Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4150 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 24
23 January 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I made a word count on almost everything I've read in English, in the 24h period between
yesterday 12PM and today 12PM.: 4249 words. But the fora I usually read were a bit more quiet
than usual, so perhaps on a better day the number could raise.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4967 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 18 of 24
23 January 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Counting pages:

French - 30
Norwegian - 10
German - 10
Chinese - 5
Georgian - 4
Russian - 3

These numbers may vary, but these have been the usual ones lately. It is extremely tiresome to read the weaker languages beyond those numbers.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 24
25 January 2015 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
My first thought was that the question would be impossible to answer because I don't count pages and even less words. A standard novel would contain from around 70-80.000 words to maybe 200.000 for a really thick time spender. The problem is that most of my reading nowadays isn't whole books from A to Z, but articles from the internet, magazines and other fragmented sources, but based on the time I spend and coupling that information with information about the time I spend on books of a given size in situations where I know the time frame, I would say that I probably read the equivalent of a very small novel daily as extensive reading. Though in most cases it wouldn't be a novel or even a book, but more likely a motley assembly of shorter texts in maybe half a dozen languages.

Right before I became language crazed in 2006 (for the second time) I would probably have read more, but if we go even further back I had other time consuming hobbies like painting and composing music which took some of my free time, so all in all: my guess is that I read an average about 50.000 words daily (including stuff in Danish and English).

The sustained reading sessions I mentioned above include reading "Introduccion a la España medieval" (227 pages in Spanish) during my recent flight back home from Málaga to Billund in Denmark - around 3 hours. Reading one of the first Harry Potter books in the train from Århus til Sorø - around 2½ hours. The fat "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (796 pages) once took most of my flight time back across the Atlantic Ocean from the USA - but that included time for for eating and doing nothing. And now we are at that series: I bought "H.P. e o prisoneiro de Azkaban" in Funchal on Madeira (345 pages), and as far as I remember I read it in one evening. By inference, if I spent an evening reading assorted stuff on the internet or in magazines it would probably amount to one fat book, and given that I spend more time on intensive studies than on reading for fun the sober estimate would be a small book daily.

Edited by Iversen on 26 January 2015 at 3:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 20 of 24
25 January 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I don't count words either. It varies so much between the languages I speak and study.

It may take me a half an hour to read/figure out two sentences in Ojibwe, where I could plow through 20 pages of Spanish or Italian.

And, what exactly is a word? This has been brought up several times here on HTLAL, but a single word in an agglutinating language may equal a full sentence in a non-agglutinating one.

I count amount of time spent reading.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 24
26 January 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
There is an interesting list of novel lengths at commonplacebook.com, but unfortunately only for books in English. However it should in principle be possible to import a book in several translations into MS Word or LibreOffice or whatever and let the software count the number of words and letters in each language, and then we might get a fairly reliable indication of quantitative differences between languages - especially if the translations go in different directions, not always from English into something else.

But frankly, even if one language is slightly more longwinded (or whatever you might call it) than another, that doesn't prove that it takes longer to read it. Maybe a book in Russian or German has more characters and fewer words than its translation into English, but probably not so much that it really affects the time it takes for a native trained reader to get through it. Individual differences in reading speed will be much more important.

Edited by Iversen on 26 January 2015 at 4:24pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4334 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 22 of 24
26 January 2015 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
There is an interesting list of novel lengths at commonplacebook.com, but unfortunately only for books in English.

Readlang gives you a word count for books imported into the system in EPUB format.

Chillr
Australia
Joined 3835 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 23 of 24
26 January 2015 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm on day 3 of a project to read one tanka (a 31 syllable Japanese poem) every day out of a book of 101
Tanka. I guess you could describe it as a 'mini-habit' project.

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3343 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 24 of 24
17 March 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
When I read French I always listen to a recorded audio version simultaneously, so I tend to count time values only. Currently I listen for at least 30 minutes each day. While listening I read along with the English-translation version of the material (first pass) and then later do the same while reading along with the original French version (second pass).

After counting a few samples this 30 minute time slot seems to be equivalent to about 4600-5000 words per 30-minute slot. If I were studying seriously, I would increase the time to about 3 hours per day, which would mean about 28-30k words read.

But I'm still in the beginner/intermediate stage of my learning. After I get more comfortable with listening, I could switch off the recordings and just sight read material without listening. For an experienced person with the language this should definitely be much faster than listening, so in the long run I could hope to achieve a rate of 60k words per day.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version