooooood :)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 30 of 74
17 March 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised no one has brought up "Parler le français comme une vache espagnole"
It means to speak French badly or barely and is a sanitized version of the original where the word vache is a subsitute for Basque. Vache espagnole

Edited by iguanamon on 17 March 2011 at 6:12pm

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4875 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 31 of 74
18 March 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
(Portuguese) Roleta Russa - Russian Roulette (The game one plays with a revolver)
(Portuguese) Montanha Russa - Roller coaster

Poor russians.

Edit: This is Chinese (Αυτά είναι Κινέζικα) = This is incomprehensible
We also have this one. "Tá em Chinês!"

Edited by Matheus on 18 March 2011 at 8:18pm

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6806 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 32 of 74
25 March 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
The reason why "Russian mountains" exists in so many languages is quite obvious I guess - the first rollercoasters were built in Russia out of ice - that was a great entertainment during winters.

However in Russian "American mountains" replaced the original title just because the first contemporary rollercoasters appeared in the US.

More expressions in Russian:

"Swedish family" - when three persons live together (two of the same sex and the other one of the eopposiite, like two females live with one male and all the three have romantic relations)

"Swedish table" - that's usually used for hotels and banquets - it's when you come to the table with food and take how much you want in your plate.

"Swedish wall" - hard to explain - so here's a picture:

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version