forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 151
25 October 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Good luck with your Korean! I'm studying it too, I'm in level 4 on TTMIK now. I've never tried KoreanClass101 but I've heard their concept is similar to TTMIK so I'm wondering - is it worth it to do both? Aren't their lessons too similar?

From what I've read in past, TTMIK was created by former teachers from KoreanClass101. At the very least I do know that 최경은 was originally working with KC101 previously but left and became part of TTMIK.

Personally I've never used KC101, but I have used TTMIK quite a bit and find it very useful.

sabotai wrote:
Some episodes of Running Man I really like, some are a bit boring. Family Outing is just okay so far. Neither is nearly as good as Invincible Youth (season 1) was so far.

Those are 3 of my favorite Korean shows by far. Sadly, 청춘불패 2 isn't nearly as good thus far as season 1 was. I've also heard that 패밀리가 떴다 2 wasn't as good as season 1 (though I've never actually watched season 2, but it only lasted 15 episodes vs 85 for season 1, so something was obviously off with it).

Edited by Warp3 on 25 October 2012 at 2:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 10 of 151
26 October 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
From what I've read in past, TTMIK was created by former teachers from KoreanClass101. At the very least I do know that 최경은 was originally working with KC101 previously but left and became part of TTMIK.

Yes, 선현우 (who started TTMIK) and 최경은 both worked at KC101.

Quote:
Those are 3 of my favorite Korean shows by far. Sadly, 청춘불패 2 isn't nearly as good thus far as season 1 was. I've also heard that 패밀리가 떴다 2 wasn't as good as season 1 (though I've never actually watched season 2, but it only lasted 15 episodes vs 85 for season 1, so something was obviously off with it).

They changed 청춘불패 way too much in season 2. It was okay (but still not as good as S1), but they changed the format when it went from 8 girls to 6 and went from 3 MCs to just 1. I'm in the mid 20s of season 2 and right now it's nothing but games and punishments, which is why I pretty much stopped watching it.

런닝맨 was annoying me at times because I found the "Find the Thief" game pretty boring. One episode, I think they spent more than 30 minutes on it! The tea thing they did for a bit was lame too. Glad they stopped both. The 2 episodes I watched today (episodes 15 and 16) were great.

Edited by sabotai on 26 October 2012 at 7:07am

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 11 of 151
26 October 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
October 24-25, 2011
Did chapter 1 of GANADA, chapter 2 of Active Korean (Chapter 1 was Hangul), and chapter 1 of Integrated Korean Beginner 1 (B1). All of them were the standard "Hello", "Good bye", "My name is..." stuff so they just needed a quick read through and I added their dialogs to my playlist.

Watched Running Man episodes 15 and 16.

I also used the vocab lists from those chapters to make ~20 sentences for HaruKorean.

I looked ahead to Level 3 of TTMIK, and it seems like a bit of a leap in difficulty from Level 2, so I'm going to take a few weeks off, instead of just 1, from TTMIK (don't want to get too far ahead) and keep making sentences using new vocab from other resources. I want to really solidify Levels 1 and 2 of TTMIK before I move on to level 3.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 12 of 151
27 October 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
Yes, 선현우 (who started TTMIK) and 최경은 both worked at KC101.

I thought he was, but I wasn't sure.

Quote:
They changed 청춘불패 way too much in season 2. It was okay (but still not as good as S1), but they changed the format when it went from 8 girls to 6 and went from 3 MCs to just 1. I'm in the mid 20s of season 2 and right now it's nothing but games and punishments, which is why I pretty much stopped watching it.

I was confused by you saying 6 and 1 until I realized where you said you are currently in the episode count. They are really more at 5 and 3 now. They added Shinyoung as an MC (though you should already be past that point) plus some other lady whose name I can't recall (not long ago when they switched the format even more to some "청춘민박 / Bed and Breakfast" BS), and not too far after where you are watching Sunny leaves. Speaking of the B&B format, it makes me long for the crock game. The crock game seemed somewhat out of place, especially compared to the format of season 1, but at least that was fun to watch. {sigh}

At least in season 1 when 3 members of G7 left they added 3 members back into the lineup. In season 2 they've dropped from G8 to G6 to G5 and don't seem to be in a hurry to make that count climb again.

I suspect that their ratings are slipping and fear that this series isn't going to last much longer.

Quote:
런닝맨 was annoying me at times because I found the "Find the Thief" game pretty boring. One episode, I think they spent more than 30 minutes on it! The tea thing they did for a bit was lame too. Glad they stopped both. The 2 episodes I watched today (episodes 15 and 16) were great.

Running Man had a few misfires early on, but has gotten progressively better over time (in my opinion, anyway) and is by far my favorite show now. One of my favorites, which I just watched again the other day, is episode 82 featuring 이다해 as the guest and is (IMO) utterly hilarious.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 13 of 151
28 October 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Right, I forgot about Shinyoung joining. And I figured the show would get even worse after Sunny left.   When I saw they went down to 5 girls without replacing any of them, I wondered what they were going to do with them. Doesn't sound promising but I'll keep at it for awhile.

Running Man getting better over time is what others have told me as well.

In other news, I'm getting ready to move, so this weekend I haven't done anything, and next weekend I probably won't get much done either as I get everything ready.

Edited by sabotai on 28 October 2012 at 5:46am

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 14 of 151
01 November 2012 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
October 26-31, 2012
Studied: Colloquial Korean Chapter 3
Studied: KoreanClass101 Newbie S3 9-14
Watched Running Man episodes 17-22 and Family Outing S1 5-6

Missed a few days getting ready to move and will likely miss a few more soon. Tomorrow starts a few challenges. Signed up for Korean for the 6 Week Challenge, Chinese for the Assimil Challenge, I'm doing my own TY Challenge for Bengali and I'm doing a bit of Japanese every day to keep that from atrophying. Mostly just reviewing JapanesePod101 Newbie dialogs and sentences.

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4218 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2, Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 151
01 November 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Hi sabotai! You seem to be doing the Assimil Chinese challenge along with me. I am amazed
and at the same time worried about the amount of languages you are taking at the moment.
What a privileged mind! Keep in touch

sabotai
United States
Joined 5681 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 16 of 151
02 November 2012 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I have a lot of free time (most days). And we'll see how this goes. I probably wouldn't take on more languages if the idea behind the Assimil Challenge wasn't to keep it within 20-30 minutes a day, though. Good luck to you!

November 1st, 2012
Assimil Challenge: Chinese With Ease Lesson 1 - 20 minutes. Very simple lesson, just giving the very basic sentence structures. The longest sentence is 3 words long. The audio was (very!) unnaturally slow, but it'll pick up rather quickly.

Teach Yourself: TY Bengali. The TY Bengali book is set up a bit differently than most TY products. It starts off with a long section for teaching the writing (13 chapters - 60 pages). I did chapter 1 today, minus the writing exercises which I'll be doing over the next few days. 20 minutes spent on it. One of the reasons I've become so interested in Asian languages are the various writing systems and I love Bengali writing.

(Part 2 of TY Bengali is the standard TY style lessons, and Part 3 is several reading based lessons)

Korean - Studied: Yonsei 1 Lessons 1.3 to 1.5 (finish off chapter 1)
And as always, listened to a bunch of dialogs and read my sentences.

Also got a few more books. One is a book on TOPIK: Beginner. Not sure if I'll ever take the test, but I was curious as to what it was like so I picked that up. The other two books I got recently were Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner and Korean Grammar In Use: Intermediate.

Unlike most language learners (it seems), I like reading about grammar. But I don't like those long, dry grammar books. I like the ones that give grammar with a bit of style. One of the books that helped my German a lot in the beginning was 1001 Pitfalls In German. Unlike the massive German grammar book I had, it provided easily understandable explanations with simple sample sentences. For Japanese, I really like the Japanese In Mangaland series as well as the 3 books series Dictionary of Japanese Grammar (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced).

I've been looking for a long time for Korean grammar books that I liked and I finally found them. Here's the basic structure of the Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner book: Each chapter is 1 grammar point. It starts off with a few example sentences (as well as audio for the sentences), then is gives an explanation for the grammar point including tables, sample sentences, etc. A few very short dialogs using the grammar point (with audio) are then provided followed by some exercises and further explanation. Each chapter is about 3-4 pages long. The Intermediate book is set up the same way with 1 grammar point per chapter, but the chapter is a bit different (for example, instead of providing a few short dialogs, you go through a dialog building exercise (with audio provided)).

A few negatives could be that the books do not teach the Hangul nor do they provide romanization. I already know Hangul well and don't need romanization, so that's not a problem for me. But for the absolute beginner, you're going to need to learn Hangul and be comfortable with it before using these books. Also, while they use short, simple sentences at first, some vocabulary knowledge before using them will be very helpful as there is is no dictionary or glossary provided. And I would have preferred 1 6-line dialog rather than 3 2-line dialogs for the dialog section of each chapter, but it's still better than no dialog section at all.

Anyway, they look good and I'm going to start using them soon.

Edited by sabotai on 02 November 2012 at 5:32am

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version