spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6358 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 25 of 47
02 July 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Again, we're all humans and all want to relax from time to time. And Anglo-American calture IS popular in many countries around the globe.

We're not robots that only learn a language to read scientific in other languages. If that was the case we could always read translations. Also, things that people enjoy aren't useless. If you really see it that way I feel sorry for you, as you must be a very unhappy person (always studying *shrudder*)

Question: are you learning Japanese because scientists published great works in the language, or because you like Japanese culture and want to read its great works (can also be manga, anime, etc.) in the original language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5942 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 27 of 47
02 July 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Learning a language without any supporting audio to a high degree of comprehension is not at all uncommon as thousands of people have managed through traditional grammar-translation techniques, I'm asking whther you have did this method solely and ended up with some degree of comprehension in Russian.

Can you read a Russian wikipedia article for instance? Yes/n

On the topic of people being interested in the popular culture of a language, these people are just as interested as the Chinese physics student who wants to study Richard Feynman in English for example. Both of them are not any more interested than the other with respect to the language , they are interested in works written in the language. The Chinese physics student is indeed a serious student - of physics, on English as far as it doesn't directly relate to physics - he is not.

In any case, most people are hardly motivated by a language's intrinsic qualities, they are interested mostly in communication, both passive and active, with native speakers through dufferebt nedua, The only people interested in languages for their own sake are philologists.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 47
02 July 2009 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
turaisiawase wrote:
You must be a god if you know what the majority of students in China want.
Or maybe he's just heard about the booming call centre industry.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6469 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 30 of 47
02 July 2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Hashimi, Do you remember the DVD movie method?

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=5257&PN=0&TPN=1

1-Watch the movie in your own language with subtitles in your target language.

2-Watch the movie in your target language with subtitles in your own language

3-Watch movie with audio and subtitles in your target language.

4-Watch movie only with audio in your target language.

5-Extract the audio and listen the movie several times with a mp3 player.

You can use every step several times.

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6053 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 31 of 47
03 July 2009 at 6:37am | IP Logged 

Rmss wrote:
Again, we're all humans and all want to relax from time to time. And Anglo-American calture IS popular in many countries around the globe.

We're not robots that only learn a language to read scientific in other languages.

Yes, but not all people want to learn English for relaxing time. They may choose French, Russian, Japanese or any other language.

Alkeides wrote:
Can you read a Russian wikipedia article for instance? Yes/n

Yes + some Russian movies and short stories.

slucido wrote:
Hashimi, Do you remember the DVD movie method?

No. I don't remember it, but it seems a good method. Step 1 is like R-L-R method.

But unfortunately, there are no many DVDs with dual audio, especially for languages other than English.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 32 of 47
03 July 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Hashimi, I personally have a hard time dealing with difficult content when the form it's presented in also is difficult. Basically I'm wasting my resources to decipher the form.
Now, people do not have endless self-restraint, especially when faced with too difficult (ot too easy) tasks for their current ability.
Using trivial content to reinforce learned language or even learn more doesn't mean that a person is not serious about language studies (English is a necessity for many people!), it means s/he is clever enough to use it as recreation.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version