Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 25 of 292
18 January 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
I made a bit more of an effort last night and read 45 pages of 'Три Мускетара', the Serbian children's book which I am slowly ploughing my way
through. I keep procrastinating picking it up because of how difficult I find it, but then when I finally started reading it last night it wasn't
*that* difficult, so perhaps I am improving slightly. Having been working on my Cyrillic handwriting really helped me
with reading the words that were written in italics.

I watched the first episode of series two of the Montenegrin soap 'Budva na pjenu od mora' last night. I was a little bit worried that it would
start by recapping the entire of series 1, so that by the time I got to the end of series 3 there would be 55 minutes of recaps and 5 minutes of
actual storyline, but mercifully they started from scratch. The action picked up a few weeks after series 1 ended, so there have been
some changes in the lives of some of the characters as a result of what happened at the end of series 1, but not too much. One particularly
interesting thing about this episode was that one of the characters decided to leave Budva and go back to his roots, visiting his old family home
in Žabljak. Žabljak is a town in northern Montenegro, in the very mountainous national park bit of the country, and so there
were some wonderful shots of the scenery. Žabljak has just been promoted to the top of my list of places in Montenegro that I really want to visit
:)

My text on Lang-8 was corrected overnight by someone who is extremely thorough. I think I have a correction in every sentence!

Quote:
Sljedeći sam dan istražila Skoplje. Pročitala sam mnogo članaka na engleskom u
kojima
se piše o kontroverznom projektu "Skoplje 2014". Taj je projekt ideja makedonske vlade. Cilj
je uljepšati grad, koji nema puno lijepih povijesnih zgrada zato što je sve bilo uništeno zemljotresom 1963
godine. Vlada gradi nove zgrade u neoklasičnu stilu. Također, gradi se mnogo spomenika.
Spomenicima oslikavaju poznate povijesne osobe poput Aleksandra Velikog. Projekt je kontroverzni zato što
puno košta, a Makedonija nije bogata zemlja. Mnogo su Makedonci siromašni i nezaposlenost je veliki problem. Kaže se i da je
projekt previše nacionalistički, jer vlada nastoji prikazati da je Makedonija velika zemlja s važnom prošlosču. Nisu
svi
ljudi koji žive u Makedoniji etnički Makedonci. Ima i mnogo Albanaca, a projekt "Skoplje 2014" ne slavi albansku povijest.

Dakle, bila sam jako uzbuđena da imam priliku vidjeti kako Skoplje zapravo izgleda. Bilo mi je odmah jasno da projekt još
nije završen, bez obzira što je već 2014. godina. Bio je ponedjeljak i svugdje sam
vidjela radnike, koji još grade novi grad. Vidjela sam nove vladine urede, nove muzeje, štoviše i nove
mostove. Bilo je puno novih spomenika, ali nisam dovoljno znala o makedonskoj povijesti da bih razumjela točno tko je tko.

Stari grad u Skoplju nije velik. Postoji stari most, čije je ime "Kamen Most" i koji
prelazi
preko rijeke Vardar. Na sjevernoj je strani rijeke Vardar stara tvrđava. Staza do tvrđave je jako strma, a kada
sam konačno stigla tamo bio je vrlo lijep pogled na grad. Moguće je bilo vidjeti cijeli grad, rijeku Vardar i planinu "Vodno", koja se nalazi
izvan grada. Na vrh planine Vodno nalazi se gigantski kršćanski križ. Planina ima žičaru. Odlučila sam da ću
je sutra posjetiti.

Vrijeme u Skoplji je bilo sunčano i toplo. To je lijepo, ali zapravo nama iz Engleske
bilo je previše toplo! Nakon tri sati šetanje gradom morali smo se vratiti u apartman i popiti hladnu vodu. Nisam znala je li
sigurno piti vodu iz slavine u Makedoniji, ali bila sam toliko žedna da sam je ipak popila. Ništa strašno se nije dogodilo, pa prepostavljam da je
voda čista. Uvijek pijem vodu iz slavine, čak kada putujem, ali sjećam se da mi je netko, kada sam bila u Ukrajini, rekao da je to ponekad opasno.
Ali Makedonija nije Ukrajina i Skoplje mi se jako svidjelo. Spomenici su ludi, ali grad je lijep i ljudi su prijateljski :)

Good points about these corrections...

1) I didn't make too many silly case errors :)
2) I didn't get accused of writing anything 'Serbian'
3) I managed to remember that I am female.

Interesting points about these corrections and things I can learn...

1) My reviewer wasn't very happy with my word order for clitics. I had "Sljedeći dan
sam istražila Skoplje." corrected to "Sljedeći sam dan istražila Skoplje." and "Taj
projekt je ideja makedonske vlade." corrected to "Taj je projekt ideja makedonske
vlade." This word order feels sooooo unnatural to me. I mean, I understand that
clitics need to come in the second place in the sentence, but not defining a phrase
like "Taj projekt" as being one grammatical thing seems absurd. I know I have read
somewhere that being this pedantic with clitics is a marker of specifically 'Croatian'
speech but I'm not completely sure whether it's obligatory to be grammatically correct
in Croatian. I'm fairly sure that my original word order would have been acceptable in
Serbian.

2) I then had the same sort of correction but in the opposite direction. I had written
"Na vrh planine Vodno se nalazi..." and I had this corrected to "Na vrh planine Vodno
nalazi se". When I was thinking about the sentence I thought that "Na vrh planine
Vodno" (On the summit of Mount Vodno) was a phrase filling the first position in the
sentence and that the clitic "se" should therefore follow that. But I'm guessing my
reviewer took the view that the phrase "Na vrh planine Vodno" was so long that the
sentence order needed to be reset, hence "Na vrh planine Vodno nalazi se" where
"nalazi" is in the first place of the sentence and "se" is in the second place. I
don't think I have ever successfully got this right. It seems so arbitrary to me when
sentence order resets and when it doesn't.

3) Apparently there is a difference in when it's appropriate to use "mnogo" and when
it's appropriate to use "puno". I need to figure this out.

4) Stylistically it is better to start a sentence with "Dakle" rather than insert it
partway through the sentence. And "dakle" must always be followed by a comma, after
which the word order resets.

5) In order to say that something happened in a year, I need to remember to insert
"godine" after the numbers.

6) All my commas were wrong, but I haven't bothered correcting those. Commas are very
far down my list of things to worry about :D

Edited by Radioclare on 18 January 2015 at 8:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 26 of 292
18 January 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
On point 1, you are correct. I find this application of the rules for placing clitics to be slavish/unduly strict and a little bit akin to how some English speakers proscribe sentences that end in a preposition or containing a split infinitive. You probably know already though how I feel about nationalism masquerading as proofreading/corrections in BCMS/SC...

Alexander has some comments on this application of the clitics using the example of "Western" Moja je sestra učiteljica and "Eastern" Moja sestra je učiteljica

Alexander, Ronnelle. “Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian. A Grammar with Sociolinguistic Commentary.” Madison, WI: 2006, pp. 399-400 wrote:
[...]

Each is possible according to the rules of the language, and it is largely by chance that one has become more frequent in the east and the other more frequent in the west. In [...] these instances, however, Croatian language planners have taken an existing situation of frequency and drawn conscious attention to the fact that such a way of speaking is to be preferred because it sounds somehow more Croatian. When pressed to elaborate, many Croats will say that it sounds more elegant to place the clitic form after the first accented word, even if it breaks up an adjective noun phrase;[...]

By contrast, if Serbs are asked to elaborate, they usually say that it sounds more natural and straightforward to keep nouns and adjectives together [...] (It is interesting to note the extent to which these beliefs are frequently correlated with emotional attitudes about identity - both one's own and that of the other.) [...]

The most significant point concerns the entirety of BCS speakers, and the existence of a broad range of speech activities which cannot be described in binary terms. That is, most instances of variation in usage cannot simply be assigned to one side or the other. Rather, the attitudes of speakers towards what they speak span an entire gamut. If one again takes the above examples as indicative, it is possible to identify a continuum of reactions to them. At one end would stand the speakers for whom these examples are clearly marked as one or the other, and at the other end would stand speakers who perceive little or no difference between them. As in any continuum, there will be many instances of individuals who fall at various points between these two extremes. It is also relevant to note that not every speaker has the same attitude at any one point in time or in any one instance of speech.

She also has comments on p. 352 of the grammar book on clitic placement and the decision to break up or preserve noun phrases. It's under subheading "164b Optional rhythmic constituents" and even the descriptor "optional" gives a clue about its subjectivity. For our purposes as learners, placing the clitic in literal second position, or in the second position after a complete semantic unit is grammatical even if it may trample on a native speaker's judgement for non-linguistic reasons (see Alexander's comments above).

Alexander, Ronnelle. “Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian. A Grammar with Sociolinguistic Commentary.” Madison, WI: 2006, p. 352 wrote:
[...]Most sentences tend to begin with noun phrases, typically the sentence's subject. Frequently, such a phrase will function as RC [Ed. RC = "rhythmic constituent"]. In these instances, therefore, a rhythmic constituent is also a grammatical constituent. But the length of grammatical constituents varies considerably; some consist of a single word; sore are as short as two or three words, but some are quite long. Rhythm, therefore, becomes a particularly important element here. There are no set rules; rather, the permissible length of an RC is a matter of any one speaker's decision in any one speech situation. Sometimes speakers will allow a very long noun phrase to function RC. Other times, the same speakers will treat the same phrase differently. Either they will rephrase the sentence so as to place the long noun phrase in some other spot than the beginning, or they will adpot the speech model referred to here informally as "starting over".

For point 2, it seems that your informant "started over" with that somewhat longer RC of yours in using Na vrh planine Vodno nalazi se... rather than Na vrh planine Vodno se nalazi.... As far as I can tell, your version was just as grammatical. Alexander's examples support that.

Alexander, Ronnelle. “Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian. A Grammar with Sociolinguistic Commentary.” Madison, WI: 2006, p. 353 wrote:
Optional rhythmic constituents (RC's): long noun phrases
Amerika i Engleska ipak su otišle predaleko

Optional rhythmic constituents (RC's): "starting over" with a verb
Parametri za analizu tih problema videće se iz odgovarajućih tabela.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 27 of 292
18 January 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Chung, it is really interesting to get your perspective on this :)

I have to say that I really haven't seen many "live" examples of the "Moja je sestra
učiteljica" sort when reading in Croatian. Quite a few of the books I've been reading
recently have admittedly been Serbian translations, but I still read a fair number of
Croatian books last year and I think if they had been full of sentences like that I
would have noticed and started to absorb the style. I will keep an eye out for it in
future but my impression is definitely that a lot of speakers of 'Croatian' use the
so-called 'Eastern' style regardless of what is supposed to be correct Croatian.

Thank you for quoting the passage about optional rhythmic constituents too. That is
the sort of thing which went way over my head the first time I read Alexander's book,
but which I would definitely benefit from going back and studying in more detail now!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 28 of 292
18 January 2015 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Nema na čemu.

I have seen sentences with split adjective-noun phrases in Croatian Wikipedia and related discussions although I can't recall seeing it in dialogues of my textbooks or pedestrian material including Croatian comic strips. I should add that Croatian Wikipedia has had a problem with being dominated by nationalist editors and so it's not surprising that editors there would latch onto prescriptions that emphasize Croatian distinctiveness.

I regularly use the supposedly "Serbian" tendency, although it's about as "Serbian" as a plate of ćevapi. That is to say that not one native speaker of BCMS/SC can monopolize it or ascribe it just to "his/her" people without looking like a twit.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 29 of 292
19 January 2015 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I had missed the controversy about Croatian Wikipedia, but that sounds crazy!

I am quite tempted to change my language to 'Serbian' on Lang-8 next time I write
something and see what sort of corrections I get.

I got a second correction to my first sentence today from a different person:

"Sljedeći dan krenula sam istraživati Skoplje."

I guess this person has decided that "Sljedeći dan" is a long noun phrase and started
over again with "krenula". It's interesting to see how people can look at the same
sentence in different ways!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 30 of 292
22 January 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I've not had a very productive few days again! I've not had a very inspiring start to the TAC so far but it's not because I've lost enthusiasm but because I barely have time for anything except work at the moment. The next two weeks are probably going to be the worst out of my entire year, and then after that I hope to have time to start achieving a bit more, especially with Macedonian.

I had a 7am flight to Scotland this morning which was rather an early start but the upside was that a flight to Scotland really isn't long enough to do any productive work (it's about 50 minutes, half of which seems to be filled with taking off and landing, when computers have to be switched off) so I was able to indulge myself without feeling guilty and make some more progress with 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'.

I've read another 64 pages in total and I think I'm about halfway through now. I have to say that John le Carre isn't really inspiring me. I prefer my spy stories to feature guns and car chases and perhaps a few deaths. This one seems to revolve around retrieving filed documents from archives. So I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you're an accountant and find filing very exciting. I do have some colleagues who would probably find that an excellent theme for a novel :D

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 31 of 292
22 January 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
A quote from my Chief Financial Officer. "You know why people become accountants? They don't have enough personality to become undertakers."
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 32 of 292
22 January 2015 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I would hope I have a bit more personality than that :D But I definitely work with
some people who don't.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version