79 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 9 10 Next >>
fiolmattias
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
geocities.com/fiolmaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6484 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 79
23 March 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Sterogy wrote:

But he claims to reach a C1 level / become fluent in 3 months. I don't think that this
is possible.

Nope. Have you read more than the webpage title?
Quote from Benny reagarding his arabic studies:
"My initial aim back in September was B2+, which is where I feel fluency begins..." and
"Why my level is most likely a safe 'conversational' B1"

So while the webpage is called Fluent in 3 months, the text clearly shows that
he doesn't believe that C1 is possible in 3 months.
And according to DW, Cambridge, ACTFL & CEF, B1 is about 400hrs of study. 4-5 hrs/day
in 3 months.
So both Benny's claims and results are both what is expected from a dedicated learner.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4162 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 26 of 79
23 March 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
B1 is not fluent, sorry.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 27 of 79
23 March 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
B1 is not fluent, sorry.

So what!? That's exactly what Benny said. Have you read the last post at all? He said he believes that fluency begins at B2+ level. You're completely missing the point here.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4162 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 28 of 79
23 March 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
His slogan is "fluent in 3 months". And if B1 is not fluent and a B1 level is all you can attain within 3 months, what is this fluent in 3 months thing all about?

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 29 of 79
23 March 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
His slogan is "fluent in 3 months". And if B1 is not fluent and a B1 level is all you can attain within 3 months, what is this fluent in 3 months thing all about?

Quoting Benny himself:

"The point of the title of this site isn’t that I have a secret formula for fluency in 3 months, but that I challenge myself to get fluent in 3 months, or some other very specific target in the same spirit. This is what I hope many of you will get into yourselves! The reason it can “take years” to learn a language is not because it has to, but because you are not doing it intensively.

It’s the hours that truly matter, not the years.

If you set aside those three (or ideally, much more) hours per day this summer to really dive into your project, then you will make huge strides ahead!

Your challenge doesn’t have to be fluent in 3 months, and it doesn’t even have to be 3 months. Make it 2, or 6 – whatever you know is a short enough timespan to be something you see on the immediate horizon, and make your goal HIGH and ambitious. Try your damnedest to get it all the way to the end, remembering all those you promised that you would!

And if after those three months, you are “only” 80% successful, well then won’t that be something to be pretty damn proud of too! You’ll have definitely jumped up a level in your target language! The only way you can truly fail your mission is if you did not pour your heart and soul into it."

But anyway, like I said at the beginning, I don't want this thread to be another one about the 3 months thing. It was about the Arabic video/mission he'd updated.

What do you guys think about it? =)
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 30 of 79
23 March 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Three months refers to how long you can travel in a country (most of the time) without
a visa (or the length of a tourist visa should you need one), so it's the time he has
in country x to learn that language. It's a practical restriction. It has nothing to do
with claims.

@tiger

What Vlad is referring to with the words is the fact that you need to indeed learn
every single word from scratch (or rather, every character). However, Benny is not
talking about learning the words individually but how they stack together to make
complex vocabulary. That's something entirely different and thus they are both right.

Really, reading comprehension would not hurt.

Quote:
Well. If you wanted to learn say Korean. Would you rather take tips from someone
who majored in Korean literature and spent half their life in South Korea or someone
who learned a little bit of Korean in 5-6 months. Now both Benny and Vlad have learned
languages before tackling Mandarin, so there's no doubt they both have experience in
language learning.

The second. Why? I don't care about reading literature and I need something adapted to
my goals.

@Sterogyl

You said "it's not enough"

For what? This is important to address. In 6 months I won't speak perfect Arabic but
I'll be able to do a damn lot if I apply myself a bit. Whether that is B2, C1, or Pig-
aMoonie level is irrelevant. The point is progress and you can make a lot of it.

Benny is an ENGINEER that has worked as a translator on translating ENGINEERING and
TECHNICAL TEXTS from Spanish and French to English. So he speaks those languages for
sure.

Don't like his product, don't buy his shit and don't watch his videos.

Edited by tarvos on 23 March 2013 at 10:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 79
23 March 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Just a catchy name:(
also, I don't speak Mandarin but most members seem to agree that he was more an A2 than a B1 after three months.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 32 of 79
23 March 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
What intrigues me about the video is how much English-language inflection he still has
when he speaks. The words are there, but not the beats and rhythms of Arabic. I thought
that was a problem mostly with Americans!

(e.g., in Spanish we'll say "Buenos. Días. Señor" with too much enunciation as opposed
to "buenosdíasseñor")

Please note that this is an observation more than a critique (and his Arabic is further
along than mine ever was at any point) - I struggle with the same. I find that immersion
and confidence help overcome it, which is why it's a surprise to see Benny doing this
too!

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version