Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 217 of 292
19 June 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Thank you osoymar- I was indeed not understanding it properly!

I will investigate on Youtube but to be honest I think I would struggle to do that in
English, never mind in a language that I speak imperfectly!
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 218 of 292
19 June 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
www.glossika.com

Glossika is my main form of "study" at the moment. Since you're at an intermediate level it might not honestly
do that much for you in terms of learning - but if you're looking at something that gives you the audio plus text
for you to shadow to help with speaking practice then it will probably do the trick.

For someone who is an "advanced" beginner it's helpful as I pick up vocab in context and help me to
internalise certain sentence patterns and pick up on things that I wouldn't notice otherwise. For example, the
first thing I noticed is that the speaker when talking about possession, didn't really favour "tvoj" or "moj" but
rather "mi je" or "ti je" or in plural it would switch to "su ti" and "su mi". After speaking to some Serbs they
agreed that this is definitely the case and you would definitely say "gde su ti deca" instead of "gde su tvoja
deca" which would have been my initial inclination.

If you go to their site you can check out in a bit more detail what they're about if what they do suits you. I've
been doing it near 3 months now and I gotta say that while I like it, I think the next language I use them with
will probably be with a more intense and short approach rather than a relaxed and long one.

Thanks so much for explaining - I had genuinely never heard of this :) I have just been having a look on the website and I am seriously
tempted. I think they only have Serbian rather than Croatian... but that doesn't matter much. It says it goes up to B2 and it looks
like it would really help with the listening/speaking where I am weak... It is quite expensive though, so I am going to sleep on it and
see how I feel later!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 219 of 292
20 June 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Here the professor tells you how to do it.

Basically you are trying to repeat an audiobook for example as they read it, you read it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 220 of 292
20 June 2015 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
osoymar wrote:

[CD] This is an example phrase that you are meant to shadow. I am a big fan of this technique.
[You]                This is an example phrase that you are meant to shadow. I am a big fan of this technique.

TBH I generally aim to speak simultaneously with the recording. Of course, most of the time I'm probably behind anyway, especially if I don't know the content by heart.
The great thing is that you can do this while listening, when you already understand a lot and want to get more immersed/involved. In fact that's part of the full LR method, as originally presented by siomotteikiru. (listening to L2 while reading L1 or a parallel text is what's normally referred to as LR, but nobody claims that this will be enough to learn to speak or write)

(Silly example: you're watching Budva, Savo Bačić is frustrated and you just know he's about to say sve ti jebem, so when you hear sv... you say it with him XDDD No, I don't do this btw :D But yeah it can even be individual words and certainly phrases. Just anything that you want to taste on your tongue)

Pimsleur-style repetition is generally referred to as chorusing, I think - especially in a setting where the teacher says something and everyone repeats it.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 221 of 292
20 June 2015 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I tried watching that video and after 5 minutes I was getting really wound up by his
smugness. After 7 minutes I had to turn it off before I threw my laptop across the room!

I don't think this technique is for me :D

But at least I understand what it is now - thanks everyone!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 222 of 292
20 June 2015 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I've not watched that video myself tbh. Here's a 1-minute demonstration of how he does it. Although I think the part about doing it outdoors while walking is a personal choice/preference. It's not really an option for me when I feel like doing some shadowing at 3am in January, in my flat here in Moscow. Even in summer going outside from the 8th (7th) floor for 10 min of shadowing just kinda isn't worth it. Not to mention that I would feel embarrassed heh.

Edited by Serpent on 20 June 2015 at 8:35pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 223 of 292
21 June 2015 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I watched the 1-minute video and I think if I did that in Birmingham I would get
locked up :D

However, this discussion did prompt me to investigate exactly what Croatian audio I do
have on my computer, and I discovered that I have both the audio book and a pdf of the
text of "Dolina Straha" (The Valley of Fear) by Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm a big Sherlock
Holmes fan but this is one of the stories I know least well (I think I've probably
only read in twice in English) so listening to it in Croatian might be quite fun. I
listened to 44 minutes of it this evening anyway, following along with the text.

I watched an episode of 'Budva' this evening as well. Somehow with being on holiday I
had let it go nearly a month since I last watched an episode and I was racking my
brains without success this afternoon to try and remember what had been happening in
the last episode I had seen. I was quite shocked when I started watching today's
episode to be reminded that the previous episode had ended partway through a murder
attempt on a key character. I'm not quite sure how I forgot that and managed to go so
long without finding out what happened... It was an exciting episode anyway, which
also featured one of my least favourite characters returning to Budva and one of my
favourite characters pulling a gun. I think after watching this series I may be too
scared ever to go to Montenegro again ;)

The rest of this weekend has been dominated by family stuff, so that's all I've done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4378 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 224 of 292
23 June 2015 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I decided to give Glossika a go in the end. I don't think I have anything to lose and my speaking is pretty weak, so if it gives me more confidence with that it would be a bonus :) So far all I've managed to do is download it (that took ages!) and start reading the instructions. I am struggling to get my head around the difference between A/B/C files and the GSM vs GSR but I'm sure it will make sense once I start properly. The instructions said to listen to the first 1000 sentences once through before doing anything else, so I started doing that last night but began to fall asleep by sentence 200 :D I think I need to put them on my ipod and listen while going for a walk or something.

My first impression was that there are some errors. The first ebook starts by giving you some key words, eg. a long list of useful adjectives. Except it didn't strike me as a terribly useful list, because lots of the adjectives were given in the neuter form (without any explanation, as far as I could see, that that was the neuter form). I thought perhaps they'd done that on purpose so that you could use them as adverbs too, but then I found a separate list of adverbs so I got a bit confused.

Within the first few hundred sentences I was also surprised to find some sentences repeated several times ("Odakle si?" being one example). I'm not sure whether this is deliberate to reinforce something important or just an accident. I think I need to reread Basica's log for some Glossika tips :D

I went for the Serbian package and I'm glad I have because the sentences are written in Cyrillic first, then Latin, so I will be able to get some Cyrillic reading practice. I think I've got to the stage now where it doesn't really matter to me whether something is in Croatian or Serbian; I think I'll just try to say the sentences as if they were ijekavian even though they are obviously written/pronounced in an ekavian way.

I'm losing motivation with 'The Hobbit'. Fantasy isn't really my thing. I couldn't face reading any more of it on the train this morning so I started reading a pdf of 'Colloquial Croatian' instead.

A couple of people seem to be getting a lot of use out of my BCS course on Memrise and I'm starting to feel a bit guilty that I still haven't added the final four chapters of the book, although I promised someone I would do that ages ago. One person in particular keeps sending me messages with minor improvements and corrections which are really helpful, so I'm making small changes every day :)

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version