57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 46
17 January 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Where in AU are you? Lemme take a wild guess.... Alice
Springs? Perth? Wagga? Mildura?

you're keeping the bogan spirit alive Straya :)

Haha I wouldnt want you to try and keep guessing, im far more civalized than the
places you mentioned. Im from sydney and live along the gold coast (i seem to move
more than i stay in one place). The lake i would be HTLAL'ing from would be from my
parents along the tweed river :)

this link should work although i cant make them into urls because of my low post
count:

http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=6366&PN=3&TPN=1

@Jeffers it was a very wild ride, i can understand why you would have mental anguish,
having actually participated (if i can recall correctly), It was almost like a novel,
having read all 60-something pages

@S.mann Anything more than about 2-3 hours split up over the day seems to drain me
like nothing else. In contrast to the "strict instructions set, i always find i dont
want to read the same book twice, but explore literature i wouldnt otherwise be able
to. L3M (mousquetaires) is perhaps even a little long as after almost 10 hours of
audio i feel like i havent really gotten into the story, or perhaps i need a little
more action. Everything I have read has been with audio too.

I'm very excited to see your progress, hoping it is similar, if not even better than
mine

In this heat i think its only reasonable to take my surfboard out to snapper, and keep
on form because we've got 6 foot waves coming again this week, last weekend was
insanity!

Edited by Straya on 17 January 2015 at 2:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4800 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 46
17 January 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Hello, Straya!

Have a great year, I am looking forward to reading your log.

I've recently read Les Trois Musquetaires and it is a great choice for all the learners
at any level, I think. Much easier than many modern books, great story, awesomely writen.

I wish you lots of success with both languages and have fun :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 27 of 46
21 January 2015 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your kind words, Cavesa. I am looking forwrd to seeing to successfully
complete the french C2 ;)

unrelated to language learning, or perhaps not, is my 52 books in 52 weeks i do to
work on English and general learning. So far:

1.The hobbit - 3/5 (loved it until the ending had like 10 pages to wrap up everything)
2.Le petit prince 4/5 - talks a lot about the human condition in a unintrustive way
3.Mr Mercedes - 3.5/5 I enjoyed it but the actual narration used far too much slang to
describe things - ending kind of sucked
4.Five get into a fix - 2.5/5 childrens story my sister read overseas, there are like
30 in the series, wont read another
5.Five together again 2/5 not sure why i read this, took 2 hours anyhow. the dialogues
are just beyond moronic, and monotonous. (worse than the last) although it featured a
cute monkey and a chimpanzee
6. The old man an the sea 4.8/5
Les trois mousquetaires (25/62 chapters so far)
Voyage au centre de la terre (7/45 chapters)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 28 of 46
21 January 2015 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Straya wrote:

Haha I wouldnt want you to try and keep guessing, im far more civalized than the
places you mentioned. Im from sydney and live along the gold coast (i seem to move
more than i stay in one place). The lake i would be HTLAL'ing from would be from my
parents along the tweed river :)

In this heat i think its only reasonable to take my surfboard out to snapper, and keep
on form because we've got 6 foot waves coming again this week, last weekend was
insanity!

Ah quel beau temps là-bas à la Côte d'Or. Aujourd'hui il fait chaud ici aussi. Plus de 30 degrés je crois (à
l'ombre bien sûr). J'étais tellement stupide quand j'ai décidé d'aller faire du vélo juste après midi sur des
routes sur lesquelles il n'y avait presque pas d'ombre du tout. il faisait si chaud que mon portable s'est arrêté
de marcher et il y avait un message sur l'écran en français : "iPhone a besoin de refroidissement". Je sais
qu'il a fait beaucoup plus chaud la-bàs où tu habites.

Je dois dire que maintenant tu fais le sport qui se marie bien avec ton nom. Au passé quand je partais à
l'étranger la plupart des personnes qui m'ont demandé (pas beaucoup de personnes en réalité) de quel pays
je viens, pensaient que je faisais du surf (pusique tous les Australiens font ça, n'est-ce pas ?)
------------------------------------------------------
Ah what beautiful weather there on the Gold Coast. Today it's hot here too. More than 30 degrees I believe (in
the shade of course). I was so stupid when I decided to go cycling just after midday on roads on which there
was nearly no shade at all. It was so hot that my mobile phone stopped working and there was a message on
the screen in French: "iPhone needs cooling". I know it was a lot hotter there where you live.

I must say that now you now practise the sport that fits perfectly with your name. In the past when I would go
overseas most people who asked me (not a lot of people in reality) which country I come from, thought that I
did surfing (since all Australians do that, right?)

PM

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 29 of 46
21 January 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
@ PM Jaja gorąca pogoda! what hot weather!

Dupis la semaine précédent,, la température a été tres haute ici, et quelquefois, près
du 40 degrés! Ma petite amie avait suggéré que nous devirons faire du velo, ah ha ha!
No merci. J'avais protesté et en fin, nous sommes allés à la plage 'fingal head'.
Cependant, en ce moment il fait vent et le ciel est plein de nuages.

Since last week, the temperature has been very high here, and sometimes, close to 40
degrees! My girlfriend had suggested that we should go for a bike ride, hahaha, no
thanks. I had protested and finally, we went to the beach 'fingal head'. However, at
the moment it is windy and the sky is full of clouds.

I do indeed love surfing, i think its been around 16 years since i started :P although
here on the goldcoast there are hundreds of surfers competing for waves, lucky im
better ;)

My thanks for your translation of the goldcoast too, I'm adding it to anki as i type
this.

Any corrections are appreciated, friends, the time that took to write, you would
assume I had a lobotomy recently.

Nick (M)

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 30 of 46
24 January 2015 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
No real updates but continuous study. I've read 30/45 chapters of "Voyage au centre de
la
terre" now.

I signed up for a2/b1 alliance francaise, they gave me a questionnaire and im almost
certain i got 100%.

I learned the saying for "my two cents" in polish, "Moje trzy grosze" which literally
translates to 'my three peanuts'. Couldnt stop laughing when i read this.

anyhow, do zobaczenia!

edit: only google could translate that. its actually my three pennies ;(

Edited by Straya on 25 January 2015 at 2:41am

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 31 of 46
25 January 2015 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
While not having done too much study, i have done some, i've almost done 60 hours in
the
past 30 days which is certainly on target for 2 hours a day.

I have now finished część czwarta of first year polish and have read 38/45 chapters of
"Voyage au centre de la terre" which is mighty interesting!

The more than excellent news is that i am moving to poland in july this year, whoop
whoop, with my partner whom is a native pole, and has been studying in australia for
the
last 3 years ready to go home. I plan to continue on to france after that assuming i
can
continue to study french the whole time

Do jutra

Edited by Straya on 25 January 2015 at 10:43am

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 32 of 46
28 January 2015 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
1.The hobbit - 3/5 (loved it until the ending had like 10 pages to wrap up everything)
2.Le petit prince 4/5 - talks a lot about the human condition in a unintrustive way
3.Mr Mercedes - 3.5/5 I enjoyed it but the actual narration used far too much slang to
describe things - ending kind of sucked
4.Five get into a fix - 2.5/5 childrens story my sister read overseas, there are like
30 in the series, wont read another
5.Five together again 2/5 not sure why i read this, took 2 hours anyhow. the dialogues
are just beyond moronic, and monotonous. (worse than the last) although it featured a
cute monkey and a chimpanzee
6. The old man and the sea 4.5/5 very interesting, a story of persistence and learning
a valuable life lessons, that at the end of the day your victories are your memories
only, others never know, nor remember.
7. Voyage au centre de la terre 4/5 great novel, lots of vocabulary i didnt know,
because im not well versed in french scientific and geological jargon. very
interesting. loved all the descriptions of iceland and the centre of the earth. En
fin, tout est bien, qui finit bien. Une bonne histoire
8. Enders game 3.7-4/5 not a big scifi reader. My mate told me to read it because he
loved it. it has an interesting premise.
9. The hedgehog leaves home 5/5 this book was a children's story but honestly the
messages in the book were fantastic srs. not like its a real book but it really moved
me.

Je suis très heureux d'avoir fini le livre 'voyage au centre de la terre'. Il n'est
pas trop long mais il est très interessant bien sur! Les personnage principaux avaient
beaucoup de la chance, parce qu'ils ont été jetés du volcan, ensuite, ils n'ont pas
mourir!

I am very happy to have finished the book "the journey to the centre of the earth". It
wasnt long but it was very interesting of course. The main characters were very lucky
because they were shot from a volcano and then, they didnt die! (survived) !!

LEsson 5 of first year polish is mighty difficult learning about days of the week,
time, and more tenses! I dont want to start beccause its making my head hurt!

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version