Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
47 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5776 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 47
01 July 2009 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I can see that films with subtitles are an easy source of material, but other than that,
where's the advantage in listening to your own language? Couldn't you just read parallel
texts?

Edited by JS-1 on 02 July 2009 at 12:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6052 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 19 of 47
02 July 2009 at 2:07am | IP Logged 

Cainntear wrote:
"Other skills" I would naturally assume to mean speaking, writing and reading, not just reading and nothing else. This makes your advice misleading.

And I'll say it again, yes, there may be some people who are happy reading/writing only, but the majority are not. Your method is therefore harmful to the majority, but you didn't say that at the beginning

No. Listening and speaking are always put together in the same side. I meant by other skill: reading, writing, grammamr, and vocabulary.

Cainntear wrote:
but the majority are not

Are you sure?

I think most non-native students are more interested in the ability of reading academic books in English than the ability to understand Michael Jackson's songs or the dialogues in Star Trek!

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6052 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 

Message 20 of 47
02 July 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged 

JS-1 wrote:
Couldn't you just read parallel
texts?

You cannot read in two languages at the same time, but you can listen to a language and read subtitles in the other.

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 21 of 47
02 July 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
I started another thread a couple of weeks ago that showed many people are interested in reading, parallel texts, mixes of audio and text, etc. I was trying to get a handle on how many people are primarily interested in learning to read great books in their chosen languages, and can't say that became much clearer. I am primarily interested in reading, however, and there seem to be some others on the forum. I'm very interested in the look of the writing system, the combinations of characters that make up the words, the calligraphy (if that's a major factor in the language), the feel of the books (which differ so much in their paper, bindings, typefaces, etc.) and, of course, in the original texts themselves, of which translations are generally pale shadows.

Hashemi--you may be interested to know that a friend and I are working on our Arabic (and I'm only beginning; my friend has some experience) by patiently working through a few sentences of Alf Layla wa Layla (1,001 Nights) each day, after we do our Sa'adi in Persian (we've been doing the Persian for over four years). I am thoroughly enchanted by reading even a tiny bit, at this point, in Arabic. It will take awhile, but we'll eventually be reading semi-fluently, and that will be a great base for whatever else I decide to do (including listening and speaking). I'm not trying to sell anyone on this agenda or this approach; it is simply what motivates me, and I don't think anything is more important than motivation.

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6357 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 22 of 47
02 July 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Hashimi wrote:

Cainntear wrote:
but the majority are not

Are you sure?

I think most non-native students are more interested in the ability of reading academic books in English than the ability to understand Michael Jackson's songs or the dialogues in Star Trek!

Oh, how mistaken you are! I've been teaching English to groups of students for a while now, and the school's curriculum requires the use of academic texts to help students learn English. Most students were failing English class until I allowed them to use things they actually like (you know, the 'useless' stuff like Michael Jackson's songs and Star Trek dialogues).

Now, I don't care if a student fails a class; all that matters to me is that he/she learns English in an enjoyable way.

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5823 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 23 of 47
02 July 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
I think this would be a great way to learn to read....

Another great tool in the belt.

We are allowed more than one tool in the belt aren't we? :p

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6052 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 

Message 24 of 47
02 July 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 

Rmss wrote:
Most students were failing English class until I allowed them to use things they actually like (you know, the 'useless' stuff like Michael Jackson's songs and Star Trek dialogues).

They are not serious students. The majority of people around the globe are not interested in the Anglo-Saxon culture, except few millions of Anglophiles or Americophiles.

If you look at university students in China for example, you will find that most of them are more interested in understanding English books in their majors and fields than to understand the useless stuff you mentioned. I'm not talking about those who go to English teaching schools and become very happy when they memorize the lyrics of the Beatles songs, or are eager to watch Hollywood movies without subtitles.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version