Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 33
28 September 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
The Guardian "Notes and Queries Column" is often a magnet for daft questions and even dafter answers, but I quite liked one answer to this question (it's actually the 2nd question down in this article)

Guardian Notes and Queries 26.09.12

Quote:

What is the atheist equivalent of "bless you" when someone sneezes?

Gesundheit! When I was a child in the US, this is what I was taught to say when someone sneezed. I heard it as "gazoontite" and assumed it was a nonsense word. As an adult I realised it is German: gesund is related to English "sound" (as in safe and sound) and means healthy; heit is equivalent to our suffix –hood, so gesundheit means healthiness, or health.

The response to a sneeze in many languages means "health" or "to your health". In Spanish it is ¡salud!, which is fun to say because it has the same rhythm as achoo! However, I would suggest "wassail", from the Old English wes hal, which means be hale: be healthy!

Hannah Bailey, Oxford

(Is Hannah Bailey a HTLALite?)

I must admit, I didn't know the connection between "gesund" and "sound", but it makes sense. I also didn't know about "wassail" except as a type of traditional Christmas song.

Edited by montmorency on 28 September 2012 at 7:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6662 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 2 of 33
28 September 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Interesting.

Religious phrases tend to permeate into language to the point that people lose the connection to the religion completely. I guess if a group of people wanted a new word to replace a religion-related one, that just goes with the aliveness of the language. But separating religion completely out of language is extreme and impractical. Even outspoken atheist Richard Dawkins said that people should be familiar with the Bible (at least the King James version) due to the amount of idioms that the language has absorbed from it.

Personally, I would welcome a "wassail" when someone sneezes, though! :-D

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4286 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 33
28 September 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Why would an atheist believe that a sneeze required any such response, explicitly religious or not? What would an atheist say in response to a fart?
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 33
28 September 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
Why would an atheist believe that a sneeze required any such
response, explicitly religious or not? What would an atheist say in response to a fart?

Because societies all around the globe have a response for sneezing? Doesn't matter if
it's religious or not. Culturally, a response is expected. For farts, not so much.

R.
==
10 persons have voted this message useful

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4286 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 5 of 33
28 September 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Looking at wikipedia's article on Sneeze, one sees that the reasons most often given for such a response have to do with religious or superstitious beliefs. So again, why would an atheist feel a need to perpetuate such beliefs in the form of a response? Might as well just say "God bless you" if a response is to be given to something believed might portend ill based on religious or superstitious beliefs.

Cortical
Tetraglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

30 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, SpanishB1
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 6 of 33
28 September 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Peregrinus wrote:
Looking at wikipedia's article on Sneeze, one sees that the reasons most often given for such a response have to do with religious or superstitious beliefs. So again, why would an atheist feel a need to perpetuate such beliefs in the form of a response? Might as well just say "God bless you" if a response is to be given to something believed might portend ill based on religious or superstitious beliefs.

The reasons might have originated from a religious or superstitious belief, but nowadays it has become a social norm. Atheists question religious beliefs, not social norms, and unless a social norm is deeply tied with a religious belief, it is perfectly fine by an atheist.
5 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4667 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 7 of 33
28 September 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
In Norway, we say "prosit", which according to Wikipedia is from latin and has something
to do with religious superstition...

the more you know, I guess..

Peregrinus
United States
Joined 4286 days ago

149 posts - 273 votes 

Message 8 of 33
28 September 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Cortical wrote:

The reasons might have originated from a religious or superstitious belief, but nowadays it has become a social norm. Atheists question religious beliefs, not social norms, and unless a social norm is deeply tied with a religious belief, it is perfectly fine by an atheist.

While that makes sense, and while noting that I am a religious believer and have a bias the same as an atheist would, my interest is in the degree to which people feel it necessary if at all, to engage in explicitly avoiding or countering certain language constructions, and how much awkward circumlocution they are willing to use to achieve same.

This goes both ways as to religious belief, and I recall having lunch many years ago with a fellow religious believer who seemed just too "goody-goody". I asked her if she had any vices and she replied that she had "enjoyments". While the denotation of a vice may generally be a legitimate "enjoyment" taken to an extreme in proportion or as to its effects, she took pains to avoid using "vice" in the general connotation of a simple pleasure/"enjoyment".

Edited by Peregrinus on 28 September 2012 at 11:00pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version