14 September 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I have a very practical question: how useful would a visit to Montréal
be for a student of standard French?

Here are some accents you might encounter in Montreal, if you speak relatively
"standard" French to strangers:

A relatively strong accent (but not the strongest I've heard):
Interview with Benny Lewis

A nice cross-section of accents, mostly milder (but listen to the interviews, too):
News from Quebec

Entirely "standard" French on children's television:
Caillou

You might encounter any of these in Montreal.

With a little bit of practice, it's not too bad. If you're like me, you may find that
you lose a CEFR level of comprehension with the stronger accents. You'll also run into
a noticeable number of bilinguals who are native or near-native in English, who will be
strongly tempted to switch and help you out. But in my experience, nobody has ever been
nasty or condescending about switching to English.

Overall, I'm a fan of Montreal. I find that it's easy to keep my French "online" in a
predominantly francophone city, and there are lots of friendly people, interesting
bookstores and good bakeries.

Edited by emk on 14 September 2012 at 12:31am

4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5241 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 50 of 82
14 September 2012 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
To come back to the question of whether or not Québécois French is a distinct language, I think the argument has to be made not so much on linguistic criteria as political and cultural criteria.

If you look solely at linguistic criteria, one could say that there is basically only one English language, one Spanish and one French language spoken around the world with some local phonetic variations. The written language is nearly identical and it only takes days for a native speaker to become accustomed to a different variant if it's not too deep.

On the other hand, I would argue that when a national variant has developed a significant mass of distinctive reference works, a body of literature and a massive cultural output, that variety can warrant being called a distinct language.

For that reason I believe that American English is a distinct language. H. L. Mencken wrote a book called the American Language using this sort of argument. American English is the English of the United States. There's Canadian English, British English, Australian English, etc. And within these different countries there are regional variants.

Now, one could argue that Québécois doesn't qualify yet as a distinct language because all the criteria are not yet met. A lot has changed in terms of cultural output and literature, but what is sorely lacking is a distinctive body of reference works, e.g. dictionaries and grammars. It's changing but very slowly because there is a very significant part of the population that still believes that Québécois French is inferior to that of France and must not be allowed to deviate from some supposedly international standard by the development of local reference materials.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 51 of 82
14 September 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Now, one could argue that Québécois doesn't qualify yet as a distinct language because all the criteria are
not yet met. A lot has changed in terms of cultural output and literature, but what is sorely lacking is a
distinctive body of reference works, e.g. dictionaries and grammars. It's changing but very slowly because
there is a very significant part of the population that still believes that Québécois French is inferior to that of
France and must not be allowed to deviate from some supposedly international standard by the development
of local reference materials.

I agree with you.

This is also reflected in the teaching of the language. It's common for students to bring some expression to
their teacher only to be met with something like "yes, people say that but it's not correct". So the spoken
language differs from the standard language, that doesn't make the spoken language wrong, inferior or less
valid, it's simply different.

It's also reflected in the type of publications that are published on the subject. Most books that deal with
Québécois treat it as if it were exotic or humourous. Can you name a book that teaches the grammar and the
vocabulary of spoken Québécois from a serious didactic standpoint? French teachers tend to have a
backgroung in literature, not in linguistics, and to them, the spoken language is not the real language. But if
you move to Colombo tomorrow and you need to take a taxi, you won't care whether the language the driver
uses matches the standard variety or not, you need to be able to communicate in the real word, not in a book.

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 52 of 82
14 September 2012 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
emk wrote:
I've never heard anybody claim that "Vermont English" is
actually a separate language, though, despite the difficulty of understanding farmers
from the World War II generation. :-)

Nobody said QF was a separate language. Just a different enough language variety spoken
by a large enough population to warrant tagging it separately from French so that
information on QF can be properly identified as such.

But yes, there is indeed a dialect continuum as you mention. On the one hand, I can use
standard French in the right situations and then turn around and use Québécois.

I'll go:
from "je vais t'en acheter quelques-uns" to "m'as te nn'ach'ter une coup'",
from "ne t'en fais pas" to "fais-toé-z'en pas",
from "je ne les ai plus par contre" to "j'es ai pu par exemple", or
from "elle a attrapé la grippe" to "a' pogné 'a grippe".

A person may or may not need to understand the latter, depending on their needs, but
the learner deserves an explanation that French books won't cover.

But you see, each one of those differences is a regular one that an SF speaker can pick
up on and henceforth understand without issue. You've just covered about a third of
what you need to know to understand just about any Quebecker you'll ever meet.

Someone who speaks SF can be initiated into QF in a few hours. You need to learn about
the interrogative 'tu', assibilation of D and Z after slender vowels, that "je vais"
becomes "j'va" or "m'a", the several definitions of "pogner", the basic rules of
swearing and POOF ! You're almost done. The rest is all commentary.

We don't see separate tags for UK and US English even if a speaker from a small town in
Texas and one from a small town in Noerthern Eangland often use very different
pronunciation and vocabulary. The reason is that despite the existence of those two
extremes, the vast majority of speakers in both countries use an everyday language that
is much the same and mutually intelligible.

I've known people from Paris, Brussels, Kinshasa, Fort-de-France et beyond arrive in
Chicoutimi and from day 1 have absolutely no problem getting around and, within a
couple weeks, their ears are already perfectly accustomed to Quebec vernacular speech.
There are obciously differences, but they aren't all that dramatic.

I am reticent to "separate" SF and QF so formally because I think that it delegitimizes
the French spoken here and that it contributes to the oft-quipped, slanderous
stereotype that QF is not "real" French, but simply a patois, which is simply not true.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 53 of 82
14 September 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:

I am reticent to "separate" SF and QF so formally because I think that it delegitimizes
stereotype that QF is not "real" French, but simply a patois, which is simply not true.

People come here to learn languages. This is about providing yet another tool to enable people to study as
they please. It will not affect, in any way, the validity or legitimacy of the French spoken in Québec.

I understand where you are coming from though, and I used to share that view, which is mostly fueled by our
sense of inadequacy and this constant idea that we have to change the way we speak so it's "correct". I come
from a Linguistics backgroung where the words dialect, patois, language variety, etc., do not have a negative
connotation. In Québec, even the word dialect is seen as an insult -- it's high time we learned to call a spade
a spade and deal with reality. I also think that this unwillingness to embrace the spoken language as a valid
form of language hinders the integration efforts of many new comers to the province.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5241 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 54 of 82
14 September 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:
[QUOTE=Arekkusu] ...
Someone who speaks SF can be initiated into QF in a few hours. You need to learn about
the interrogative 'tu', assibilation of D and Z after slender vowels, that "je vais"
becomes "j'va" or "m'a", the several definitions of "pogner", the basic rules of
swearing and POOF ! You're almost done. The rest is all commentary.

We don't see separate tags for UK and US English even if a speaker from a small town in
Texas and one from a small town in Noerthern Eangland often use very different
pronunciation and vocabulary. The reason is that despite the existence of those two
extremes, the vast majority of speakers in both countries use an everyday language that
is much the same and mutually intelligible.

I've known people from Paris, Brussels, Kinshasa, Fort-de-France et beyond arrive in
Chicoutimi and from day 1 have absolutely no problem getting around and, within a
couple weeks, their ears are already perfectly accustomed to Quebec vernacular speech.
There are obciously differences, but they aren't all that dramatic.

This is the very problem. I think that by recognizing Québécois French as a national language, i.e. the Québécois language, we would eliminate much of the prejudices and negative attitudes that people have today. In fact, this is exactly what is happening today. If you look at the language of movies, theatre, television and songs, we are seeing the legitimization of Québécois as the vernacular is taking its rightful place as a legitimate form of national expression.

In the past purists have always asserted that Québécois French was not good French because of differences from European French. This is why we still have today on Radio-Canada the "capsules linguistiques" that attempt to teach people how to speak properly.

In fact, what is happening is that the particularities of Québécois French are not dying out; quite the contrary, they are more present than ever and are being recognized and accepted. The next step is simply to say that we have our own national variety of French.

About the American and British examples, of course, we can say that it's all English, but it's very clear that there are two (or more) distinct national varieties of English. So much so that teaching materials will say American English explicitly (I find the British publications usually say just English).

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 55 of 82
14 September 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I have a very practical question: how useful would a visit to Montréal
be for a student
of standard French?   

I believe Benny Lewis has a blog entry about how much easier it was for him to learn
French in Canada than in France. I think he found Montrealers to be much more open to
speaking French with him than Parisians.

Obviously it is just his experience but for what it's worth...

http://www.fluentin3months.com/quebecois
/

1 person has voted this message useful

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4588 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 56 of 82
15 September 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I myself am not uninitiated to the field of linguistics, though by no means a linguist.
I studied phonetics and lexicography in my undergrad at the Université du Québec à
Chioutimi. I have personally met and discussed the norm debate with the people working
on the Dictionnaire Franqus (notably Hélène Cajolet-Laganière who is a professor at the
Université de Sherbrooke where I currently attend), and I agree with much of their
position. However, there is still an ongoing debate about the linguistic norm in
Quebec. The issue is not settled and I find myself in the middle of the two extremes. I
do not think that the Quebec norm should follow the European norm to the letter, but
nor do I think we should stray too far from it. I think that would alienate us even
more, isolate Quebec even further to where not only would we be estranged from the
North American majority, but also from the Francophonie. If we want to really render
our language useless and to exacerbate our dependence on the English language in order
to communicate with the outside world, creating a Québécois "language" is the quickest
way to get there.

The "aménagement linguistique" which has been taking place in Quebec for over 50 years
has changed the spoken language immensely and will continue to. It has effectively
brought QF into the international fold. It has changed our pronunciation, our
vocabulary, our grammar... everything. Before then, most Québécois would not have been
able to easily conversse with someone from France or Africa without training. Now it
happens spontaneously without issue.

I'm not sure if you have ever attended francisation classes intended for immigrants (I
did every night for almost a year), but they are very much anchored in a practical
approach. They teach you what you need to get by in everyday situations, they teach you
the standard rules of the language and they also expose you to the vernacular concepts
you will need to succeed. And that's all anyone needs to understand and speak QF. They
need a good grasp on how the standard language works and then practical lessons on the
differences between that standard language and the vernacular.

Edited by lecavaleur on 15 September 2012 at 1:59am

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version