sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 33 of 151
28 December 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Just dropping an update to let you know that I have not died. My epic move is finally - sort of - finished, and then there was Christmas so it's been a very busy time for me but things are finally settling down. Haven't done much in language learning the last two weeks.

I have watched some more Korean TV over the last few days. Episodes 39 and 40 of Running Man and episodes 9 and 10 of Heroes.

I also decided to start up some intensive reading again. I've tried the children's book thing before but I don't feel like reading through them again. I am going to alternate between The Forever War, A Game of Thrones and In Cold Blood. Books I really want to read in other languages. I know it'll be very slow at first, just 1 sentence a day most likely.

Today's was the first line of A Game of Thrones. I knew 2 of 6 words in the first sentence, and it had 3 grammar points I didn't recognize.

1) A/V-지요 (-죠 colloquial) - used to confirm or obtain agreement with the listener
2) -도록 하다 - used to suggest an action to someone.
3) -(으)니 - used to state a reason for something. The Beginner book has the entry as -(으)니까, but from what I can find, the two mean the same. I'm guessing that -(으)니 is colloquial.

1 and 3 are in Korean Grammar In Use Beginner, and 2 is in the Intermediate book. 1 and 2 were actually combined - 돌아가도록 하죠.

Anyway, for some odd reason I really like intensive reading, even if it does take me 20 minutes to read one line. I've always convinced myself to hold off on it; it isn't the best use of my time. But forget that. I've been wanting to read these books in Korean for a good long time and I'm going to now, even if it is just 1 sentence per day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Anno
Triglot
Israel
acquiringkorean.word
Joined 5428 days ago

29 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English, Korean, Dutch
Studies: Turkish, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 34 of 151
28 December 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Good luck on your Korean study!!

Edited by newyorkeric on 28 December 2012 at 2:52pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4667 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 35 of 151
28 December 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
Anyway, for some odd reason I really like intensive reading, even if it does take me 20 minutes to read one line. I've always convinced myself to hold off on it; it isn't the best use of my time. But forget that. I've been wanting to read these books in Korean for a good long time and I'm going to now, even if it is just 1 sentence per day.

If you get 3 new grammar patterns out of 20 minutes of study time and can remember them afterwards, I would say it's a very efficient use of your time. Good luck with your reading!

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 36 of 151
31 December 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm now finished the Half Super Challenge for Korean after watching several more Running Man episodes in the last few days to push me to 100 Korean "films".

Now that I have read it and looked it up, I hear the ending -죠 at least several times in every Running Man episode, so I think I've got that one down and won't be forgetting it.

I've been watching Running Man mostly for entertainment. I have thought of stopping the video and writing down all of the text that is displayed, but I know I won't stick to it because I don't want to stop the video. :) I may however go back to episodes I've already watched and do that. I feel like I'm missing great content by letting it go by.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 37 of 151
01 January 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
I've been watching Running Man mostly for entertainment. I have thought of stopping the video and writing down all of the text that is displayed, but I know I won't stick to it because I don't want to stop the video. :) I may however go back to episodes I've already watched and do that. I feel like I'm missing great content by letting it go by.

I had that same issue myself (where stopping the video to write down something that caught my attention disrupted my flow). My fix for that was to use screenshots instead. I watch videos using XBMC (on a dedicated machine) and the REC button on the remote maps to the screenshot function which snaps a screenshot and saves it to the "screenshot" folder (which you set under preferences. XBMC for Windows or Linux works similarly and maps to the PrintScreen button by default (overriding the OS's own screen shot functionality while XBMC is running).

So now if I see something I want to note, I just pause the video, hit REC, wait a second to make sure it saved, then hit PLAY again. Then later when it's time to feed new words into the SRS, I open the screenshot folder and start working through the images (then delete them after Anki syncs).

Edited by Warp3 on 01 January 2013 at 12:59am

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 38 of 151
01 January 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Great idea, thanks Warp. I'll give that a try.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 39 of 151
09 January 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
What I posted in the goals for 2013 thread:

"Goals

Korean: I have, in the past years, jumped from one language to another. This year, my goal, unless something major comes up, is to focus on Korean for all of 2013. My hit list of resources include Yonsei, Songang, all TTMIK levels and Korean Grammar In Use. I am currently on Yonsei 1, Sogang 1A, TTMIK level 3 and section 3 of Korean Grammar In Use Beginner.

I may also try to take the beginner level of TOPIK.

Chinese: Slowly work through ChinesePod.com Newbie lessons. I hope to be able to tackle ChinesePod Elementary level lessons by the end of the year.

Japanese: Slowly work through JapanesePod101.com Beginner lessons. I have already gone through the Newbie lessons a few times.

German: While I have decided to spend my time on Asian languages, I have put a considerable amount of time into German and don't want to lose it, so my goal is to review all I have done in the past regularly so I can maintain it.

Other Asian languages: Dabble in a few here and there. Right now I am learning the Bengali writing system and want to learn the writing systems for Hindi and Thai as well. "

Time for an update as I'm now finally getting back into daily study.

Current Progress in Korean resources
Korean Grammar In Use Beginner: did Chapter 3, Section 15 today (-(이)나, used to list options for nouns)
Yonsei Korean 1: on Chapter 3, will do first half of Chapter 4 tomorrow (out of 10)
Yonsei Reading 1: Yesterday I did readings #11 and #12 (out of 40)
Sogang Korean 1A: on Chapter 1 (5th section out of 11 total)

Not too far away from being halfway through my first level textbooks.

Intensive Reading: First 3 sentences of A Game of Thrones. The first sentence had 3 new grammar points for me, all of which I think I have down well after rereading the sentence almost every day for over a week. Plus, the -지요(-죠) ending is one I hear frequently while watching Running Man. The second sentence didn't have any new grammar, but it was a decent sized sentence (9 of 11 words unknown).

The 3rd sentence did have a new grammar point. the ending -ㄴ가요 (in the book, shortened to just -ㄴ가). It is used to politely ask a question. "Do the dead frighten you?" was the sentence. Which is the second time a variation of the word "dead" has shown up already (죽은) - the first as a past tense verb, and this time as a noun.

And as far as TV watching goes, it's been nothing but Running Man the last few weeks. I'm up to episode 68 now. It really hit its stride in the 30s and is now easily one of my favorite shows in any language.

Chinese: Have completed 7 Newbie ChinesePod.com lessons.
Japanese: Have completed up to Beginner Season 1, Episode 7.

Edited by sabotai on 09 January 2013 at 6:43am

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 40 of 151
16 January 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Korean Progress

Sogang 1A - half of Chapter 2
Yonsei 1 - Half of Chapter 4
Yonsei Reading - Up to #12
Korean Grammaer In Use - Up to 3.16

I haven't done all that much in the past week. Got side tracked with a few things that came up - jury duty being one.

Chinese Progress

No progress, still have only done 7 lessons.

Japanese Progress

I have made progress here. I have completed up to Lesson 12 of Beginner Season 1.

New Loot

After my jury duty on Tuesday (my only day), I went to Barnes&Noble to see what they had. Got a Korean Learner's Dictionary. I like "learner's dictionaries" because they typically include sample sentences. This one has well over 5k.

I also grabbed the new Living Language Chinese Complete. I was a bit worried that it would just be pinyin, but it used Chinese Characters (as well as pinyin) from the start.

I want to start doing a bit more in Japanese and Chinese. Not every day, but I want to try taking 1 or 2 days a month and devoting the entire day to Japanese or Chinese. Just give each language an injection of intensive study. For Chinese, I'd (re)do some Assimil Lessons and begin using LL Chinese. For Japanese, Assimil Japanese and perhaps some intensive reading.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version