350 messages over 44 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 ... 43 44 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 321 of 350
29 May 2015 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm still so curious about whether smallwhite finishes most books after mining enough vocabulary from them...
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 322 of 350
29 May 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm still so curious about whether smallwhite finishes most books after mining enough vocabulary from them...

But once you've learnt the 1700 words that comprise Alice in Wonderland why bother reading the book? Reading just doesn't seem very efficient to me.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 323 of 350
29 May 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm still so curious about whether smallwhite finishes most books after mining
enough vocabulary from them...

I can't say I finished every book I mined for vocab, but I wouldn't buy a book just to
get some words of it, and let it dust on the shelves, unfinished... That's what dictionaries
are for :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 324 of 350
29 May 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
;D true.

As for this...
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I did notice that many of the early replies to smallwhite's posts started with apologetic words along the lines of don't take this the wrong way but...

People seemed to be anticipating potential curt replies. We're all inquisitive here and when met with radical new study methods its only natural for inquiries, scepticism, doubt, praise etc. I found smallwhite's efficient methods very interesting and its great she shared her methods with us- I could certainly improve my efficiency... but..

I wasn't anticipating negativity or sugar-coating criticism. I just thought it was important to show that I don't think smallwhite's (or s_allard's) strategy is 100% bad. It obviously works, the issue is that it's not for everyone, and maybe even not for most.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 325 of 350
29 May 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Serpent wrote:

But once you've learnt the 1700 words that comprise Alice in Wonderland why bother reading the book? Reading just doesn't seem very efficient to me.

Oh, please! Not this again!

:D

Edited by rdearman on 29 May 2015 at 5:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 326 of 350
30 May 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
;D true.

As for this...
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I did notice that many of the early replies to smallwhite's posts started with
apologetic words along the lines of don't take this the wrong way but...

People seemed to be anticipating potential curt replies. We're all inquisitive here and when met with radical
new study methods its only natural for inquiries, scepticism, doubt, praise etc. I found smallwhite's efficient
methods very interesting and its great she shared her methods with us- I could certainly improve my
efficiency... but..

I wasn't anticipating negativity or sugar-coating criticism. I just thought it was important to show that I don't
think smallwhite's (or s_allard's) strategy is 100% bad. It obviously works, the issue is that it's not for
everyone, and maybe even not for most.

Ok, we were making different points it seems. And while I'm commenting, I agree with your above summary
of s-allard and smallwhites methods. If you're clarifying that you want to distance yourself from my comments
thats fine and perfectly understandable given your main point was essentially quite different to mine.

I quoted you as a lead in to the point I wanted to make regarding smallwhite's apparent tone. Your words
seemed to fit for the point I wanted to make. I apologize if you didn't want to be a part of that, I must've
misinterpreted you.

What you quoted above of myself was only a lead in to my main points/comments, which you weren't obliged
to also quote but I just want to let it be known to my masses of fans and followers that I made my point after
your quote of myself. I was attempting to point something out I had observed without being completely abrupt
about it. If you want to call that sugar-coated criticism then you'd be right. To jump straight into my critical
points would've been a little hypocritical considering I was saying smallwhite's responses appeared
curt/abrupt/arrogant.

Either way we were making different points then Serpent. This is a perfect example of how
misunderstandings arise and why elaborating and aiming to understand others with emphathy leads to a
friendlier forum. Let's encourage a friendly exchange of ideas... shall we not? And while I'm at it lets
encourage an atmosphere of respect of everyone no matter backgrounds, learning styles, flaws, number of
languages, experience and so on. We're all human :) [unless of course like me you're part alien, in which
case by all means you have every right to point (my current favourite word) at me, yell obscenities and laugh
till I cry- it's the least you could do for me]

How many cats in a dog?
Like 7, for real an' that

PM
3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 327 of 350
30 May 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Following quote is from Serpent directed at smallwhite
Serpent wrote:

...but since you keep asking how to be received better, let me just point out that many of your responses have
been snarky and basically saying that everyone is inefficient if they can't (or don't want!) to learn 8000
isolated words in a few months. But you admitted it yourself that you eventually get sick of it and burned out.
Nobody pressures you to change your method, though - just to be honest about its weak points.

I could be poking at exposed nerves here that are already mending and I'm undoing the stitches and
dressings but I've only read to page 10 so far... I did notice that many of the early replies to smallwhite's posts
started with apologetic words along the lines of don't take this the wrong way but...

I think this is due to what appears to be abrupt arrogance on smallwhite's part. People seemed to be
anticipating potential curt replies. We're all inquisitive here and when met with radical new study methods its
only natural for inquiries, scepticism, doubt, praise etc. I found smallwhite's efficient methods very interesting
and its great she shared her methods with us- I could certainly improve my efficiency... but...

Perhaps you have become so good at being efficient in life that you have little empathy for those who either
don't understand your explanations properly first take or simply interpret your words incorrectly. Patience and
empathy are virtues that effeciency need not kill.

Okay.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 328 of 350
30 May 2015 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
I've been a little late to this thread (as per usual, late, slow, inefficient).

I don't want to overtake the thread, but I'm acutally wanting to get something useful
out of it now I've decided. Just seeking advice.

I currently enter every single new word I come across into my flashcard deck while I
study courses. I see this as intensive study and a good way to acquire vocab. On the
contrary, during extensive activities I hardly enter any words. The problem is and
I've raised this many times in my own log that it takes so frigging long to add cards.
I use a program called flashcards deluxe- which is not slow, I type fast, that's not
the issue either. The issue is I add a lot of examples below the word/phrase and this
is bloody fiddly.

I'm now wondering whether I adapt some aspect of smallwhite's approach and simply keep
the cards as simple as possible (i will add small phrases for clarification though to
differentiate between adj/noun etc or subtlties in meaning such as:

prendre = take [clarification: food or drink],

prendre = take [transportation]

mettre = to put, to place

mettre = take [clarification: route],

comprendre [clarification être compose en partie de, être composé partiellement de]
= to include, to contain [clarification: to be composed partly of, to be partly made
up of]

comprendre [clarification: saisir le sens de, se rendre compte de, admettre,
concevoir, apprécier]
= to understand, to comprehend, to realise, to see, to sympathize with, to have
feeling for

Anyway I'm considering now that i've passed 10,000 cards to start a completely new
deck as I can't bring myself to delete any old cards. This time I would type my
answers (i always speak them out loud and flip the card to reveal answer) and I would
ONLY enter new words that I am not familiar with/don't understand really easily.

I want to justify why i enter easy words such as cognates. I feel it's dangerous to
assume a word in English can be Frenchified. Examples, demander, chef, commander and
so on. I don't like letting my brain fill in gaps because I feel there are too many
booby-traps. Anyway if anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it. I know as I've
raised this many times some people may be tired of this. I guess the main issue is do
I add comprehensive detail to my flashcards or do away with the fluff (except for
clarifying phrases) and gain my context from reading and coursess?

PM

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version