Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 33
14 March 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Now I'm done with the one week Skolt experiment, it was good. There's only so much that can be taught in one week but it was nice having a native speaker and I started making sense of it all little by little.
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 26 of 33
31 March 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Sigh, it's exam time so language learning is more or less in ice until something like June. Will resume as soon as possible.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 27 of 33
10 June 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Back in business! Today I've been studying;

Icelandic;
-L-R Mýrin chapter 17
-revising first five chapters of Allt í lagi

German;
-L-R Demian for a little while
-started Collins Easy Learning German Grammar to read it through

Also Russian conversation.

French in Action; episode 6

I feel that this is a rather good start.

Edited by Henkkles on 10 June 2014 at 4:22pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 28 of 33
11 September 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
I entirely forgot about this thing; however, I've not been sitting on my shanks all this time. Here's what's up:

I've had to postpone some language projects, and the active projects are now:

Russian
German
Icelandic
Swedish
Northern Saami
Estonian
Basque

I can only study until the end of the year, then it's entrance exam time again.

This is where I'm going with the projects I mentioned before:

Icelandic:
L-R Mýrin - Chapter 33/46
Right as I finish this (planning to do that next week) I'm going to start
Einar Kárason - Djöflaeyjan

German:
L-R Demian - Chapter 6/9
I plan to finish this one soon as well, after which I'm getting started on a new book and I'll also L-R Demian through again, but in much much larger portions and skipping the initial reading without audio.

New book:
Frank Schätzing - Der Schwarm (my library happened to happily have this book)

Russian:
I have to admit I took a break with Russian but I'm getting started on the real deal;

L-R Idiot
L-R Fate of a Man

I'm also looking to buy a Cyrillic keyboard to get started on learning to spell properly and to type Russian as this will make everything easier.

Sámi:
I'm working my way through the entire Cealkke dearvvuoðaid series, I just finished book 1/4 today. Doing some other stuff as well and looking for materials. Not that easy.

Estonian:
I have lots of stuff for Estonian but I have found absolutely zero things for L-R which is something I really need to do.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 29 of 33
11 September 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I always thought that at most you'd just shell out a bit for a keyboard overlay and change your keyboard settings to whatever language you want for free. I don't get the need to buy a Cyrillic keyboard. I usually set up my keyboard for Serbian Cyrillic when I need Cyrillic since it's basically a QWERTZ keyboard but with Cyrillic graphemes instead (e.g. I type 't' and 'u' and get 'т' and 'у' respectively in Serbian Cyrillic mode). For symbols not found in Serbian Cyrillic, I draw on the half dozen combinations of ALT and [insert four digit number typed on the number pad] as needed (I've memorized them by now). For example, when I need 'я' on a Serbian Cyrillic keyboard, I enter ALT 0255.

How did you find vol. 1 of "Cealkke dearvvuođaid"? I was thinking about buying the series when I saw it at Sámi Duodji ry in Inari, but chose "Davvin" instead despite its age.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4427 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 30 of 33
11 September 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
It seems the Serbian Cyrillic keyboard is quite simple to use, but I can't say the same for the Russian keyboard. When I type in Russian on my computer, I need to look all the time at a printout of a Russian keyboard to remind myself of where the different letters are. Sure, after a while you start remembering, but nevertheless it slows down the writing. I find it much easier on the iPad, because there I can change the keyboard and get Cyrillic with a simple touch. Anyway, thanks for the tip Chung, I will have a look at the Serbian keyboard to see if it can be of use for writing Russian as well.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 31 of 33
11 September 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
No problem. You could also look for a free add-on that maps the QWERTY keyboard as much as possible to Russian. For Ukrainian, I used this one on my old laptop which uses XP.

If you want to stick with the Serbian Cyrillic keyboard to type in Russian, you'll need to use the following ALT-combinations with the number pad to enter Russian symbols not found in Serbian Cyrillic.

Й ALT0201
Щ ALT0217
Ъ ALT0218
Ы ALT0219
Ь ALT0220
Э ALT0221
Ю ALT0222
Я ALT0223

й ALT0233
щ ALT0249
ъ ALT0250
ы ALT0251
ь ALT0252
э ALT0253
ю ALT0254
я ALT0255

It seems a little cumbersome with the combinations, but after a couple of hours of practice (usually when sending emails or even typing some of my homework assignments), it's not that time-consuming to use. I'm certainly used to the combinations now, and I've been lot more comfortable using the Serbian Cyrillic layout because of being wired for QWERTY and QWERTZ instead of the standard Russian or Ukrainian ones.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 32 of 33
11 September 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I always thought that at most you'd just shell out a bit for a keyboard overlay and change your keyboard settings to whatever language you want for free. I don't get the need to buy a Cyrillic keyboard. I usually set up my keyboard for Serbian Cyrillic when I need Cyrillic since it's basically a QWERTZ keyboard but with Cyrillic graphemes instead (e.g. I type 't' and 'u' and get 'т' and 'у' respectively in Serbian Cyrillic mode). For symbols not found in Serbian Cyrillic, I draw on the half dozen combinations of ALT and [insert four digit number typed on the number pad] as needed (I've memorized them by now). For example, when I need 'я' on a Serbian Cyrillic keyboard, I enter ALT 0255.

How did you find vol. 1 of "Cealkke dearvvuođaid"? I was thinking about buying the series when I saw it at Sámi Duodji ry in Inari, but chose "Davvin" instead despite its age.

My main keyboard is too expensive and nice to deface, besides a Cyrillic keyboard is just about 20€ so convenience for a relatively low price; why not. It does have the English keyboard overlay printed on it but the Cyrillic marks are more prevalent. I hate using alt codes when trying to do anything, Icelandic only necessitates three alt codes (disregarding capitals) and they're a pain to use.

Cealkke dearvvuođaid 1 and 2 are alright, but severely lacking. The vocabularies don't list nominatives nor infinitives (most of the time) but only translate the form used in the text. The grammatical presentation isn't the best out there but with something like this you've just got to get what you can.

I started researching this and apparently there's a tool Microsoft offers for creating completely custom keyboard layouts. It's called "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4", I'll play around with it to see what I come up with.

//Great, the aforementioned tool worked. It's a bit odd but it fits quite neatly in my Nordic keyboard, thanks for the idea, Chung.

Edited by Henkkles on 11 September 2014 at 11:36pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version