Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 46
11 January 2015 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Today I had a look at a grammar book i own:

Grammaire Progressive Du Francais Avec 400 Exercices Niveau Debutant.

I decided to skim over it and went through all 63 chapters reading the notes although not
doing the exercises. It is important to recognise these grammar structures in my LR
method, in which i am reading "Les trois mousquetaires" I will start chapter 9 after i
have written this post.

I plan to finish FYP (First year polish) lesson 3 tomorrow evening! The current lesson is
filled with tons of information on the locative case!
1 person has voted this message useful

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 18 of 46
13 January 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I didnt finished the 3rd FYP lesson on time as i only spent 20 minutes yesterday doing
it because I was more taken with "Les trois mousquetairs". I read 2 chapters which
constitutes 36 pages of material.

My comprehension is improving steadily, evidently as i find more opportunities to
steal a glance at the french material without losing my place. It has also thouroughly
accquainted me with the past simple which is the literary version of the passé
composé. I do often get confused however because they use both "dit" and "Fit" to say
"said"

I Spent 1 hours 26 on FYP 3 and read the supplementary dialogues associated with the
lesson. I learned about the accusative case (Biernik) in 3.D. with sentences such as:

- Znam go (I know him)
-Czekam na niego (I am waiting for him)
-On skądś ją zna (He knows her from somewhere)

The accusative pronouns change dependings on whether the are following a pronoun or
not such as the pairs "go/niego; ją/nią; cię/ciebie(cię)"

I also was notified that I will be tutoring a class of 20 economic students next
semester! Today has been fantastic so far and it is only a mere 1pm!

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 19 of 46
13 January 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Hi Straya,

I didn't realise you were an Aussie (je n'ai pas fait attention) until redflag
mentioned it. I'm down in Melbourne myself (well on the fringe at least as I wanted to
escape the rate race somewhat). So good luck with your TAC 2015 and welcome to the
French team.

I found this part of the HTLAL inactive person's quote interesting:
"TESTING
   good for nothing
        it’s for teachers to make you believe they are necessary and they know better
        it’s for publishers to trick you into buying their books
        it’s for school authorities and politicians to make a living and control you,
and tell you what you should do and fear them "

I really like the way this person thinks! Still I am to sit more tests myself as a way
of setting goals and having some official recognition :) but I definitely think
that person is onto something there

PM

Edit: Removed Sooniye's name from quote above as not her.
Edit: It just dawned on me where your member name likely comes from.. I like it :) if that's what you're getting
at- so many ppl say it that way!

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 14 January 2015 at 1:43pm

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3408 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 

Message 20 of 46
16 January 2015 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
I thought I had replied to you PM, although perhaps this heat sent my brain into a
confused state, (close to 40 degrees in my house). If my computer was waterproof i
wouldnt hesitate to HTLAL'ing from the lake haha!

Yes the quote comes from a very interesting, and potentially mentally unstable person.
Check out this link below they were a member of this forum back in 2007 although
finally left after a string of bans for unkind commentary:

http://learnlangs.com/Listening-Reading_important_passages.h tm

They had mentioned the only learned these languages to high proficieny for the purpose
of reading books they loved, which in a way reminds me of profASAR.

I personally have no objection to learning with a teacher, as long as they are
qualified and native. I cant exactly prove im at a level of native proficiency by
reading a page of tolsoy in russian to the university's dean ;)

The name straya, is exactly as you observed, my aussie bogan spirit :P

Français
I have now read 20 chapters of "Les trois mousquetaires" and i have to tell you, from
reading a french word on the first page and losing my place, i can now find my place
in a chapter with relative ease. I can start the recording before ive got the document
up and have no trouble following along for the first minutes. THIS METHOD SERIOUSLY
WORKS

I dont want to speak badly of assimil because honestly its a great program but the
lessons to me seem far too stilted, although the different story types keep users
interested.

Polski
I have completed FYP3 and am now upto lesson 4. The lesson worked on revising the
locative and accusative cases (miejscownik i biernik). I have a fairly good grasp on
those however the grammar for the locative formation was not included so i only have
example to go off at this point.

There are just so many new words and phrases i need to spend more time on each section
before moving on

EDIT1: Hopefully my account stops being a newb one day and i can successfully post
links

POLISH (EDIT2): Ive analysed a short text or more so "intensively read it"

It was about two people named Krystyna and Paweł and their (ich) dog (pies) reks

Krystyna is great according to paweł, except she doesnt like (nie lubi) getting up
early (wcześnie wstawać) but on the other hand, Paweł likes (lubi) getting up early
(wcześnie wstawać) then they describe the dog and so on, he is noisy, cheerful and
active (hałaśliwy, wesoły i ruchliwy)

thats it for today, Straya out

Edited by Straya on 16 January 2015 at 7:42am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4700 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 21 of 46
16 January 2015 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Straya wrote:
Yes the quote comes from a very interesting, and potentially mentally unstable person. Check out this link below they were a member of this forum back in 2007 although finally left after a string of bans for unkind commentary:

When I read your quote I thought it sounded familiar, and it has that weird sort of unstructured flow and a strong whiff of paranoia. Then I realized that I had recognized from the link you just gave, which I read a few years back. I agree there is definitely some sort of instability lurking in the sidelines. And to respond to what s/he said: I think there's nothing inherently wrong with teachers, even non-native, and testing is a great idea. It is one way of finding out in an unbiased way if your methods are working for you. I got the feeling that that person didn't like the idea of their brilliant idea being put to the test.

Straya wrote:
The name straya, is exactly as you observed, my aussie bogan spirit :P

Okay, now that that can is open, someone needs to explain these worms.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 22 of 46
16 January 2015 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Straya wrote:
I thought I had replied to you PM, although perhaps this heat sent my brain into a
confused state, (close to 40 degrees in my house). If my computer was waterproof i
wouldnt hesitate to HTLAL'ing from the lake haha!

Where in AU are you? Lemme take a wild guess.... Alice Springs? Perth? Wagga? Mildura?

Straya wrote:

Yes the quote comes from a very interesting, and potentially mentally unstable person.
Check out this link below they were a member of this forum back in 2007 although
finally left after a string of bans for unkind commentary:

I couldnt access the link neither with copy and paste nor using Jeffers link (tnx for trying Jeffers). Good to see
you're keeping the bogan spirit alive Straya :)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4700 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 46
16 January 2015 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
I didn't attempt to fix the link, and I'm a little hesitant to be the one to give it out, because it is basically a wild melange of nonsense, obvious ideas, and a bit of a twist which became the L-R method as it's known on HTLAL. In the hands of balanced learners, L-R has been shown to be effective, but the originator makes it feel like a cult.

Anyway, here's the link:

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3429 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 24 of 46
16 January 2015 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi Straya,

I ran into the exact same stuff and it made me want to read Harry Potter that way, but I
don't think that particular book works for me. I suspect that "Les trois mousquetaires"
would have been better. I would love it if we could find/become case studies for how
L-R really works and be able to re-write it up in the wiki. I noticed a lot in the rhetoric
on the 'important passages' that was both a complete refusal to clarify how (s)he read
(like read a chapter and then re-read, read a book in a series and then re-read before
starting the next book, or read the entirety of À la recherche du temps perdu and
then start from the beginning again), and wanted to bludgeon everyone with the reason
that it wouldn't work for them is because they could concentrate fully on that for 14
hours a day for a week at a time. That, and I'm sure that the language and tone
coming across in the postings didn't come from reading David Copperfield.

For my part I will avoid reading French without narration until I can read faster than a
normal conversation pace - there are just so many benefits from pronunciation to tone.
I'm planning to pick this part of the project back up toward the end of the month, so I'll
be looking for your progress and feedback here. :)

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version