Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 33 of 37
29 October 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I too am a Londoner, have a comprehensive school education (so not upper class and
presumably not 'educated') and like Glarus Girl and Michaelyus use 'shall' in both
polite request form (shall we go shopping?) and in the future tense (I shall do it
tomorrow). I also use 'will' for the future tense interchangeably with 'shall' (I will
do it tomorrow).

I am quite surprised that non-native speakers find it archaic or stuffy, because, as I
far as I know/hear, it is pretty much in normal usage in every day speech in South
Eastern England, which (as those who live elsewhere in the UK endlessly complain :-)) is
the version of English most heard on radio and television.    

Edited by Elexi on 29 October 2012 at 3:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 34 of 37
30 October 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I too am a Londoner, have a comprehensive school education (so not upper class and
presumably not 'educated') and like Glarus Girl and Michaelyus use 'shall' in both
polite request form (shall we go shopping?) and in the future tense (I shall do it
tomorrow).

Thank you, Elexi, for pointing that out. As a lifelong ESL learner I am glad to learn from a native speaker
that "shall" as a future form is neither old-fashioned nor, necessarily, posh but perhaps more widespread
in the south of England than in other parts of the UK.

Here is another quotation by grammarian Michael Swan: "Some British people use I shall and we shall
instead of I/we will, with no difference of meaning in most situations ... Shall is unusual in American
English in most situations."

He seems to agree with you in that he avoids any class/education connotation. However, I have to admit
that I am still unsure about P.D. James.    

Edited by Betjeman on 30 October 2012 at 11:41am

Jt00
United States
Joined 4326 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, French

Message 35 of 37
31 October 2012 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Here in Alabama, we hardly ever use "shall" unless we're referring to a Bible verse from an old version like the King James version, or unless we're being sarcastically dramatic. I've heard some people say "shall" in everyday speech, but they don't usually speak that way.
E.g. instead of, "Shall we go to the mall?" we say "Are we going to the mall?" or "Should we go to the mall?"

Or, "He shall smite the wicked..."

Or (sarcastically), "Oh, no! I shall drown!"

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 36 of 37
31 October 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I think it is the case of tomato - tomatoe - potato - potatoe - and modern grammar books
regularly use US English as the standard to compare other varieties of English with.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4255 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 37 of 37
01 November 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
We have to remember how grammar rules and syntax started to be fixed into European
languages a few hundred years ago with the invention of the printing press. Originally
people would spell words all sorts of different ways since documents needed to be hand
copied. Once printing was invented, people started to standardize spellings. Even word
that doesn't sound the way it is written got into the language.

And then there is American English. Being separate from the British they started
changing a few word spellings including dropping "u" in words like colour, labour,
neighbour, etc. Originally a number of English words came from French like manoeuvre
became maneuver in American English. And then you have names that are written 1 way and
pronounce another like Salisbury like "Salsbury", Gloucester like "Glouster", Leicester
like "Lester" with the middle part silence and Sussex like "Sussix". And the name of
the US state Arkansas like "Arkansaw".

Lastly we have short-hands for texting that people still consider improper for writing
but are frequently used like "C U later" instead of "see you later" and "4 U" instead
of "for you".

Edited by shk00design on 01 November 2012 at 11:46pm

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version