Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 49
27 January 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Keep at it, Wort! I got my Grandma, a Spanish learner too, Harry Potter one for her
birthday; she says it's good!
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 34 of 49
27 January 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

And I do hear the difference after a "t. I do not hear the difference after an l, at
least I don't think I do, though
my teacher claims I pronounce it correctly, and I do not hear a difference after an "r".

The situation with L is special. Unlike other pairs of consonats, the hard L is marked,
it is always velarized and dental. So the Norwegian (as well as most other Ls) seem soft
to a Russian ear, although they are harder than the Russian soft L. Another thing is that
for л/ль all positions are strong. The hard L can appear before or after soft consonants,
and the soft L too. (BTW is it a soft L or the soft L?).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 35 of 49
28 January 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
(BTW is it a soft L or the soft L?)

Sorry, when to use the indeterminate, determinate, or no article is highly dependent on context -- there's no general answer ;(

Quote:
The situation with L is special. Unlike other pairs of consonats, the hard L is marked,
Could you please clarify what you mean by "marked" here?
Quote:
it is always velarized and dental. So the Norwegian (as well as most other Ls) seem soft to a Russian ear, although they are harder than the Russian soft L. Another thing is that for л/ль all positions are strong.

Idem here. What are "strong positions"?

Edited by mrwarper on 28 January 2013 at 1:30pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 36 of 49
28 January 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Марк wrote:
(BTW is it a soft L or the soft L?)

Sorry, when to use the indeterminate, determinate, or no article is highly dependent on
context -- there's no general answer ;(

Quote:
The situation with L is special. Unlike other pairs of consonats, the hard L is
marked,
Could you please clarify what you mean by "marked" here?
Quote:
it is always velarized and dental. So the Norwegian (as well as most other Ls)
seem soft to a Russian ear, although they are harder than the Russian soft L. Another
thing is that for л/ль all positions are strong.

Idem here. What are "strong positions"?

But here what article should I use?
"marked" means that an L is soft unless it is really hard (velarized), while most other
consonants are hard unless they are really palatalized.
"strong positions" means that both sounds can appear there. волна - вольна, волне -
вольнее.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 37 of 49
28 January 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
It's up to you which article you want to use in this case. If you say "the hard L" you're talking about the hard L in general. If you say "a hard L" you mean an arbitrary hard L. In your sentence there wouldn't be a change in meaning though, so you can use both.

EDIT: Interesting discussion, by the way!

Edited by Josquin on 28 January 2013 at 3:42pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 38 of 49
28 January 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
[...]But here what article should I use?

Sorry, I thought you meant 'in general' because as our German godfather Josquin promptly pointed out, either one will do in your post -- we might try and find differences in meaning if we change your phrase "the hard L" to "a hard L" or "hard Ls" but it'd be pretty much hair-splitting.

Quote:
"marked" means that an L is soft unless it is really hard (velarized), while most other consonants are hard unless they are really palatalized.

Invaluable, thanks a million!

Quote:
"strong positions" means that both sounds can appear there. волна - вольна, волне - вольнее.

Mmmh. So, if I understood it, ANY word that has an 'л' can also have an 'ль' instead (aren't there minimal word pairs where changing 'л' <-> 'ль' changes meaning?) but with other consonants, one of them is somehow not to be found in some positions? Could you give us an example?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 39 of 49
28 January 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
In Spanish at the beginning of words only the rr sound can be found, at the end - only
the r sound. These are weak positions for this pair of sounds. But between vowels both a
flap and a trill can be found (pero - perro). This a strong position for them. Any word
with an л could be pronounced with an ль instead, you are right. Of course there are
many words which are distinguished only by these sounds: стал (became) - сталь (steel),
лук - люк, лак - ляг and many others.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 40 of 49
28 January 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

Mmmh. So, if I understood it, ANY word that has an 'л' can also have an 'ль' instead
(aren't there minimal word pairs where changing 'л' <-> 'ль' changes meaning?) but with
other consonants, one of them is somehow not to be found in some positions? Could you
give us an example?

I have already given an example волна (wave) - вольна ((she) is free). Both sounds appear
before a consonant - in the weakest position for hard/soft consonants. One could not find
a soft labial in this position, for example. It also means that л is never assimilated
(and does not usually assimilate itself). In the word песня c is automatically soft
because of the soft н.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version