Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 37
17 October 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Anybody else heard of the rule that "shall" is supposed to be used in the first person while "will" is for the second and third?

I learned this rule almost 30 years ago, in Czechoslovakia. We did learn British English from people who didn't have a lot of contact with English speaking natives. One of my teachers did visit Britain few times for short stays but she was an exception.

I suspect that this rule could be true in the 40's, when the last free travel to Britain from Czechoslovakia was possible and, when I learned it in the beginning of 80's, it was already slightly dated.

I left lapse my English almost completely (only passive knowledge remained) and took part in a weekend course about 10 or 15 years ago. I was surprised that this rule wasn't taught any more.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 18 of 37
17 October 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Certainly Winston Churchill must have known the rule when he said:
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 37
17 October 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Of course it turns out there's already a Language Log post about it.

Quoting Arnold Zwicky quoting the MWDEU (which I'm guessing without googling is the "Momething Womething Dictionary of English Usage"):

Quote:
Our conclusion is that the traditional rules about shall and will do not appear to have described real usage of these words very precisely at any time, although there is no question that they do describe the usage of some people some of the time and that they are more applicable in England than elsewhere.

Edited by Ari on 17 October 2012 at 12:53pm

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 20 of 37
20 October 2012 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
beano wrote:
We have other peculiarities, eg "should have went" is VERY
commonly heard up here.

newyorkeric wrote:
This is really common where I grew up as well. It's so common, in
fact, it was several years after I left until I realized it was incorrect.

As far as I am concerned it is correct in Scotland.

I live in Nova Scotia (New Scotland), and I hear and say these words all the time. I had
no idea that they're incorrect.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 21 of 37
20 October 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
About the "I will" and "I shall", the new, friendlier Google Ngrams can help us here.

"I will" vs. "I shall" in British English

We can see clearly that "I will" was traditionally the commonest by far in the 1600s, with "I shall" gaining ground. After about 1680 they seem to be both used, though "I shall" very rarely outperforms "I will". After the 1980s it seems "I shall" is disappearing, though slowly.

I suspect the 1600s data is the way it is because of the word "to will" was still being used to mean "to want". So it seems for the most part both have been correct, though "I will" has been slightly more common in most times.

"I will" vs. "I shall" in American English

In American English the corpus fluctuates a lot more in the early days, I'm assuming because of smaller data sets. Even cutting off at 1700 gives a lot of ups and downs, but we can clearly see that from at least 1790, "I will" has had a clear lead on "I shall", a gap which has never been closed.

Looking at the second pronoun, though, gives me that "you shall" has been very rare in comparison, so it should maybe be avoided in non-emphatic statements if you want a conservative style, I guess.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 22 of 37
20 October 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
'Shall' is often used to suggest something, as a polite question.
For example:
'Shall I open the window?' (rather than: 'Will I open the window?')
'It's a lovely day, shall we go for a walk?'

'Shall' can also be used to emphasise an intention instead of the word 'will'.
For example:
'We shall fight on the beaches.....' as Winston Churchill said.

Also, 'shall' is more commonly used in the first person ('I') or persons ('We').

2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 37
20 October 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
beano wrote:
We have other peculiarities, eg "should have went" is VERY commonly heard up here.

newyorkeric wrote:
This is really common where I grew up as well. It's so common, in fact, it was several years after I left until I realized it was incorrect.

Normally, I believe that the way people say things is the right way. In this case, though, I made myself stop saying it in order to not come across as a dolt. It's similiar to writing its for it's or there for they're or their. People do it commonly and yet you will be judged on it.

Edited by newyorkeric on 20 October 2012 at 4:05pm

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 37
20 October 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Iversen wrote:
beano wrote:
We have other peculiarities, eg "should have went" is VERY commonly heard up here.

newyorkeric wrote:
This is really common where I grew up as well. It's so common, in fact, it was several years after I left until I realized it was incorrect.

Normally, I believe that the way people say things is the right way. In this case, though, I made myself stop saying it in order to not come across as a dolt. It's similiar to writing its for it's or there for they're or their. People do it commonly and yet you will be judged on it.

It's not quite the same. You have quoted common punctuation and spelling mistakes. The phrase "should have went" employs a different past participle than the written norm. Yet there are parts of the English-speaking world where you will hear this phrase spoken by people across the board, many of whom do not consider themselves dolts.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version