Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
81 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 10 11 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 81
09 June 2015 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Much of my reading has a scientific edge, and that means that I learn a fair amount of so called rare words simply by reading. So I do know that method and use it too, but that has not stopped me from also learning words through wordlists and other intensive techniques.

The crux of the matter is that you have to be choosy about the words you learn, both through such techniques and from genuine sources. If I put the unknown 'technical' words from my popular science articles into a wordlist this will mean that I have read about the topic and that I probably know what the chosen words refer to - and if not, then I skip the dubious words. 'Technical' and other special words from a dictionary may be included if I find them interesting AND know/understand exactly what their translations in the dictionary refer to - otherwise I skip them. There is no point in learning a word if you don't know what it means. And to my mind there is not a big difference between learning a word which has been explained to you in an article or one which occurs in a dictionary with a crystal clear translation, referring to something you know well in another language.

And the context? Well, even if I have seen a word in some article or book I'll need more exposure to get a real grasp of its meaning. And knowing a word from a dictionary based wordlist or from one single previous occurrence are equally good when you see it later on - the important thing is that it now 'rings a bell'.

Edited by Iversen on 09 June 2015 at 12:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 81
09 June 2015 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Rather than respond to a remarkably laughable piece of self-important hogwash about me that has nothing to do
with the thread, I'll just quote one of my favourite expressions: Who died and made you queen?

Please, can we get back to the thread? Rereading the OP, I was intrigued by the following passage:

Lucie Tellier wrote:

In my experience, learning words haphazardly like I've been doing has several drawbacks. I've realised today that
while I know some words that are rare, my understanding of some of the most frequent words is still fuzzy... or
nonexistent.

Here we have a person who demonstrates a pretty good command of English yet confesses to difficulty with
some common words. How can this be?

I wish the OP had provided some specific examples of this. Two ideas come to mind. Firstly, putting aside the
grammar or function words that are at the top of a frequency list, the content words are frequent because they
have many uses and different meanings The real problem here therefore is probably the uncommon use of
common words.

For example the Spanish verb ir "to go" is very rich. Just one verb form alone, the imperative vaya has
40 dictionary entries here:
Vaya

Secondly, these frequent words are also very rich in idioms and metaphors. These are often challenging because
they use two planes of understanding. I was reminded of this when I read the very first sentence of Harry Potter
and the Philosopher's Stone:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you
very much.

What I had great difficulty understanding was "thank you very much" at the end of the sentence. Of course, I
knew the words. I use them every day when people do something for me, but what are they doing here? Who
does the "you" refer to? To me, the reader? Why thank me?

I turned to the French version:

Mr et Mrs Dursley, qui habitaient au 4, Privet Drive, avaient toujours affirmé avec la plus grande fierté qu'ils
étaient parfaitement normaux, merci pour eux.

The "merci pour eux" gave me a bit of an inkling of what was going on. I think there is a subtle hint of sarcasm or
mockery by the author here that contrasts with how much the Dursleys consider themselves prim and proper.
Very nice writing indeed.

I'm not sure that my interpretation is right. Maybe other people have better ideas. But the point is that
understanding some very common words can indeed be very challenging.

Edited by s_allard on 09 June 2015 at 2:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 27 of 81
09 June 2015 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Who died and made you queen?

I did! Isn't life wonderful?

Quote:
The "merci pour eux" gave me a bit of an inkling of what was going on. I think
there is a subtle hint of sarcasm or
mockery by the author here that contrasts with how much the Dursleys consider
themselves prim and proper.
Very nice writing indeed.

I'm not sure that my interpretation is right. Maybe other people have better ideas.
But the point is that
understanding some very common words can indeed be very challenging.

Thank you, captain obvious. We were not aware of this piece of information for a long
time, but Sherlock Allard has cleared it up for us.

Come on, at least try to contribute to the discussion.

Of course, I am aware that some very common words can indeed be very challenging, so I
will state it here: yes, this is sarcasm. This is a thinly-veiled reproach at your
address to buck up your act and stop making us all sick of the trolling. We know your
viewpoint and you are frankly making these discussions impossible for us to partake in
or even want to participate.

Edited by tarvos on 09 June 2015 at 2:47pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4323 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 28 of 81
09 June 2015 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you
very much.

What I had great difficulty understanding was "thank you very much" at the end of the sentence. Of course, I
knew the words. I use them every day when people do something for me, but what are they doing here? Who
does the "you" refer to? To me, the reader? Why thank me?

Yes. It's something like sarcasm addressed to an imaginary audience.

http://www.italki.com/question/54216

"thanks very much" can be expanded to something like "thanks very much for asking". So "I feel fine, thanks very much (for asking)" could be sarcastic, especially no one has asked after your health.

In this case it's meant in a sarcastic manner to emphasise how stupid questioning their normality is.

Edited by patrickwilken on 09 June 2015 at 2:57pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 29 of 81
09 June 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks @patrickwilken for the interesting link to the italki question and answer. I see I wasn't the only person
having difficulty understanding these common words.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 30 of 81
09 June 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Let me try to contribute to the discussion instead of wasting brain power being nasty. I really like the following
passage in iversen's post:

Iversen wrote:
.... There is no point in learning a word if you don't know what it means. And to my mind there is
not a big difference between learning a word which has been explained to you in an article or one which occurs in a
dictionary with a crystal clear translation, referring to something you know well in another language.

I know that iversen is talking about technical words here, but I wonder if this can be applied to the problem of
understanding frequent words, the theme of the thread. Probably not because the crux of the problem with
common words is the many meanings whereas technical words tend to have limited meanings and often have direct
translations into one's native language.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 81
09 June 2015 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Rather than respond to a remarkably laughable piece of self-important hogwash about me that has nothing to do with the thread,

Just in case: the long post had nothing to do with you and everything with the OP. Despite the subject line, it's pretty clear that the real question is "how can I improve my already good English?"
Abstract discussions are tricky because everyone's situation is different.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 32 of 81
09 June 2015 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I'll admit that I can be bombastic, repetitive and sarcastic at times. I know I get under some people's skin. I'm
also tenacious and I like to write. Hey, I'm a word geek. I'm also a good sport. I get accused of all sorts of things
but I'm used to it. I can roll with the punches. When I'm wrong I'll admit it and apologize when necessary.

But if there's one thing I abhor, it's nastiness. I don't understand why people go out of their way to be rude,
insulting and sometimes downright dishonest when they could be contributing to the thread.

I may disagree vehemently with certain positions here - and I'm not shy about saying so - but I don't make
personal attacks . In fact, there are people who names I never mention and whose posts I usually ignore because I
believe they're not worth my time.

On the other hand, I will gladly name and engage with those posters whom I believe are making a significant
contribution to the debate, despite any differences of opinion. I will continue until the moderator asks me to
stop.

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version