Congo
Joined 5864 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 9 of 79
19 March 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
He's having a whole series of minimissions, what's wrong with that?

nothing. it's just that it reminds me of Tim Ferris ("How to Learn (But Not Master) Any Language in 1 Hour (Plus: A Favor)") and his "deconstructing" propaganda. web traffic, that's all

Edited by tmp011007 on 19 March 2013 at 11:59pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 79
20 March 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Spending five hours on a language is just enough to get through the intro pages of a textbook and learn a few tourist phrases.

For example, my wife went through the Michel Thomas Spanish course on our flight from London to Miami to Costa Rica. Upon arrival, she could have very basic conversations, but would hardly have called it a mission and she would never claim to have "learned" Spanish in that time. It was just a fun way to pass a few hours.

I cannot see how it is worth blogging about, but then I presume I am not part of the target audience, and maybe some readers will get something valuable out of it.

Edited by Splog on 20 March 2013 at 10:06am

8 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 79
20 March 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I think his idea is to show that even survival shitty Polish is better than no Polish. And there's something to be said for that. But of course it's all placeholder stuff while he does OTHER, SECRET PROJECTS.

Registrador
Tetraglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: German, Czech

Message 12 of 79
21 March 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
C'mon don't be so harsh... Of course Benny is not going to learn polish in 5 hours, but this is going to be
a good challenge for showing people how useful is to know even a little of a foreign language. Language
learning is not a sacred endeavour, but a fun activity. I see nothing wrong with experimenting with it. In
my opinion, is going to be amusing see the results.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 79
21 March 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
MultipackCan wrote:
He's dropped languages previously though, Tagalog and Hungarian I
think. Probably a
couple of others as well. I haven't been following him for that long. But he is trying
to
make a living out of this so giving up language learning won't really serve him very
well
:p

Because it's also a social tool for him. He doesn't care about learning languages per
se, he just finds using them with other people enriching. He might enjoy learning
languages to some extent, but his abilities lie in being able to engineer his skills to
what he is trying to achieve in his life (travel, work effectively). I find that a much
more interesting concept than a polyglot who just learns to read 50 languages and likes
languages for languages sake. I find Benny quite inspiring in this sense, much more
than many other polyglots.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4162 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 14 of 79
23 March 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
He only wants to make money and tries to be popular. All the languages he speaks well (reportedly C2 or C1 level) he has studied for much longer than 3 months. What's the point in learning so many languages at a breakneck speed? You cannot learn Arabic in 3 months or 6 months. It takes years. Same with Chinese. In my opinion it all boils down to that: "Hey look, I speak this and that language and I know all the secret culture and knowledge that comes with it and you don't and now you must admire me and like me".

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5870 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 15 of 79
23 March 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
I think Benny´s strength lies not in language learning, but in his positivity. Some of his posts about people and culture are quite inspiring.
I realise some of his claims are improbable, like when he was learning Mandarin in 3 months(read "Watch how easily I learn a reportedly very difficult language in a very short time")and then after 3 months he said "In fact, this mission was only a prelude to my travel around China to discover it more deeply", or something like that, for which we should read ("actually, I have realised that this language is HARD, and no, I can´t become fluent in Mandarin in 3 months"). I think he also dropped Thai too.

I do enjoy reading about how he goes on in these destinations, many of which I am familiar with, but I think he should stop making these claims, because in making them, he loses credibility, like when he claims that he is mistaken for a native. If I can identify the obvious foreign accent in his Spanish and Portguese, I am sure natives can.

Anyway, rant (almost) over, fun blog, but ease up on the bogus claims.

Edited by gogglehead on 23 March 2013 at 4:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4144 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 79
23 March 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
[...] What's the point in learning so many languages at a breakneck speed?[...]

I think there is a point to this. The faster You get to the stage in which You can improve by reading
a book, article, listening to a podcast, and other enjoyable activities, the smaller is the probability
of failing, giving up. And the number of the languages learnt is just a matter of personal choice.
Though I think the premise of existence of the possibility of achieving fluency in such a short time
is just a marketing device.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version