81 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

Me: Tre øl takk.
Interlocutor: Okay so three biers?
Me: ¿Eh? No hablo inglés.
Interlocutor: You wants three biers then?
Me: ¿Cómo? Pero che, te acabo de decir que no hablo inglés, ¡coño!/¡carajo! Tre øl
takk.
Interlocutor: Unnskyld!! (looks embarassed) Tre øl.

Have you tried simply saying "ja, ja, tre øl. takk!"?
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4080 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 74 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

This is what I do nowadays if anyone switches on me. This is just a sample of what it
might look like:

Me: ¿Cómo? Pero che, te acabo de decir que no hablo inglés, ¡coño!/¡carajo! Tre øl
takk.

That seems like a lot of wasted energy just to be able to "win out" with your three
words in Norwegian.

Different battles for different folk, I suppose.

R.
==

This was just a shortened version. You would have to repeat when the server comes back
to take order for food and whatever else. Maybe if it is not crowded, a short
conversation.

In a long term case, like making friends, there are techniques like not showing
passports, saying that you are from another country, which I talked about in my log.
Of course it reuuires a poker face, but the main thing is that if you want to avoid
switching at all costs you have to lie. Some people after telling them that you want
practise might just say, "Ah, well who cares, everyone speaks English, you are an
Anglophone, and Anglophones speak English". Pretending to know 0 English puts the onus
on them because speaking a language of which an interlocutor knows 0 words is just
going to be waste energy on their part, in addition to them risking looking insulting.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4080 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 75 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

takk.

Have you tried simply saying "ja, ja, tre øl. takk!"?

You could, but then by saying "ja", it implies that you understood what the server
said in English. By continuing on in another L2, you can give the impression that you
have no idea what the server said and only can communicate either in your other L2 and
this target language.

Maybe overanalysing a bit, but I spent a lot of time on trying to make strategies.
Something that carries over from chess I guess :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 76 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Honestly I doubt anyone believes that you literally don't understand even simple things like "three beers". You can also skip the "ja" and simply repeat what you said. And maybe prepare stock phrases like "oh, no need to speak English, I speak _____" (preferably colloquial).

In short exchanges, the problem can be simply that it sounds like "tre øl takk" is your limit. Have you explored the cultural differences/expectations? Honestly in Finland and Scandinavia I would definitely say hello first, and if I wanted to start a conversation I'd ask which beer they recommend or something. Or even simply order a specific brand of beer.

Edited by Serpent on 13 June 2015 at 9:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 77 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

... but the main thing is that if you want to avoid switching at all costs you have to lie.

We're from two different generations (if you were to believe Cavesa, my generation is not good at languages), but that has never been my experience.

I have the best language experiences when I'm respectful and honest in my intentions. I've never had to lie. But I always make an attempt to go in prepared for what might be discussed. If that means spending a half hour beforehand poring over either a dictionary or phrasebook for things I might need to say or understand, then so be it. But having to lie never turns out well, especially if there's a friendship involved.

If it's just about ordering food/drink, well, like I said, different battles for different folk. I'm not going to really get bothered by the service industry using English.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 14 June 2015 at 3:29am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 78 of 81
13 June 2015 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Ironically it's probably harder to convince someone that you literally don't speak any English than that your L2 is good enough. Nobody is secretly plotting to deprive you of language practice. They're just trying to be helpful.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 79 of 81
14 June 2015 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa: have you tried asking? A lot of people want to make friends with foreigners just
for free English practice.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 81
15 June 2015 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Or drop those beers. If the waiter wants a power struggle on top of fleecing you (beers in Norway are horrendously expensive!) then let him find a more submissive victim.

Edited by Iversen on 18 June 2015 at 3:09pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version