Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 49
19 January 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
@Cristina: Thanks for the encouragement! Actually, I learnt some Norwegian at the age of
14 taking some classes
due to my big interest for the marvelous landscape and the fascinating culture with all the myths and trolls but
at
that time I couldn't imagine learning a language by myself because I only had been learning English and Latin
before. The classes got incredibly expensive and so I stopped learning it. But I definitely want to restart it on
day -
it's only a matter of time. :)

Just a little question: How do you Russian learners manage to remember the correct spelling of the words. In
my
opinion it's extremely difficult because of the soft/hard signs.

What makes you think we manage to remember the correct spelling? :-)

I am not there by a long shot, I hate the merkisnak so much that had it been alive I would have shot it, but
what can you do? We just have to take the time it takes and be patient.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 26 of 49
19 January 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Imagine that the soft sign disappeared. You would have to remember the softness of a
sound by heart, it would be practically impossible, given you don't hear the difference.
We experience this problem with the word "good", I have recently found it is pronounced
with a different vowel than "hood". What about yotating vowels? Is it easy to remember
where to spell я, ё, ю after consonants?

Edited by Марк on 19 January 2013 at 5:34pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 27 of 49
19 January 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I just integrally remember the soft sign as part of the spelling of a word. I don't think
it's any less of a letter just because it's not pronounced per se (instead it modifies
the previous letter). That doesn't mean I always pronounce it correctly, but it's not any
more or less annoying than French diacritics or apostrophes in English.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 49
20 January 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
WRT Russian and remembering spellings, as Mark and the others have pointed out, if you understand why every letter is there (i.e. the sound/spelling system makes sense to you), it's easy. English is difficult in comparison and we still get by...

Wort wrote:
@mrwarper: [...] Gracias por tus correcciones. Me alegro muchísimo de que un nativo corrija mis errores.

You're welcome, but I'm a lot like 'someone's wrong? ON THE INTERNET? supercow al rescate!' ;)

Quote:
En cuanto a si mi objeto (aim?) es hablar de una manera española o latinoamericana he de decir que no lo sé. [...] quizás es mejor quedarse
neutral al principio antes de especializarse en un cierto dialecto.

It's not possible to stay neutral. You can do that wrt nuances such as *some* time tenses, etc. but you can't avoid pronouncing your 'c/z' and 's's as one or two different sounds. It shouldn't be difficult to learn, though, so you probably can adapt to the local variant on the spot without too much effort.

Quote:
[...] la r sigue difícil para mí... me
parece que debería practicar más.

Drop me a line when you come just in case I'm still around. A friend of mine stayed here for years and yet she couldn't master it, others made it click at some point, so don't stress too much about it.

Edited by mrwarper on 20 January 2013 at 12:30pm

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 29 of 49
20 January 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
January 20th 2013

Spanish: I studied new vocabulary as well as I repeated some words I had learnt before.

Russian: I repeated the phonetic rules and I tried to learn some new words which currently is incredibly difficult for
me - I don't know why but I think it's because Russian is my first Slavic language and therefore its structure is
completely new for me.

@mrwarper: Thanks, I will definitely do so.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 49
20 January 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Imagine that the soft sign disappeared. You would have to remember the softness of a
sound by heart, it would be practically impossible, given you don't hear the difference.
We experience this problem with the word "good", I have recently found it is pronounced
with a different vowel than "hood". What about yotating vowels? Is it easy to remember
where to spell я, ё, ю after consonants?

My problem is that every single time I see a merkisnak I see a b, as in boss. So first I have to mentally
remove the x#%+$xk letter from the word so I can figure out what the rest of the letters spell, and only then I
can actually read it. Besides Russian has so many things that makes it confusing to read anyway, that it
would actually be a big relief not to have it there. I see an e- how is it pronounced? Like the first or the second
e in Elena? No idea. I see a word with three o's. which ones are o and which ones are a - no idea, unless I
already know the word. Then there are the я or e which sometimes become i in my ears and the г which
becomes v or the B which is a v but which is sometimes pronounced like an f. Russian spelling is one
gigantic nightmare for someone with dyslexia. Had I not been so helplessly in love with the language I would
have dropped it in a heart beat.

And I do hear the difference after a "t. I do not hear the difference after an l, at least I don't think I do, though
my teacher claims I pronounce it correctly, and I do not hear a difference after an "r". Which of course makes
me have even less use for the merkisnak, as it mostly gives me information I cannot use :-)

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4354 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 31 of 49
20 January 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I do not hear the difference after an l, at least I don't think I do, though my teacher claims I pronounce it correctly, ...

This happened to me with many of the soft/hard consonant pairs when I was dabbling with Russian some years back. It was both hilarious and frustrating at the same time, and I still can't hear the difference when the sounds appear in words. The good news is you don't have to hear the difference to speak perfectly, and you seem to be doing just fine.

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 32 of 49
27 January 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Weekly Summary

Spanish: I learned some new vocabulary, read an article and had a bit more than an hour conversation with a native
speaker from Venezuela.
In addition I ordered the book "La línea" after I had read it in English as well as the Spanish Harry Potter "La piedra
filosofal". I'm looking forward to enjoy these books and to expand my vocabulary while having fun/getting
entertained.

Russian: I learned the plural (Nominative) of substantives. Generally, the rules aren't that difficult but the tricky
thing is that sometimes (or often - I still don't know) the intonation of the noun changes - currently I'm not sure
how to handle this big problem. It seems incredibly difficult.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version