48 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 48
14 January 2015 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Aw, pity. But the good thing is that you can adapt this to your changing plans?

@ Via Diva, when you feel like Gandalf there, you can count the album for the challenge :))) unless on the third song or so you're like "oh THAT one! now i remember yeeees" :D or well, if this happens only with one or two songs, it's still okay :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 26 of 48
14 January 2015 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Here's an update: Last week, I did 1/2 of the 23 songs out of this playlist (plus a few others from Spotify) to
satisfy some Spanish wanderlust.

Classic Latin Music

This week, I'm back with French for the music challenge, and I've finished one run-through of Carla
Bruni's Little French Songs
, with another listen to come. There are 11 songs (1 is in Italian + 1 is 1/2
English). I found the original French version of the Italian song and listened to it in French. I'm using
this site for the
paroles/lyrics.

Edited by Mohave on 14 January 2015 at 11:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 27 of 48
19 January 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
This week I am planning on listening to Quebec Love by Robert Charlebois. He is an important
singer/songwriter in Canadian French Music. One of my language exchange partners introduced him to me
with the song Ordinaire which I love! Here is a YouTube Video
clip and Ordinaire Paroles & Lyrics

Edited by Mohave on 19 January 2015 at 4:12pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 48
20 January 2015 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Okay, I'm starting to understand why people don't tend to be the best at their own challenges :D That's why they start them in the first place! Taken me embarrassingly long even to write an introduction and listen to a couple of songs.

My weeks start on Monday, and I'm not very typical in that I'm much less likely to listen to music at the weekend. Weekends are mostly reserved for my other big hobby, football. Of course one or two songs isn't much but my brain tends to be already overloaded. So I'll be doing mostly one album per week or two songs per weekday, at least when the season is on. My lastfm is serpent849 btw.

I came up with this challenge at a small festival in Ylijärvi last summer. I had no visa during the most active festival period and got to see "only" two artists I really love (normally it's much more at Finnish festivals). These were Jonne Aaron and Herra Ylppö ja ihmiset (the second song is one I know well). Both are projects of singers I know from other bands, Negative (in English, there are Spanish subtitles though :D) and Maj Karma (in Finnish). Both bands have been put on hold, both side projects are somewhat softer. (Charon and Harmaja are a similar story btw. Oh and in two of the three cases, the new softer songs are in Finnish while the old rocky ones were in English. Also, I didn't realize I was seeing one of Ihmisten very last concerts, and Karma is coming back now)

Back then, I thought my Finnish tastes were stuck in 2005-2008 because it's more enjoyable to solve the lyrics as puzzles than to listen comfortably (and this probably also applies). So I came up with this challenge. Looking back, I see that I was afraid of being disappointed - and not without reason. I thought the first album I would do was going to be Jonne's... I listened to one song and realized why I had been procrastinating on something supposedly so awesome. I don't think I can even listen to this kind of stuff every day.

So far Vaarallista elämää has been the only one I could listen several times. And this was the 5th song I tried since the second week of January... Jonne remains amazing live though, so I'm going to focus on the live versions maybe.

As for the personal definitions, I'm definitely going to count songs I heard live before, or even albums to which I frantically listened once before a concert/festival. From now on I'll also try to do at least 10 songs during other challenges (maybe less during 2-week Tadoku). Ideally, 10 per language :D I'll also count as little English as possible, though there are some cases where I can't resist, such as with Moonspell. I won't learn the lyrics by heart, but I'll try to develop the cues so to say, ie be able to hear the first line and remember the whole verse, at least in my strong(er) languages. I'll also clear any grammar doubts I might have. Vocabulary will be mostly left for "revision" weeks, unless it's just one or two words. In the revision weeks I'll also learn the song on lyricstraining if available and possibly SRS some lines, read online discussions of the meaning etc.

About genres, I love all kinds of Finnish rock and metal, from Uniklubi to Impaled Nazarene. I'm also doing my best to discover this kind of stuff in other languages of course, and especially Portugal shares a similar kind of melancholy. But as you can see I'll also be listening to what I can't ignore but have mixed feelings about. Eventually Luciano Ligabue might be in this category too.

Edited by Serpent on 20 January 2015 at 5:40am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 29 of 48
20 January 2015 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Album's length is around 48 munutes, one song (of 13) is definitely English, but even without it I got over 40 minutes :)

Thought I'd clarify that the length only matters if the whole album has less than 7 songs. But really long ones like those of Moonsorrow.
And if one song in a different language, it remains part of the album. This challenge is also about discovering new music, after all.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4024 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 30 of 48
20 January 2015 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Well there are albums like this :D

or even this:

Actually when you are a prog-addict, 10-20 minutes songs aren't long at all :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 31 of 48
21 January 2015 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that was exactly the kind of stuff I meant!

Yesterday I noticed there's a Serbian band called Negativ. I don't like female vocals but maybe someone likes this.

After listening to a song called "Ti me ne voliš" (you don't love me), I thought it was amusing to listen to "Ne volim te" (i don't love you), by Radioclare's favourite band Hladno pivo.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 48
22 January 2015 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Wednesday:
Hladno pivo - Fotoaparat. About focusing so much on cameras (and now selfies) that we forget to live our lives.

Uniklubi - Mitä vittua? I've heard it live several times, and I'm pleasantly surprised (they were never my main reason to be at a festival). I like it much more than most of their songs I listened to in 2005-2006. The title basically means WTF, by the way. It's still such a surreal memory how the singer would say "mitä..." and the whole audience would continiue: "...vittua!", then rinse and repeat.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version