Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 225 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
rdearman wrote:
You might have time to wander around hoping to learn words organically (aka inefficiently) but I don't have time for that crap. I need to get up to speed in the shortest time possible. So you meander around aimlessly learning 15 words a day, and I'll zip through my 500 words per day list.

If you have an eidetic memory, or if you actively enjoy reading lists of 500 words, go right ahead and do that as part of your language training.

But complaining that "reading normal texts is slow" or taking the attitude that you can't wait in order to master 10000 vocabulary words or whatnot is not a helpful attitude for language learning in general. At the end of the day overall language skill is a process that must be improved through deliberate practice. The goal is not to learn words, it's to get good at the language. Learning words is a CONSEQUENCE of gaining language skill; learning lots of words is not the skill itself. For example, I forget words in my native language all the time and never found it to be problematic. That's what dictionaries and encyclopedias are for.

I'm learning Mandarin. I cannot read Chinese. Period, end of conversation. Until I know about 3000 characters I'm not going to be able to read Mandarin. You can go on about how I'm going to learn all these words by reading, but lets face it, until I get a baseline amount of 3000 Hanzi characters in my brain I cannot read. I cannot read for nuances, or new words or increasing vocabulary. I have to memorise the character from a list, and that list is the list of the most common characters.

Now I and all the other learners of Mandarin or Japanese could try to learn characters via reading, by struggling through paragraph by paragraph looking up each word and trying to remember the sound of the character and the stroke order. Because I can't look it up in a dictionary unless I know the stroke number of the character. Chinese dictionaries aren't in alphabetical order, they are in stroke order. So even looking up the word in a dictionary is a pain in the proverbial. You cannot "sound out" the word from the spelling, you either know the character or you do not.

No, I do not enjoy trying to memorise 3000-4000 characters from SRS and lists, but I'm doing it. I have to do it if I want to read. I have to know how they sound if I want to write them on a computer, because I have to know the PinYin in order to type them in. So not only do I have to know what word this squiggle represents, I have to know what it sounds like, with no clues from letters. So if your goal is to learn Mandarin then actually, yes, you do need to master 3000-4000 characters/vocabulary. And it don't matter one whit if you think it isn't a helpful attitude, you have to do it if you want to learn Mandarin.

So the goal is to learn words/characters. Because you'll never get good at Mandarin, or read Mandarin if you haven't memorised a large baseline of characters/words.

I'm not saying you cannot learn all the words (or characters) via reading. I'm saying it is suboptimal. It is not the most efficient use of your time. At no point in this thread have I said that I enjoy reading lists, I have not said the only thing you need to do is learn vocabulary (this is in fact the third time I have typed that statement in). I have not said you shouldn't read. I'm saying that memorisation of words or characters from a list is more efficient than reading from a book.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 226 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Edited out my frustration. I apologise.

Edited by rdearman on 19 May 2015 at 10:56pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 227 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I think the "learn only the things you've encountered so far" approach is the result of a
negative attitude. It's the "one can never truly master x" attitude. I learn Chinese so that I
get to a stage at which I speak/know it, and don't need to study it any more, just as I
speak/know English and I don't really study it any more. If everything goes right, I could be
in Taiwan as soon as September. I don't want to spend years acquiring stuff as I go along. I
want to learn what I might need, so that I can acquire it, and then "know" it. So that I can
enjoy knowing the language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 228 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I'm learning Mandarin. I cannot read Chinese. Period, end of conversation. Until I know about 3000 characters I'm
not going to be able to read Mandarin. You can go on about how I'm going to learn all these words by reading,
but lets face it, until I get a baseline amount of 3000 Hanzi characters in my brain I cannot read. I cannot read for
nuances, or new words or increasing vocabulary. I have to memorise the character from a list, and that list is the
list of the most common characters.

So the goal is to learn words/characters. Because you'll never get good at Mandarin, or read Mandarin if you
haven't memorised a large baseline of characters/words.

I'm not saying you cannot learn all the words (or characters) via reading. I'm saying it is suboptimal. It is not the
most efficient use of your time. At no point in this thread have I said that I enjoy reading lists, I have not said the
only thing you need to do is learn vocabulary (this is in fact the third time I have typed that statement in). I have
not said you shouldn't read. I'm saying that memorisation of words or characters from a list is more efficient than
reading from a book.

I can't really comment on the specifics of learning characters for Chinese or Japanese but I can sympathize with
this argument of having a baseline of a certain number of words or characters in a language. When I broached
the subject of a language kernel some months ago here at HTLAL, all hell broke loose and I thought I was going
to be frogmarched out the forum.

What I said in a nutshell was that for a certain style of speaking in Spanish one could define a set of around 450-
500 key words and grammatical concepts that should be studied explicitly or upfront in order to master that
speaking style. The list was broken down into various functional categories. For example, there were around 60
key verbs that you have to know inside out. I would certainly encourage an advanced learner to concentrate on
studying these words in a very disciplined fashion.

Does this correspond to the idea of a baseline of Chinese characters? I don't know.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 229 of 350
19 May 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Yes there are 1000's of those sorts of examples which you need to learn from using the language. But there are
hundreds of thousands of names/nouns/etc which do not require nuances of context. The meaning of these
words will not change, they are not nuanced, and they are rare, you're not going to see them in a typical English
book, so you can learn them now in case it ever comes up.

dapifer
decastyle
decastich
epiploce
sciolist
scolion
epopt
wanion

Am I reading this right? I can hardly believe my eyes. Are learners of English being encouraged to learn dapifer,
decastyle,
etc. "in case it (sic) ever comes up." If this is not tongue-in-cheek, I think there is no point debating
any more. I rest my case. This says it all.

The point is even native speakers don't know all the words that might be used, so learning any word is useful.

EDITED out my bad manners.

Edited by rdearman on 19 May 2015 at 10:56pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5232 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 230 of 350
19 May 2015 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Yes there are 1000's of those sorts of examples which you need to learn from using the language. But there are
hundreds of thousands of names/nouns/etc which do not require nuances of context. The meaning of these
words will not change, they are not nuanced, and they are rare, you're not going to see them in a typical English
book, so you can learn them now in case it ever comes up.

dapifer
decastyle
decastich
epiploce
sciolist
scolion
epopt
wanion

Am I reading this right? I can hardly believe my eyes. Are learners of English being encouraged to learn dapifer,
decastyle,
etc. "in case it (sic) ever comes up." If this is not tongue-in-cheek, I think there is no point debating
any more. I rest my case. This says it all.

The point is even native speakers don't know all the words that might be used, so learning any word is useful.
Except to you, who already knows in advance all words which anyone will ever speak to you.

For those who are not off on a wild-goose chase of obscure and useless words, thought might be given to
working on that neglected subject of a frequency list of grammatical structures. I know that the thread here is on
time spent studying vocabulary but I believe that vocabulary and grammar are intertwined and often inseparable.

When we talk about words in context, we are talking about grammatical and semantic surroundings. Just as we
try to define lists of high-frequency words for strategic learning, I think it's useful to combine such lists with
inventory or list of rules for putting words together. Of course, the emphasis here is on the functional or
grammar words that are always on the top of word frequency lists. Then verb forms occupy a large part. As for
adjectives and nouns there are often issues of morphological inflection.

So, instead of wasting time on memorizing rare and obscure words - that I would call useless - time would be
better spent on mastering grammatical concepts that will maker a bigger difference in language performance and
demonstrate true mastery of the language.

For example, in a language like French, everyone knows that grammatical gender agreement is one of the most
difficult things to master. Improper gender morphology inflection is the number one indicator of imperfect
knowledge. Obviously, that is something to work on relentlessly. But within the grammatical gender construct
there are two interesting subcategories. There are words that are spelled the same but are
distinguished by different genders. We have for example, le tour and la tour, la manche and le manche plus many
others. Then we have a small category of words that are of one gender in the singular and another gender in the
plus. For example, un amour and les amours (feminine), un orgue and les orgues (feminine).

So, in addition to getting all the regular gender markings right, which is a already a big challenge, mastering
these two small subcategories of gender complexities is the sign of a great speaker of French. The learner
attempting to use rare words and then tripping on grammatical gender will usually provoke great amusement
among native speakers.

Edit: I have removed a first paragraph that was in response to comments that have been since removed.

Edited by s_allard on 20 May 2015 at 12:13am

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 231 of 350
20 May 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

So, instead of wasting time on memorizing rare and obscure words - that I would call useless - time would be
better spent on mastering grammatical concepts that will maker a bigger difference in language performance and
demonstrate true mastery of the language.

Exactly! If you spend less time doing vocabulary by using an efficient method then you have more time to spend on grammar studies and other language nuances like learning irregular verb usage. I'm glad you've agreed with me. Thank you.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4467 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 232 of 350
20 May 2015 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I almost hesitate to admit that I use Anki to memorise words. I've not grabbed the words at random,
they're either used in one or other of the textbooks (or, now, native books) that I use or they
came from one of the wordlists that people have compiled for the JLPT. So almost all the words I'm
learning are words that I have come into contact with and will come into contact with again (when I
review the textbook or book at a later date).

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version