tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 33
29 September 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I think that anyone who thinks atheists can't say "bless you" when someone sneezes has a very weird view of atheism.

I personally feel uncomfortable with phrases that directly refer to a deity, at least in German. Basically, because those phrases trigger as response the same phrase in a reversed situation.
Those rituals of exchanging set phrases are a way of creating bonds, but they also are a social control mechanism. I'm willing to participate in the game to a certain extent, to create an atmosphere in a group that makes it easy to interact with each other, but I'm not willing to subscribe to things I disagree with, just to keep the peace. Invoking deities is just one of those things. I'm okay with phrases that let everybody fill in their own agent, even when they originate from a certain religion. So, 'bless you' would be alright with me, 'god bless you' wouldn't.

But there are people who do not want to strengthen interaction patterns that originate from religious social control, even if most people using them are neither aware of the origin nor feel controlled by them.

Edited by Bao on 29 September 2012 at 10:39pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 18 of 33
01 October 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
It's not exclusively western; Turks say "Çok yaşa" when someone sneezes which means "Live long". Also there is a response phrase; the person who sneezed says "sen de gör" in response. Which means "You see it too" meaning i hope you see that i lived long. I think it's a secular "god bless you" if not atheist.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 19 of 33
01 October 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 

Quote:

What is the atheist equivalent of "bless you" when someone sneezes?

Gesundheit! When I was a child in the US, this is what I was taught to say when someone sneezed. I heard it as "gazoontite" and assumed it was a nonsense word. As an adult I realised it is German: gesund is related to English "sound" (as in safe and sound) and means healthy; heit is equivalent to our suffix –hood, so gesundheit means healthiness, or health.

The response to a sneeze in many languages means "health" or "to your health". In Spanish it is ¡salud!, which is fun to say because it has the same rhythm as achoo! However, I would suggest "wassail", from the Old English wes hal, which means be hale: be healthy!

Hannah Bailey, Oxford

Actually, in Spain most people seem to say "Jesús" rather than "Salud", so certainly a religious connotation there. And "Jesús" pronounced emphatically sounds very much like a sneeze.

Apparently, in the Middle Ages people thought that sneezing could be fatal, as life was supposed to be tied to one's breath, so a blessing seemed to be an adequate reply.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5399 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 20 of 33
03 October 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I have heard that in times when the church held much greater sway ( commonly known as the dark ages for
obvious reasons) people thought that the soul was expelled from the body during a sneeze. Saying bless you
was an antidote to this. I still say bless you just in case they were right. Lets face it, Christianity has
been.....um....well...right before? I have, however, taken to exclaiming " oh my science!" when I'm surprised.

As much as I love studying other languages, I am most pleased to have English as my mother tongue. And
part of what I love about English are the leftover sayings from times past, like little historical markers on our
language's DNA. Who cares if they originate from more superstitious times? It has only been the last few
generations that most of us have been able to look at the world through any other framework than a religious
one anyway, so its no surprise that our language is peppered with superstitious little sayings like bless you. I
say let's keep them. They add to the richness of our beautiful language.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 21 of 33
03 October 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Eumaeus wrote:

As much as I love studying other languages, I am most pleased to have English as my
mother tongue. And part of what I love about English are the leftover sayings from times
past, like little historical markers on our language's DNA.

English really isn't unique in this respect. It's happened throughout history. Consider
Spanish's "ojalá" or Italian's "magari". They both came to their respective languages
via other contact languages with heavy religious connotations, and now have no religious
basis for their usage.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5399 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 22 of 33
03 October 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
You are completely correct of course hrhenry. I didn't mean to suggest that English was unique in this way.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4496 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 23 of 33
04 October 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Presidio wrote:
I feel sorry for Atheists.

No one to talk to during sex.

When you need to talk to someone during sex, you're doing it wrong.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 24 of 33
04 October 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Presidio wrote:
I feel sorry for Atheists.

No one to talk to during sex.

When you need to talk to someone during sex, you're doing it wrong.

I think you didn't get the joke here.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version