Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 33
20 January 2014 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I find it increasingly harder to fit all of these languages in any sort of a routine and that's why I'm looking into solutions as to how best to study all of these languages.

So currently I have nine languages that I study to varying intensities.

Russian:
-I've only been doing Russian in the form of homework and two one-and-a-half our lectures per week, but I'm looking into L-R once my bilingual book arrives of Dostoyevski's "Notes from the Underground".

German:
I've been devoting at least fifteen minutes but mostly half an hour to German every day in the form of reading two or more chapters of Living German every day. I'm not doing any exercises. Once I'm done with that I'm looking into the Berliner Platz-series which I'll read through and then move on to L-R, reading bilingual books and so on.

Icelandic:
I have two and a half hours of lectures every week, and besides that and homework I've tried to work on the various studybooks I have for Icelandic study, but about this read the last entry.

Swedish:
Doing three hours of lectures per week and that's about it besides the homework on that course, obviously. Not working very intensively, once I find a pocket of time I'll start reading the various novels I have in Swedish. See last entry for this also.

Now for the dreaded ones:
Spanish & French:
I haven't had time to do anything with either save for listening to Michel Thomas on my way to uni and all in all I am not making very much progress. I understand the Spanish tenses on a very rudimentary level now, however.

Estonian:
Steady progress with four hours of weekly instruction plus minimal self-study as of now. I want to start L-R with Estonian soon, but finding audiobooks is a pain.

Northern Saami:
Much like my Estonian, progressing but finding materials to study with is a big big problem.

*Skolt Saami:
Not doing much, my end goal is not to end up anywhere but it's interesting to learn of the history of the saami languages and compare the two.

It is incredibly difficult to juggle with an ever growing number of languages, as was the hypothesis all along. Very well, I will have to shelve some of these languages to await further study at some point, but for the time being you can still observe as I try to find any sort of solutions for maintaining the study of this heap.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 33
20 January 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
The number of languages you're studying is really impressive!

If you're primarily interested in reading German, have you considered studying a French Assimil course with a German base? I've found that, because of the English language's Germanic origins and heavy French influence, given a German-French parallel text I'm often able to figure out some unknown French words from the German, and some unknown German words from the French. They're quite fun to study simultaneously!

It might not be possible to study French 100% through German, but I've found using Assimil in different language bases has helped me compress my study time a lot and not feel like I have to make room to study each language individually. Not sure if you're German is already too high to see much benefit, but I thought I'd throw it out as an idea.

Best of luck, I look forward to seeing how you're studies progress, and perhaps I'll get some good suggestions on how to juggle multiple language studies at higher levels.

Edited by YnEoS on 20 January 2014 at 4:22pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 11 of 33
20 January 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Update to the German thing: seems like I'm not doing Berliner Platz, the library has misplaced their copy. After Living German I'll read through BBC's Deutsch Express and Deutsch Direkt.

Yes I'm big on triangulation but I can't really say that my French is on any level whatsoever so as to start studying any language FRENCH being the BASE one. If anything I'd study French via a German language book.

What I just did is I ordered four bilingual books (English and X) in Russian, German, French and Spanish and I'll start reading through them and looking for audio materials once they arrive. That and the odd studybook will suffice for me probably for the time I intend to study them. I'm afraid I'll have to shelve French as soon as I come home from France in April-May so as to leave more room for other endeavors.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 33
20 January 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, that's what I meant to say, using Assimil's German --> French courses like "Französisch ohne Mühe" and possibly later "Französisch in der Praxis" so you have French dialogs and French audio, with German translations and grammar notes.

Edited by YnEoS on 20 January 2014 at 5:40pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 13 of 33
20 January 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I misunderstood you, I beg þine pardon. Yes, that does sound like a compelling idea. I already have a German-based studybook for Icelandic. I guess that's what I'll have to do in order to keep my juggling afloat.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 14 of 33
27 January 2014 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
I guess it's time for an update.

So what have I been up to?
Russian:
Not much going on, sitting in class two times a week and then reading a little, but I'm thinking of starting L-R soon. I need to find more time to work with Russian but right now it's difficult.

German:
I'm at chapter 30/43 in Living German, then I'll do Deutsch Express! and Deutsch Direkt! and I'm going to try to L-R something, I bought a reader and I have Herman Hesse's Demian coming to me in the mail, bilingual edition. All I need to do is find an audiobook.

Icelandic:
I'm almost done with two of the multiple beginners' books I have, so that's good. I also found some more resources so should I persist I will eventually learn the language.

Swedish:
Not a lot happening, I'll get started with a book I have eventually. It's about how Swedish is the worst language so that'd be interesting.

Spanish:
I'm done with Michel Thomas and I'm going to pick up Living Spanish from the library today so I'll start doing that for maybe two chapters every day.

French:
I've been reading and listening to FSI reader "Le monde francophone" and I'm going to pick up Living French from the library any day now.

Estonian:
Not a lot happening on this front either, class two times a week and I don't have much that is interesting to work with at the moment. Haven't found anything to L-R because there are no audiobooks in Finland. I'll try to remedy that at some point.

Davvi:
I skimmed through Davvin 2 and I'm waiting for Davvin 3 to arrive. I'll also start working with Gulahalan 2 and we're working with Cealkke dearvvuoðaid in class two times a week. Doing some solid progress although it's only now that we're learning the rest of the basic conjugation due to ridiculous course planning. I also found something to L-R so I'll get to that during midterm in a month.

*Skolt:
I found out that we're having an intensive period for a week in which we'll have a native speaker instruct us for 16 hours during one week which is almost half of a work week. I'm looking forward to it, it's fun understanding sami languages, and the phonetics of skolt are nothing if not wonky.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 33
28 January 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm most curious how your experience with Skolt Saami turns out. The nearest I got to it was dabbling in Inari Saami almost two years ago. From what little I know of Skolt Saami, it seems a bit like Inari Saami with fewer similarities to Northern Saami.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4041 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 

Message 16 of 33
29 January 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I'm most curious how your experience with Skolt Saami turns out. The nearest I got to it was dabbling in Inari Saami almost two years ago. From what little I know of Skolt Saami, it seems a bit like Inari Saami with fewer similarities to Northern Saami.

Inari and Skolt are closest relatives I think. I would love to dabble in all sami languages at some point but I'll wait until my northern is strong enough I guess.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version