Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 49
28 January 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
OK, so I was paying too little attention and about to start making too many assumptions too, and you just spared me asking a dumb question -- thanks again ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 28 January 2013 at 7:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 42 of 49
03 February 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Weekly summary

Finally, the first half of school ended and one week of holidays has arrived! :) Therefore, I'll have more time for
studying next week and I'm really looking forward to making more progress!

Spanish: I had one hour of conversations with a native speaker again as well as I learned more vocabulary and I
recessed the difference between "traer/llevar" and "venir/ir". In the course of my birthday this week I got two books
in Spanish :) , namely "La línea" and "Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal". I decided to start with the first one since I
already read it in English at the end of December.

Russian: Got a huge motivation boost and learned the irregular forms of the nominative plural. Intonation/stress is
still a problem. In addition I learned how to express the age and some questions related to that topic. In order to
do so I had to learn the dative pronouns.
I hope it will be easier to memorize Russian words soon, because currently I have to repeat them very often - I
think it's due to the fact that it is my first Slavic Russian and I have to get used to all the new structures.

Edited by Wort on 03 February 2013 at 11:20pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6415 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 43 of 49
04 February 2013 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

How nice to get such great presents!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 44 of 49
04 February 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
¡Felicidades, hombre! :)

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 

Message 45 of 49
04 February 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
@Brun Ugle: Thanks a lot! You're totally right, I also find them great! :)

@mrwarper: ¡Muchísimas gracias! :)

Today I repeated Spanish adverbs and I wonder if it was possible to substitute adverbs with the constructions "de
una manera +adjective"?

Esa vez lo hizo diferentemente. = Esa vez lo hizo de una manera diferente.

Is that right?

However, I suppose it isn't correct in all cases. For example: Ella canta muy bien. Ella canta de una manera muy
buena. (which sounds wrong to my ears, but I'm no native speaker).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 46 of 49
04 February 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
Today I repeated Spanish adverbs and I wonder if it was possible to substitute adverbs with the constructions "de una manera +adjective"?

Esa vez lo hizo diferentemente. = Esa vez lo hizo de una manera diferente.

Is that right?

Perfectly right; adv (adj.+mente) <-> de [un|una] modo|manera|forma + adj.
nearly 100% of the time (would have to think of counterexamples, none come to mind right now).

Also, it's a good idea not to abuse -mente adverbs.

Quote:
However, I suppose it isn't correct in all cases. For example: Ella canta muy bien. Ella canta de una manera muy buena. (which sounds wrong to my ears, but I'm no native speaker).

Yes, that one's a bit off. The reason is the same as it'd be in English, besides not really applying any 'adv = adj. +ending' conversion rule: converting from 'does X well' to 'does X in a good way' makes the phrase unspecific (why exactly is that way good, bad, or whatever?).

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 

Message 47 of 49
02 March 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
First summary

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult for me to study Russian on a regular basis due to its incredibly difficulty at the
beginning. I hope to improve in this aspect.

On the other side, my Spanish studies go really well I'd say. That means I have one Spanish lesson via skype a week
(in addition to my 3 weekly school classes, which aren't that useful, though), but I also write very much in Spanish
and try to read and expand my vocabulary as well.
Currently, I am trying to learn the subjuntivo de futuro (yes, I know it isn't common any more, however it is great to
know it, at least in my opinion).

Muchas gracias por tu respuesta que confirmó mi suposición. Sin embargo, para mí es un poco confuso el uso del
adverbio y el adjetivo porque a veces se tiende a sustituir el en rigor correcto adverbio (bueno, es decir según la
regla) con el adjetivo. A manera de ejemplo: Yo diría: "Por favor, habla más lentamente" Pero tengo la impresión de
que es más común decir "Por favor, habla más lento" (por cierto, tendría que decir "lenta" si hablara con una
mujer?).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 48 of 49
03 March 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
[...] para mí es un poco confuso el uso del adverbio y el adjetivo porque a veces se tiende a sustituir el en rigor correcto adverbio (bueno, es decir según la regla) con el adjetivo.[...]

Come on, it isn't all that bad. This is isn't English, after all! ;)

Quote:
... Yo diría: "Por favor, habla más lentamente" Pero tengo la impresión de que es más común decir "Por favor, habla más lento" (por cierto, tendría que decir "lenta" si hablara con una mujer?).

Of course not, you're modifying the verb, so no gender agreement to take into account whatsoever.

There are many adjectives that semantically overlap with adverbs, and apparently people just use the adjectives in those cases, because they make sense as verb modifiers, even if grammatical categories would hint to use adverbs instead. I've seen this in English and Spanish (quite less frequently) but I'm sure you'll see it all around if you pay close attention.

Whenever you see verb +adverb +adjective that's pretty much OK. You could of course say 'habla más lentamente' but that would sound kind of stuffy. You might even hear verb +adjective in some cases ("habla alto" comes to mind) but that grates my ears for the most part. As I said, it all comes from the overlapping.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version