Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6926 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 1 of 24
22 January 2015 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Just curious, really, and of course interested to see how I stack up!

I'd estimate I'm reading anywhere between 1000 (on a slow day, or one where I'm focusing
mainly on listening or writing) to 6000. I feel like I could bring this number way up, and I'm
wondering how you all are faring with your reading.

Do you have a certain goal per day? How much emphasis are you currently putting on reading as
opposed to other skills?
1 person has voted this message useful

IarllTroseddwr
United States
Joined 3461 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 24
22 January 2015 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I'm not so sure about words, but I have been keeping track of the number of pages read since the start of the Tadoku Challenge. From what I gather online, in English, 250 words is considered average (I assume for paperback novel type books?). I've been reading Spanish, so I'm not sure the equivalent. My goal is to average about 100 pages per day for the entire month. I was doing fairly well and hit my mark for the first 10 days this month and was able to finish 2 and half books by the halfway point. Then reality hit and I realized that I don't like reading novels and the numbers really started to drop if I wasn't making a conscious effort. Thankfully, reading two books at once with different types of stories has helped me keep things interesting, as well as including manga.

Even if you're reading slower than you would like, the important thing is to keep on reading!

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 24
22 January 2015 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
That's a really interesting question. I thought about calculating how many words a day I read in
English, but never got around to it. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
As of now, I can approximate how many words daily was I reading during my extensive reading
attempt/phase in Japanese: 702 pages/70 days*185 words per page= ~1855 words a day.
The number of words per page in the books I was reading varied from 160 to 250, so I settled on
185 words per page, just to be on the safe side.

I'd be interested in the relation between pages read per day, and reading speed though. Being
able to read more quickly can improve comprehension, and boost motivation to keep reading (just
as higher comprehension). At the beginning, I read about 30 WPM, and by the end, closer to 60
WPM.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 22 January 2015 at 2:09am

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3809 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 24
22 January 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I aim for 20 pages a day, so roughly 5,000 words a day. Some days it is more, some days it is less, but on
average, that is about right.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5177 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 24
22 January 2015 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I track my reading in terms of words read instead of pages or books. I found that the amount of words per page varied way too much depending on the book. For example, I have a Spanish version of the second Hunger Games book here that has half the amount of pages as The Firm by John Grisham but the same amount of words. They have the same amount of words, but the Grisham book has twice as many pages. Keeping track by words is the most accurate and objective way. It is fairly easy to get a good estimate of words in each book. In terms of setting reading goals I think counting words is the way to go. I am targeting 1,000,000 words in novels for the year and that should be pretty easy. That's on about 30-40 minutes a day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3901 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 6 of 24
22 January 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I only have reading goals when I pick up a book from the library, in which case I aim to read at least as much as is necessary to finish the book within three weeks.

Right now I'm reading Belle du Seigneur, which is 900 pages, so I am aiming to read on average 40 pages per day. Since the paperback edition is well over 1000 pages, I'm guessing my huge hardback is around 300 words per page, which comes to a reading goal of 12,000 words per day. But I read plenty of other things in French too, online, that I don't count.

That's just right now, though. Most books I pick up from the library are around 3-400 pages, which at 250 words per page comes to more like 4,200 words per day.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4509 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 24
22 January 2015 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
I measure pages not words, and I can read insane amounts in a day in my better languages.
If I have the time, hundreds of pages in a day is not uncommon. Otherwise, it's more 50-
100 pages, dependent on which language it is that I'm reading and who the author is. I
also don't read different books at the same time - I move on only after I've finished a
book.

Edited by tarvos on 22 January 2015 at 12:59pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5064 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 24
22 January 2015 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't count, words or pages. I couldn't tell you how many words I've read in any language. I just read. The last book I read in Spanish was "Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto" by Julia Navarro. I read it on my kindle. I saw that the hard copy says it has 904 pages. I just knew that it was a looong book. It took me a couple of weeks to finish it. I also read throughout the day when I get the chance in Spanish, Portuguese, Ladino and Haitian Creole.

Perhaps word-counting is more important if you have a goal in a language, but not for me. I just read, a lot. The words seem to take care of themselves- however many there are.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 January 2015 at 1:48pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version