Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 89 of 292
16 March 2015 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
My (many!) errors have been corrected at Lang-8. I think lack of enthusiasm about this theme may have translated into a poor effort all round!

Corrected version as follows:

Quote:
Kada bih organizirao jedan tulum, kakav bi on bio?

Mrzim tulume. Introvert sam i ne volim biti u sobi punoj ljudi i gdje je preglasna muzika. Više volim biti doma čitati neku dobru knjigu. Ne mogu se
sjetiti jesam li ikada organizirala tulum ili nekakvu sličnu zabavu, i ne mogu se sjetiti razloga zbog kojeg bih to uradila.

Dok sam bila dijete, slavila sam rođendane, koji su bili dobri, jer sam kao dijete samo htjela dobiti poklone i jesti kolače, ali ne mogu misliti na tulum koga sam uživala otkada sam postala odrasla osoba.

Svake godine imamo božičnu zabavu na poslu, a ona je uvijek loša, barem meni. Alkohol je uvijek besplatan i zbog toga mi se čini da sve kolege namjerno previše piju. Volim i ja popiti besplatno vino, ali mislim da bi trebale postojati nekakve granice kada si s kolegama. To što mi najviše smeta je da se bez izuzetaka događa da neki kolegi koji su previše pili na zabavu zajedno spavaju tu noći. Možda sam staromodna, ali uopće ne razumijem zašto bih htjela spavati s kolegima. Najčešće su to oženjeni ljudi koji se tako ponašaju. Poznajem čak jednu ženu koja je razvedena zbog toga što je spavala sa šefom. Glupost!

Zato mi se takvi tulumi ne sviđaju. Kada bi ja organizirala tulum, onda bi on bio bez kolega,
bez bučne glazbe i bez besplatnog alkohola. Više volim male grupe ljudi, pa bih pozvala samo nekoliko osoba koje dobro poznajem. Sigurna sam da bi bilo kolača, jer kolač nije samo za djeca.

Not sure there are any positives I can take from that! Perhaps that some of the mistakes I don't think were actually mistakes as such; I've been reading a lot of Serbian recently and I keep accidentally using 'da' clauses instead of infinitives, which seems to be every Croatian's number one thing to correct.

I spent about another two hours writing on Sunday evening and have finished a first draft of my fairy tale for the March challenge. It's on paper at the moment so I'm not sure how long it is but I'm guessing about 2,000 words. I'll type it up this evening and then spend a few days editing it and trying to correct as many mistakes as possible, because I'm guessing that no one will correct something that lengthy on Lang-8.

Some good news is that on Saturday we spontaneously booked a short break to Prague for August bank holiday. I haven't been to Prague since 2009 and I'm extremely excited. Perhaps my May 6WC needs to be a Czech refresher!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 90 of 292
17 March 2015 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
I typed up the draft of my story last night and 2,000 words was a good guess, because
it actually came to 1,998 :)

It still needs a *lot* of work. Watch this space.

I saw an article on Twitter today about a drive to create new Croatian words for
English expressions working their way into the language. There's a new website called
Bolje je hrvatski which has suggestions for Croatian
translations like "razvojna tvrtka" for "start-up company". I don't know whether there
is a nationalist agenda behind this, but politics aside I much prefer when languages
have their own words for things rather than using English ones. I find it confusing
when seemingly English words crop up in other languages without necessarily having
quite the same meaning or being pronounced the same way as they would be in English
(eg. punk/pank!) :D

Edited by Radioclare on 17 March 2015 at 11:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 91 of 292
18 March 2015 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
The problem with those transliterations is always which accent they choose. If you speak
with a North American accent often the transliteration is different ;) Pank is a great
transliteration for North American speakers. Spelling it Punk (poonk) would just be
really weird. It corresponds closely to how I would pronounce the word.

But if you're from oop north then no cake for you when it comes to the transliterations,
that's right, lass...

Edited by tarvos on 18 March 2015 at 3:38am

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 92 of 292
18 March 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
:)

Transliterations definitely confuse me and that is possibly because I often have no idea how a North American would pronounce something. It's not necessarily always that though; I remember being very amused when I was in Italy and people were pronouncing Wi-Fi in a way which - to me - sounded like "whiffy" :)

I also find it very confusing how seemingly English words crop up in German with odd meanings. "Handy" (hendy!), "Beamer", "Old-timer"... One which I have heard used in Croatian too is "Mobbing"; it seems to have the same meaning in Croatian as in German (workplace bullying) but if I used in my workplace I don't think any of the native English speakers here would know what it meant.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 93 of 292
18 March 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
This is because Italians read I as the "ee" sound usually. Or actually something between
the "i" of pit and the y at the end of English words such as in "happy". I pronounce it
as such in Dutch too. :)

In North America, "o" like in "fox" often sounds like the "a" in "father". The "u" also
tends to have an a-ish quality to it. If you want, I can pronounce the words for you in
my North American accent and you can compare :) (I can also pronounce them in the UK way,
but then I sound like I'm from somewhere around London)

Edited by tarvos on 18 March 2015 at 4:11pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 94 of 292
19 March 2015 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
In North America, "o" like in "fox" often sounds like the "a" in "father". The "u" also
tends to have an a-ish quality to it. If you want, I can pronounce the words for you in my North American accent and you can
compare :) (I can also pronounce them in the UK way, but then I sound like I'm from somewhere around London)

I'm struggling to think of having heard an "o" that sounds like an "a" but I have definitely heard "a"s that sound like "o"s! The only
American thing I ever watch is wrestling and I remember years ago hearing the announcers talking about a guy whose name sounded like "Ted
Dee-bee-oss-ee" only to be very confused later when I found out his surname was spelled "DiBiase".

It would be fascinating to hear how you pronounce them. But I don't want to put you out!

This evening I finally finished reading "Чаробњак из Оза", which is a children's version of the "Wizard of Oz" and the second
children's book I've read in Cyrillic. I've got one more children's book to go before I tackle a proper novel. My reading speed
is still very slow, but it is starting to feel a lot easier now. I think mastering handwriting has really helped.

I also spent another hour tonight editing my fairy tale for the Output Challenge. I've got 700 words that I'm happy with now,
so about a third of the way through. I haven't got a lot on this weekend, so hopefully I'll make some significant progress with
it.

Edited by Radioclare on 19 March 2015 at 11:38pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 95 of 292
20 March 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
You can't put me out with that - I stand in front of a whiteboard every day and make the
silliest faces, I teach children English. Don't you worry about that :p

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 96 of 292
20 March 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I typed up the draft of my story last night and 2,000 words was a good guess, because
it actually came to 1,998 :)

It still needs a *lot* of work. Watch this space.

I saw an article on Twitter today about a drive to create new Croatian words for
English expressions working their way into the language. There's a new website called
Bolje je hrvatski which has suggestions for Croatian
translations like "razvojna tvrtka" for "start-up company". I don't know whether there
is a nationalist agenda behind this, but politics aside I much prefer when languages
have their own words for things rather than using English ones. I find it confusing
when seemingly English words crop up in other languages without necessarily having
quite the same meaning or being pronounced the same way as they would be in English
(eg. punk/pank!) :D

I'd say that there's a bit of a nationalist agenda, although it definitely isn't unique to Croats. See Language Reform and Croatian Linguistic Purism for a bit of background. I have mixed feelings about the place of foreign words or loanwords in any language. On one hand, I often get mildly annoyed when I see fellow native speakers use "je ne sais quoi", "verboten", "sans" or "summa summarum" for "indescribable"/"something special", "forbidden"/"not allowed", "without" or "in total". They just rub me the wrong way. On the other hand, terms such as "realpolitik", "candy", "et cetera", "special" don't engender the same annoyance even though they too are loanwords or outright foreign terms.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version