Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 33 of 46
02 February 2015 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Not much to report, just slogging away through all the information, especially the
polish as there are very few cognates, therefore all of the content is new and needs
time to sink in.

I am reading Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours and have currently read 33.4% of
the book.

since december 25 (my tac start date) ive logged 70.4 hours! not a bad effort, at this
rate,

70*12 is almost 850 hours! imagine that. It's almost impossible though. If i do infact
move to poland in july i expect to log over a thousand hours due to sheer exposure.

anyway, do zobaczenia!

1 person has voted this message useful

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 34 of 46
03 February 2015 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
The 6wc challenge is well underway now!

I wont be logging french until the end of the 6 weeks as my primary focus is polish.

Lesson 5.C and D are very very intense!

I've learnt the past and future tenses, or more so the compound future which is enough
of a brain melter for the time being since one uses the future "to be" and the past
participle of the desired verb:

example:

I want to go somewhere: Chcę gdzieś iść
I wanted to go somewhere: Chciałem gdzieś iść
I going to want to go somewhere: Będę (być - to be) chciał gdzieś iść

I am going: Idę
I went: Szedłem (m) Szłam (f)
I am going to go: będę szedł / będę szła

this language... omg hahaha

Edited by Straya on 18 February 2015 at 8:52am

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 35 of 46
08 February 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I feel like im making breakthroughs!

Ive almost learnt all the cases! its wild. Ive just finished with the instrumental.

6wc challenge is looking dismal so far, with a meagre 10 hours vs Pete's 35!

need to get my butt into gear and out of procrastination mode

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 36 of 46
10 February 2015 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Spent 3 hours going over the instrumental case (Narzędnik) with various verbs and
prepostitions. Saw the genentive case (Dopełniacz) in colloquial polish lesson 4 although
it was only a brief viewing

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 37 of 46
18 February 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
I feel its time to do a small recap of my time so far. Im not going to include
examples of what i've learnt although i will give a breif over view of the content.

Bascially, since the 25th of december, i have done a recap over the previous lessons
of first year polish (FYP) which was lessons 1-3. however i noticed just how lightly i
learnt them, or forgot them. After the review, i continued up to where I am now,
working on lesson 7, part A. I have also begun colloquial polish, AND read my first
polish novel using parallel texts and an audiobook, Harry Potter i Kamień
Filozoficzny.

So far; i can use the nominative, accusative, locative, instumental and vocative
cases, however when i say 'use' some would fall into the passive knowledge catagory,
rather than active. I have also scrathed the surface of the genetive case, because it
is so prominent within the polish language.

In relation to the study of verbs, wow, just wow. I have now learnt more about the
many types of verbs, including but not limited to; imperfective determinant and
imperfective indeterminant motion verbs;and the imperfective and perfective verbal
aspects, YIKES!

My vocabulary is slowly growing, as i present myself with comprehensible input
constantly. Harry potter is rather incomprehensible although i can remember quite a
bit, especially the slang and idiomatic expressions such as "nie bądż idiotem!", "no
dobra", and just generally lots of "no" meaning yeah, so or well.

My french has really become sad, because it doesnt get played with anymore, which is
not the worst thing in the world, I actually read an assimil story today so thats ok.

anyway, without going on too much, things have been very successful overall. I have
studied over 100 hours in total since the start of the TAC which im impressed with and
I hope i can reach a rather proficient level by the end of this year.

Więc, teraz idę.

Do zobaczenia i powodzenia!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5896 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 38 of 46
18 February 2015 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Congratulations Straya on passing the 100 hour mark, and reading your first Polish novel - as you say, that's impressive.
Keep chewing on that grammar! It may take a while, but eventually you'll digest it.

Tell me, what's with the move to Poland again? Is it long-term? Whereabouts are you going?

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 39 of 46
19 February 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Hi Mooby, thanks for dropping by, I actually wanted to ask you about something too!

Well it would be a move with my partner, who is a pole. Shes been in australia
studying and now shes heading home so i will be going with her, for an unspecified
amount of time. Shes from a small town, 30 minutes from warsaw so that would be our
hub most likely.

I will be sure to give you more updates as i find out, but at this state things are
only in the planning stage.

I viewed your log just recently, and you mentioned you wanted to think about the art
of small talk, I know that in English, I could talk all day about nothing, but when I
even think about having small conversations in polish I almost fall over.

My girlfriend isnt very helpful either, she likes to have very deep conversations,
even when it "should" just be small talk. Im relying on you Mooby! (no pressure) haha
:)

Powodzenia :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5896 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 40 of 46
19 February 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Don't rely on me - we'll both be doomed!
I can construct formal sentences that describe, state or request things (although not automatically yet). But these are mostly inappropriate for initial / fleeting interactions with people I meet in the shop or on the street, or at a party. I'm not great at small talk in my own language, but I can at least understand it.

In the coursebooks I have, I note from the dialoques how people express themselves casually. And look for them in TV shows like Samo Życie. Phrases like 'what of it?' / 'what's the big deal?' (no i co z tego?) for example crop up in exchanges between friends. Different expressions are used with strangers, and it's these I need to listen out for and copy as well.

Anyway, all the best with the move, and enjoy those deep conversations!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version